Jude R. Sunderbruch, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Executive Director, Air Force Office of Special Investigations, Quantico, Virginia. He serves as the Deputy to the AFOSI commander. His responsibilities include strategic engagement, enterprise and headquarters management, the development and integration of cyber and other command priorities and oversight of the Special Investigations Career Program.
He entered the Air Force in 1994 as a distinguished graduate of the ROTC. He served as an active duty AFOSI special agent from 1994 until 2001, when he became a civil servant and a reservist. He has served on interagency and international committees related to cyber security, information sharing and national security matters. He served in deployed leadership roles in Bosnia-Herzegovina as an officer and in Iraq as a civilian. He is also a colonel in the Air Force Reserve and is designated as a Cyber Officer, Joint Qualified Officer and as a Foreign Area Officer for Europe.
1994 Bachelor of Science, Economics, Certificate in International Business, University of Iowa, Iowa City
1996 Master of International Management, Whitworth College, Spokane, Wash.
2006 Advanced French Language, Defense Language Institute, Washington, D.C.
2008 Doctor of Philosophy, Public Policy, The George Mason University, Fairfax, Va.
2011 Air Force Leadership Enhancement Program, Center for Creative Leadership, Greensboro, N.C.
2013 Distinguished Graduate, Master’s and Certificate, Long-Term Strategy, Eisenhower School, Washington, D.C.
2014 Defense Senior Leader Development Program – Certificate of Completion
2016 Air Force Cyber 400 Course and iCollege Chief Information Officer 2.0 Course, Washington, D.C.
CIVIL SERVICE ASSIGNMENTS
1. August 2001–September 2002, Staff Officer, Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va. (with periods at FBI Headquarters and Headquarters Air Force Office of Special Investigations)
2. September 2002–September 2006, Desk Officer, then Branch Chief, Headquarters AFOSI, Andrews Air Force Base, Md.
3. September 2006–September 2009, Special Agent in Charge, AFOSI Detachment 538, U.S. Embassy, Paris
4. September 2009–August 2012, Associate Director for Counterintelligence, Headquarters AFOSI, Quantico, Va.
5. August 2012–August 2013, Student, Eisenhower School, National Defense University, Washington, D.C.
6. August 2013–March 2015, Special Advisor to the Assistant Director, Cyber Division, FBI Headquarters, Washington, D.C.
7. March 2015–May 2019, Command Counterintelligence Coordinating Authority, U.S. European Command, Stuttgart, Germany
8. May 2019–present, Executive Director, Headquarters AFOSI, Quantico, Va.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
National Counterintelligence Executive Award for Superior Achievement
National Military Intelligence Association – Colonel John Lansdale Award
Defense Superior Service Medal
Joint Meritorious Civilian Service Award
Army Superior Civilian Service Award
Air Force Meritorious Civilian Service Award with three oak leaf clusters
(Current as of September 2019)