Brig. Gen. David W. Abba is the Director of the F-35 Integration Office, Headquarters United States Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Virginia. He advises the Secretary of the Air Force and the Air Force Chief of Staff on the multi-billion dollar F-35 Lightning II program and engages with the Office of the Secretary of Defense, the Joint Strike Fighter Program Office, other services, Air Force major commands and partner and customer nation representatives to advance the operational capabilities and sustainment needs of the F-35A Lightning II aircraft.
Brig. Gen. Abba earned his commission through the United States Air Force Academy in 1995 with a Bachelor of Science in Human Factors Engineering. He has held a variety of flying assignments at the squadron, group and wing level, including serving as the weapons officer for the 58th Fighter Squadron at Eglin Air Force Base, Florida, director of operations for the 27th Fighter Squadron and commander of the 94th Fighter Squadron, both at Langley AFB, Virginia, and commander of the 3rd Operations Group at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska. The general’s staff assignments include Airpower Strategist in Project CHECKMATE, Assistant Executive Officer to the Air Force Chief of Staff and Senior Air Force Strategy Advisor in the Office of the Secretary of Defense for Policy. Prior to his current position, he was the commander, 53rd Wing, Eglin AFB, Florida.
1995 Bachelor of Science, Human Factors Engineering, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2002 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2003 U.S. Air Force Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
2007 Master of Arts, National Security and Strategic Studies, College of Naval Command and Staff, Naval Station Newport, R.I.
2007 Naval Operational Planner Course (now Maritime Advanced Warfighting School), Naval Station Newport, R.I.
2008 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2013 Master of Science, National Resource Strategy, Dwight D. Eisenhower School for National Security and Resource Strategy, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2015 Fellow, Seminar XXI, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Washington, D.C.
1. July 1995–May 1996, Intercollegiate Program Manager, Athletic Department, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2. May 1996–September 1997, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Naval Air Station Whiting Field, Fla., and Vance Air Force Base, Okla.
3. September 1997–December 1997, Student, Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals, Columbus AFB, Miss.
4. January 1998–June 1998, Student, F-15C Formal Training Unit, 2nd Fighter Squadron, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
5. July 1998–February 2001, F-15C Instructor Pilot, 71st Fighter Squadron, Langley AFB, Va.
6. March 2001–June 2003, F-15C Instructor Pilot and Academic Instructor, 95th Fighter Squadron, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
7. July 2003–December 2003, Student, U.S. Air Force Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
8. January 2004–June 2006, Squadron Weapons Officer, 58th Fighter Squadron and Wing Weapons Officer, Eglin AFB, Fla.
9. July 2006–September 2007, Student, College of Naval Command and Staff and Naval Operational Planner Course, Naval Station Newport, R.I.
10. September 2007–March 2009, Airpower Strategist, CHECKMATE and Assistant Executive Officer to the Chief of Staff, U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
11. July 2009–June 2012, Operations Officer, 27th Fighter Squadron; Commander, 94th Fighter Squadron; Deputy Commander, 1st Operations Group, Langley AFB, Va.
12. July 2012–June 2013, Student, Dwight D. Eisenhower School for National Security and Resource Strategy (formerly ICAF), Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
13. June 2013–May 2015, Senior Air Force Strategy Advisor, Office of Strategy and Force Development, Office of the Secretary of Defense for Policy, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
14. May 2015–June 2017, Commander, 3rd Operations Group, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska
15. June 2017–June 2019, Commander, 53rd Wing, Eglin AFB, Fla.
16. July 2019–present, Director, F-35 Integration Office, headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
June 2013–May 2015, Senior Air Force Strategy Advisor, Office of Strategy and Force Development, Office of the Secretary of Defense for Policy, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va. as a lieutenant colonel and colonel
Rating: command Pilot
Flight Hours: more than 2,100
Aircraft Flown: T-38A, AT-38B, F-22A, F-15C/D/E, F-16D, E-3B/C, C-12F, C-17A, B-1B, B-2A, B-52H, HC-130J, HH-60G, TU-2S, E-9A
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award
2002 Distinguished Graduate, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2003 Flying Award, U.S. Air Force Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
2007 Distinguished Graduate, College of Naval Command and Staff, Naval Station Newport, R.I.
2013 Distinguished Graduate, Dwight D. Eisenhower School for National Security and Resource Strategy, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 31, 1995
First Lieutenant May 31, 1997
Captain May 31, 1999
Major Aug. 1, 2005
Lieutenant Colonel Mar. 1, 2009
Colonel Oct. 1, 2014
Brigadier General Nov. 2, 2019
(Current as of November 2019)