Brig. Gen. Roy W. Collins is Director of Security Forces, Deputy Chief of Staff for Logistics, Engineering and Force Protection, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Virginia. He is the focal point for ensuring the physical security of Air Force nuclear assets and planning and programming for more than 38,000 active-duty and Reserve component security forces at locations worldwide. He provides policy and oversight for protecting Air Force resources from terrorism, criminal acts, sabotage and acts of war and ensures Security Forces are trained, equipped and ready to support contingency and exercise plans.
Brig. Gen. Collins joined the Air Force in May 1995 as a graduate from the United States Air Force Academy. He served on the Air Mobility Command staff as Chief, Antiterrorism and Force Protection Branch, and as the Air Combat Command’s Director, Commander’s Action Group. He has commanded the 95th Security Force Squadron at Edwards Air Force Base, California, and the 341st Missile Security Forces Squadron, Malmstrom Air Force Base, Montana, and then the Deputy Commander for the 341st Security Forces Group, Malmstrom Air Force Base, Montana. Brig. Gen. Collins also commanded the 5th Mission Support Group, Minot Air Force Base, North Dakota, and the 37th Training Wing, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas. Additionally, he was the Deputy Director, United States Air Forces Central Command, Air Force Forces Force Protection, Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar. Prior to his current assignment, Brig. Gen. Collins was the Chief, Strategic Planning Integration Division, Headquarters United States Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Virginia.
1995 Bachelor of Science, Political Science, United States Air Force Academy, Colo.
2000 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2002 Master of Science in Space Studies, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks, N.D.
2005 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2006 Air Command and Staff College intermediate developmental education credit for in-residence program, Washington, D.C.
2011 Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2014 Hoover Institution on War, Revolution, Peace, Stanford University, Washington, D.C.
2014 Level IV Antiterrorism Executive Training, Tysons Corner, Va.
2015 Joint Forces Staff College, National Defense University, Norfolk, Va.
2018 Leadership Executive Development, Kenan-Flagler Business School, University of North Carolina
2019 AF Office of Special Investigations Senior Leader Security Seminar, Montross, Va.
2020 Cybersecurity: Intersection of Policy & Technology, Harvard’s Kennedy School of Government, Cambridge, Mass.
1. May 1995–May 1997, Security Police Flight Commander, 446th Missile Squadron, Grand Forks Air Force Base, N.D.
2. May 1997–May 1998, Officer in Charge, Mobile Fire Teams, Security Escort teams and Convoy Commander, 321st Security Forces Squadron, Grand Forks AFB, N.D.
3. May 1998–May 1999, Officer in Charge, Training and Resources Branch, 92nd Security Forces Squadron, Fairchild AFB, Wash.
4. May 1999–February 2001, Operations Officer, 92nd Security Forces Squadron, Fairchild AFB, Wash.
5. February 2001–October 2001, Chief, Antiterrorism and Force Protection Branch, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
6. October 2001–April 2002, Executive Officer, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
7. April 2002–June 2003, Air Force Intern Program: Joint Staff United Nations Multilateral Affairs Division and Secretary of the Air Force Office of the Inspector General rotations, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
8. June 2003–June 2005, Deputy Chief, Nuclear Security Branch, Headquarters Air Force Security Force Center, Lackland AFB, Texas
9. June 2005–July 2007, Commander, 95th Security Forces Squadron, Edwards AFB, Calif.
10. February 2006–September 2006, Combined Security Transition Command - Afghanistan, Police Reform Directorate, Kabul, Afghanistan
11. July 2007–July 2009, Commander, 341st Missile Security Forces Squadron, Malmstrom AFB, Mont.
12. July 2009–January 2010, Deputy Commander, 341st Security Forces Group, Malmstrom AFB, Mont.
13. January 2010–January 2011, Deputy Director, U.S. Air Force Central Command Air Force Forces Force Protection, Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar
14. January 2011–May 2012, Chief, Security Forces Operations Branch, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va.
15. May 2012–June 2013, Director, Commander’s Action Group, Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va.
16. June 2013–July 2014, National Security Affairs Fellow, Stanford University, Stanford, Calif.
17. July 2014–May 2016, Commander, 5th Mission Support Group, Minot AFB, N.D.
18. May 2016–July 2018, Commander, 37th Training Wing, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas
19. July 2018–August 2019, Chief, Strategic Planning Integration Division, Headquarters United States Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va
20. August 2019–present, Director or Security Forces, Deputy Chief of Staff for Logistics, Engineering and Force Protection, Headquarters United States Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with silver and bronze oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with three oak leaf clusters
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 1, 1995
First Lieutenant May 1, 1997
Captain May 1, 1999
Major Aug. 1, 2005
Lieutenant Colonel March 1, 2009
Colonel Oct. 1, 2014
Brigadier General Nov. 2, 2019
(Current as of February 2020)