Brig. Gen. Charles D. Bolton is the U.S. Transportation Command Global Operations Center Chief, Scott Air Force Base, Illinois. USTRANSCOM provides full-spectrum, global mobility solutions and related enabling capabilities for combatant command requirements in peace and war. The Global Operations Center coordinates with the Joint Staff, combatant commands, component commands, commercial industry, and other agencies to ensure movement plans are developed, prioritized and implemented.
Brig. Gen. Bolton was commissioned upon graduation from the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1994. He has performed flying duties at Yokota Air Base, Japan, Little Rock AFB, Arkansas, and Pope AFB, North Carolina. He has commanded the 386th Expeditionary Operations Support Squadron, Southwest Asia, the 314th Operations Group at Little Rock AFB, and the 386th Air Expeditionary Wing, Southwest Asia. Prior to his current assignment, the general was the Deputy Director of Operations, Strategic Deterrence and Nuclear Integration, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
Brig. Gen. Bolton is a master navigator with more than 2,800 hours in the C-130E and C-130H, and he is a distinguished graduate of the U.S. Air Force Weapons School. He has served multiple tours supporting operations Inherent Resolve, Enduring and Iraqi Freedom.
1994 Bachelor of Science, Biology, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1999 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1999 United States Air Force Mobility Weapons School, Little Rock AFB, Ark. and Nellis AFB, Nev.
2002 Master of Science, Computer Resources and Information Management, Webster University, Mo.
2004 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2006 Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
2009 Air War College, Maxwell, AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2012 National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. August 1994–November 1995, Student, Joint Undergraduate Navigator Training, Randolph Air Force Base, Texas
2. November 1995–December 1998, Scheduler, Life Support Officer, Tactics Officer, Instructor Navigator, 36th Airlift Squadron, Yokota Air Base, Japan
3. December 1998–May 1999, Tactics Officer, Instructor Navigator, 374th Operations Support Squadron,
Yokota AB, Japan
4. May 1999–December 1999, C-130 Weapons Instructor Course, Little Rock AFB, Ark. and Nellis AFB, Nev.
5. December 1999–May 2001, Joint Readiness Instructor and Evaluator Navigator, Joint Operations Directorate, Combat Aerial Delivery School, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
6. May 2001–May 2002, Regional Operations Director, Tanker Airlift Control Center, Scott AFB, Ill.
7. May 2002–June 2003, Chief of C-21, C-12, UH-1 Requirements, Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
8. June 2003–June 2005, Flight Commander, Wing Weapons and Tactics, 43d Operations Support Squadron, Pope AFB, N.C.
9. June 2005–June 2006, Assistant Operations Officer, 41st Airlift Squadron, Pope AFB, N.C.
10. June 2006–June 2007, Student, Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
11.June 2007–June 2009, Operations Liaison Officer, North American Aerospace Defense Command and United States Northern Command, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
12. June 2009–June 2010, Commander, 386th Expeditionary Operations Support Squadron, Southwest Asia
13. June 2010–June 2011, Executive Officer to the Vice Commander, AMC, Scott AFB, Ill.
14. June 2011–June 2012, Student, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
15. June 2012–June 2014, Conventional Arms Control Branch Chief, Joint Staff J5 Strategic Plans and Policy Directorate, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
16. June 2014–June 2016, Commander, 314th Operations Group, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
17. June 2016–July 2017, Commander, 386th Air Expeditionary Wing, Southwest Asia
18. July 2017–April 2018, Deputy Director of Intelligence, Operations, and Nuclear Integration for Flying Training, Headquarters Air Education and Training Command, Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph, Texas
19. April 2018–May 2019, Deputy Director of Operations and Communications, JBSA-Randolph, Texas
20. May 2019–July 2020, Vice Commander, 18th Air Force, Scott AFB, Ill.
21. July 2020–June 2021, Deputy Director of Operations, Strategic Deterrence and Nuclear Integration, Headquarters AMC, Scott AFB, Ill.
22. July 2021–present, Chief, Global Operations Center, U.S. Transportation Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
Rating: master navigator
Flight hours: more than 2,800
Aircraft Flown: C-130E, C-130H
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Bronze Star Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Army Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 1, 1994
First Lieutenant June 1, 1996
Captain June 1, 1998
Major Sept. 1, 2004
Lieutenant Colonel March 1, 2009
Colonel Oct. 1, 2014
Brigadier General Nov. 1, 2019
(Current as of August 2021)