Maj. Gen. Steven G. Edwards is the Commanding General, Special Operations Command-Europe, at Patch Barracks, Germany. SOCEUR provides full-spectrum special operations forces in the air, land and maritime domains in support of European Command priorities. The command includes more than 2,000 active-duty, Reserve, Air National Guard and civilian professionals.
Maj. Gen. Edwards served in the Army for four years as a warrant officer, then received his commission through the Officer Training School at Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama, and has spent most of his career in special operations aviation assignments. He is a command pilot with more than 3,800 flying hours, including 250 combat/support hours in Iraq and Afghanistan in a variety of rotary wing and remotely piloted aircraft.
1994 Bachelor of Science, Professional Aeronautics, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, Fla.
1998 Master of Aeronautical Science, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, Fla.
2000 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2003 U.S. Air Force Weapons School, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
2006 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2008 Master of Military Operational Art and Science, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2009 Master of Airpower Art and Science, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2012 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2014 Master of Strategic Studies, U.S. Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
1. February 1991–May 1991, Army Basic Training, Fort Jackson, S.C.
2. May 1991–May 1992, Student, Warrant Officer Flight Training School, Fort Rucker, Ala.
3. May 1992–May1993, OH-58C Helicopter Pilot, 1st Battalion, 123rd Attack Aviation Battalion, Fort Ord, Calif.
4. May 1993–January 1995, OH-58C, 1st Battalion, 4th Attack Aviation Battalion, Fort Carson, Colo.
5. January 1995–May 1995, Student, Air Force Officer Training School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
6. May 1995–August 1998, HH-1H Examiner Helicopter Pilot, Minot AFB, N.D.
7. August 1998–May 1999, Student, MH-53J Qualification Course, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
8. May 1999-May 2000, MH-53J Aircraft Commander, 31st Special Operations Squadron, Osan Air Base, South Koea
9. May 2000–June 2003, MH-53M Flight Examiner and Chief of Standards/Evaluation, 21st Special Operations Squadron, Royal Air Force Base Mildenhall, United Kingdom
10. June 2003–December 2003, Student, U.S. Air Force Weapons School, 14th Weapons Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
11. January 2004–July 2005, Flight Commander/MH-53M Weapons Officer/Flight Examiner, 20th Special Operations Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
12. July 2005–August 2007, Assistant Operations Officer/Director, MH-53 Weapons Instructor Course, 14th Weapons Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
13. August 2007–August 2008, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
14. August 2008–July 2009, Student, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
15. July 2009–June 2010, Chief of Long-Range Planning, Headquarters Air Force Special Operations Command, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
16. June 2010–January 2011, Operations Officer, 3rd Special Operations Squadron, Cannon AFB, N.M.
17. January 2011–May 2013, Commander, 33rd Special Operations Squadron, Cannon AFB, N.M.
18. June 2013–June 2014, Student, U.S. Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
19. July 2014–June 2016, Commander, 435th Contingency Response Group, Ramstein AB, Germany
20. June 2016–May 2017, Commander, 1st Expeditionary Special Operations Wing, Al Udeid, Qatar and Bagram AB, Afghanistan
21. June 2017–July 2-19, Special Assistant to the Commander, United Nations Command/Combined Forces Command/U.S. Forces Korea, South Korea
22. August 2019–March 2020, President, Joint Special Operations University, MacDill AFB, Fla.
23. March 2020–June 2021, Director, Strategic Plans, Programs, and Requirements, Air Force Special Operations Command, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
24. July 2021–June 2022, Chief of Staff, U.S. Air Forces in Europe and Air Forces Africa, Ramstein AB, Germany
25. June 2022–present, Commander, Special Operations Command-Europe, Patch Barracks, Germany
Rating: command pilot
Flight Hours: more than 3,800
Aircraft Flown: UH-1, OH-58 A/C, HH-1H, MH-53J, MH-53M, MQ-1B, MQ-9
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Distinguished Flying Cross with “V” device
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Commendation Medal
2004 Air Force Special Operations Command Pilot of the Year
2004 Koren Kolligian Jr. Trophy Recipient
2004 Air Force Valor Award Recipient
(Current as of January 2023)