Brig. Gen. Jason E. Bailey is the Commander, 31st Fighter Wing, Aviano Air Base, Italy. He commands the only permanently assigned U.S. Air Force fighter aircraft wing in NATO’s Southern Region. With approximately 4,200 active-duty military members, nearly 300 U.S. civilians and 700 Italian civilian employees, the wing conducts and supports air combat operations, and maintains munitions for NATO.
The wing’s diverse mission sets are executed by Airmen that fly, maintain and support two F-16CM Fighting Falcon fighter squadrons, two combat search and rescue squadrons with pararescue Airmen and HH-60 Pave Hawks, U.S. Air Forces Europe’s only air control squadron, agile combat support squadrons, medical squadrons and numerous wing staff agencies.
Brig. Gen. Bailey received his commission through the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1995. He has commanded at the squadron, group and wing levels. His staff assignments include the Headquarters Air Force Staff and the Joint Staff. He has flown combat missions in support of operations in Bosnia, Kosovo, Iraq, Libya and Afghanistan.
Prior to his current assignment, Brig. Gen. Bailey was the Director, Checkmate, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Virginia.
1995 Bachelor of Science, Political Science, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2001 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2006 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2008 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2010 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2014 Eisenhower School, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2018 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Kenan-Flagler Business School, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
1. February 1996–May 1997, Undergraduate Navigator Training, Pensacola Naval Air Station, Fla., and Randolph Air Force Base, Texas
2. December 1997–June 2001, Instructor Navigator, Mission Scheduler and Assistant Chief of Weapons and Tactics, 41st Airlift Squadron, Pope AFB, N.C.
3. June 2001–July 2002, Student, Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, Vance AFB, Okla.
4. September 2002–August 2003, Student, Formal Training Unit, Luke AFB, Ariz.
5. September 2003–April 2005, Flight Lead and Flight Commander, 80th Fighter Squadron, Kunsan Air Base, South Korea
6. May 2005–July 2007, Instructor Pilot, Flight Commander, Assistant Director of Operations and then Director of Operations, 523rd Fighter Squadron, Cannon AFB, N.M.
7. July 2007–July 2008, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
8. July 2008–October 2010, Pilot Career Field Manager, Aggressor Program Element Manager, Combat Air Force Training Program Element Manager and then Chief, Colonel Fighter, Air Battle Manager, Air Traffic Controller Assignments, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
9. February 2011–July 2013, Instructor Pilot, Chief of 31st Fighter Wing Plans and Programs, then Commander, 31st Operations Support Squadron, Aviano AB, Italy
10. August 2013–June 2014 Student, Eisenhower School for National Security and Resource Strategy, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
11. July 2014–July 2016, Deputy Division Chief, Global Force Management Division, Joint Chiefs of Staff J-3, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
12. July 2016–July 2017, Commander, 455th Expeditionary Operations Group, Bagram Airfield, Afghanistan
13. August 2017–September 2019, Commander, 52nd Fighter Wing, Spangdahlem AB, Germany
14. September 2019–May 2020, Director, Checkmate, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
15. June 2020–present, Commander, 31st Fighter Wing, Aviano AB, Italy
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. July 2014–July 2016, Deputy Division Chief, Global Force Management Division, Joint Chiefs of Staff J-3, as a lieutenant colonel and colonel
Rating: command pilot
Flight Hours: more than 3,200
Combat Hours: more than 600
Aircraft Flown: F-16C/CG/CM, C-130J, EC-130, HH-60, T-38, T-37, C-130E, T-43 and T-34
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Bronze Star Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATE OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 31, 1995
First Lieutenant May 31, 1997
Captain May 31, 1999
Major Aug. 1, 2005
Lieutenant Colonel July 1, 2010
Colonel May 1, 2016
Brigadier General Frocked
(Current as of June 2020)