Brig. Gen. Michael E. Conley is the Deputy Commander, Combined Force Space Component Command, U.S. Space Command, Vandenberg Air Force Base, California. As Deputy Commander, Brig. Gen. Conley leads more than 17,000 joint and combined personnel with a mission to plan, integrate, conduct and assess global space operations in order to deliver combat relevant space capabilities to Combatant Commanders, coalition partners, the Joint Force and the nation. Brig. Gen. Conley plans and executes space operations through four distinct and geographically dispersed operations centers, including: Combined Space Operations Center at Vandenberg Air Force Base; Missile Warning Center at Cheyenne Mountain Air Force Station, Colorado; Joint Overhead Persistent Infrared Planning Center at Buckley Air Force Base, Colorado; and Joint Navigation Warfare Center located at Kirtland Air Force Base, New Mexico.
Additionally, Brig. Gen. Conley provides space capabilities such as space domain awareness, space electronic warfare, satellite communications, missile warning, nuclear detonation detection, environmental monitoring, military intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance, navigation warfare, command and control, and positioning, navigation and timing in support of U.S. Space Command and the other combatant commands.
Prior to arriving to Combined Force Space Component Command, Brig. Gen. Conley served as the Commander of the 1st Special Operations Wing, Hurlburt Field, Florida, and the Vice Commander of the 27th Special Operations Wing at Cannon Air Force Base, New Mexico. He also previously served as Deputy Director of the Chairman’s Action Group and as a Special Assistant to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Virginia.
Brig. Gen. Conley received his commission through the U.S. Air Force Academy in May 1996. Since completing pilot training in 1998, he has operational experience flying the UH-1N, MH-53 and CV-22, with the majority of his assignments in special operations aviation.
1996 Bachelor of Science, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
2000 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2004 Master of Science, Management, University of Maryland University College, Adelphi, Md.
2006 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2008 Master of Arts, Communication, George Mason University, Va. (Air Force Intern Program)
2010 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2014 Master of Arts, National Security and Strategic Studies, U.S. Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
2017 Air Force Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Kenan-Flagler Business School, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
1. January 1997–August 1997, Student Pilot, T-37, Vance Air Force Base, Okla.
2. August 1997–July 1998, Student Pilot, UN-1H, Ft. Rucker, Ala.
3. July 1998–August 2001, UH-1N IP/Executive Officer, 1st Helicopter Squadron, Andrews AFB, Md.
4. August 2001–July 2002, Student Pilot, MH-53J, 551 SOS, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
5. July 2002–August 2004, MH-53J/M Instructor Pilot, 20 SOS, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
6. August 2004–February 2007, MH-53M Evaluator Pilot/Flight Commander, 21st SOS, RAF Mildenhall, United Kingdom
7. February 2007–July 2007, Assistant Operations Officer, 352 OSS, RAF Mildenhall, United Kingdom
8. July 2007–December 2008, AF Intern Program-Strategic Communication, George Mason University, Fairfax, Va.
9. December 2008–August 2009, Chief, Operations Team, SAF/PA, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
10. August 2009–June 2011, Chief, Wing Safety/CV-22 Pilot, 1 SOW, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
11. June 2011–July 2013, Commander, 58 OSS, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
12. July 2013–July 2014, Student, U.S. Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
13. July 2014–January 2015, Branch Chief, Joint Staff, J-7, Joint Lessons Learned Division, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
14. January 2015–June 2016, Deputy Director, CAG/Special Assistant to the CJCS, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
15. June 2016–June 2018, Vice Commander, 27 SOW, Cannon AFB, N.M.
16. June 2018–June 2020, Commander, 1 SOW, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
17. June 2020–present, Deputy Combined Force Space Component Commander, U.S. Space Command, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
Rating: command pilot
Flight Hours: more than 2,400 hours
Aircraft Flown: T-37, UH-1H/N, MH-53J/M, MV-22, CV-22B, and other special operations aircraft
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with silver leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Combat Action Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
2005 Air Force Special Operations Command Pilot of the Year
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 29, 1996
First Lieutenant May 29, 1998
Captain May 29, 2000
Major May 1, 2006
Lieutenant Colonel March 1, 2010
Colonel April 1, 2016
Brigadier General June 8, 2020
(Current as July 2020)