Brig. Gen. Jefferson J. O'Donnell is the Director of Regional Affairs for the Deputy Under Secretary of the Air Force, International Affairs, the Pentagon, Arlington, Virginia. He manages relationships and provides oversight and guidance for international programs supporting national security objectives through politico-military affairs, security assistance programs, education, training, cooperative research, and development. He oversees more than 3,300 foreign military sales cases valued at more than $240 billion.
Brig. Gen. O'Donnell entered the Air Force in 1996, receiving his commission from Air Force Officer Training School. He earned his pilot wings at Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training at Columbus Air Force Base, Mississippi. Brig. Gen. O’Donnell has commanded a fighter squadron and a fighter wing. He has flown in support of operations Southern Watch, Iraqi Freedom, Enduring Freedom, and Noble Eagle.
Brig. Gen. O'Donnell is a command pilot with more than 2,600 military and civilian flying hours, including more than 370 combat hours in fighter aircraft.
1995 Bachelors of Arts, Mathematics, University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana
2003 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2005 Masters of Organizational Management, The George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
2013 Masters of Strategic Studies, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. October 1996–April 1997, Services Officer, Columbus Air Force Base, Miss.
2. April 1997–June 1998, Student, Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, Columbus AFB, Miss.
3. June 1998–April 1999, Student, F15E Replacement Training Unit, 334th Fighter Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
4. April 1999–September 2002, F15E Pilot, Flight Lead, Supervisor of Flying, 492nd Fighter Squadron, Royal Air Force Lakenheath, United Kingdom
5. October 2002–July 2003, F15E Wing Functional Check Flight Pilot, Instructor Pilot, and Supervisor of Flying, 48th Operations Group, RAF Lakenheath, U.K.
6. August 2003–July 2005, Air Force Intern, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
7. August 2005–January 2007, F15E Instructor Pilot, Flight Commander, 335th Fighter Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
8. February 2007–December 2008, F15E Instructor & Evaluator Pilot, 335th Fighter Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
9. January 2008–June 2009, Aide-de-Camp to the Commander, Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, Va.
10. July 2009–May 2010, Director of Operations, 4th Operations Support Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
11. June 2010–November 2011, Commander, 333rd Fighter Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
12. December 2011–June 2012, Deputy Commander, 4th Operations Group, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C., with duties as Deputy Commander, 455th Expeditionary Operations Group, Bagram Airfield, Afghanistan
13. July 2012–May 2013, Student, Air War College, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
14. June 2013–June 2015, Senior Military Evaluator for Air Warfare Systems, Office of Director, Operational Test and Evaluation, Office of the Secretary of Defense, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
15. July 2015–March 2016, Vice Commander, 366th Fighter Wing, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
16. March 2016–September 2017, Commander, 366th Fighter Wing, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
17. September 2017–July 2019, Director, Air Force Colonels Management Office, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Va.
18. August 2019–June 2020, Special Assistant, Deputy Chief of Staff for Manpower, Personnel and Services, HAF, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
19. July 2020–June 2022, Senior Defense Official/Defense Attaché to the United Kingdom
20. July 2022–present, Director of Regional Affairs, Deputy Under Secretary of the Air Force, International Affairs, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. June 2013–June 2015, Senior Military Evaluator for Air Warfare Systems, Office of Director, Operational Test and Evaluation, Office of the Secretary of Defense, Arlington, Va., as a lieutenant colonel and colonel
2. July 2020-June 2022, Senior Defense Official/Defense Attaché to the United Kingdom, as a brigadier general
Rating: command pilot
Flight Hours: more than 2,600
Aircraft flown: T3, T37, T38, F15E and F15SG
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with oak leaf cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal
Afghanistan Campaign Medal
Iraq Campaign Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Oct. 4, 1996
First Lieutenant Oct. 4, 1998
Captain Oct. 4, 2000
Major Aug. 1, 2006
Lieutenant Colonel Mar. 1, 2010
Colonel Oct. 1, 2014
Brigadier General June 2, 2020
(Current as of August 2022)