Brig. Gen. Joseph Kunkel is the is the Commander, 332nd Air Expeditionary Wing, Southwest Asia, where he commands a composite wing that includes a wide array of combat Air Force capabilities including precision strike, aerial refueling, intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance, and combat search and rescue in direct support of Operation Inherent Resolve. The wing comprises five groups with more than 2,300 Total Force Airmen who operate across three different countries.
Brig. Gen. Kunkel was commissioned at the United States Air Force Academy in June of 1994. Following Undergraduate Pilot Training at Vance Air Force Base, Oklahoma, he was assigned to the F-15E Strike Eagle. He transitioned to the F-22 Raptor as part of Pacific Air Forces’ F-22 initial cadre where he served as the Director of Operations for the 525th Fighter Squadron and then the Commander of the 90th Fighter Squadron. Before assuming his current position, Brig. Gen. Kunkel was the Commander, 366th Fighter Wing, Air Combat Command, Mountain Home Air Force Base, Idaho.
Brig. Gen. Kunkel is a command pilot with more than 2,500 flying hours.
1994 Bachelor of Science, Aeronautical Engineering, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo. 2002 Master of Arts, Organizational Management, The George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
2013 Master of Arts, Strategic Studies, Air University, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2014 National Preparedness Leadership Initiative, Cohort XI, Harvard University, Kennedy School of Government, Cambridge, Mass.
2019 Air Force Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Kenan-Flagler Business School, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
1. February 1995–February 1996, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Vance Air Force Base, Okla.
2. February 1996–December 1996, Student, F-15E Replacement Training Unit, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
3. December 1996–December 1999, Flight Lead, 494th Fighter Squadron, Royal Air Force Lakenheath, United Kingdom
4. January 2000–June 2001, Instructor Pilot, 89th Flying Training Squadron, Sheppard AFB, Texas
5. June 2001–June 2002, Student, Air Force Intern Program, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
6. June 2002–November 2004, Flight Commander, Instructor Pilot, 90th Fighter Squadron, Elmendorf AFB,
7. November 2004–July 2007, Executive Officer to the Air Force (A3/5), the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
8. August 2007–June 2010, Director of Operations, 525th Fighter Squadron, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
9. June 2010–May 2012, Commander, 90th Fighter Squadron, Joint Base Elmendorf Richardson, Alaska
10. June 2012–June 2013, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
11. July 2013–June 2015, Director of Operations, Alaskan Command, Joint Base Elmendorf Richardson, Alaska
12. June 2015–September 2017, Vice Commander, 325th Fighter Wing, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
13. September 2017–July 2019, Commander, 366th Fighter Wing, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho 14. July 2019–June 2020, Vice Director of Operations, Headquarters North American Air Defense Command, Colo.
15. June 2020–present, Commander, 332nd Air Expeditionary Wing, Southwest Asia
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. July 2013–June 2015, Director of Operations, Alaskan Command, Joint Base Elmendorf Richardson, Alaska, as a colonel
2. July 2019–present, Vice Director of Operations, Headquarters North American Air Defense Command, Colorado, as a colonel
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 2,500
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, F-15E, F-15SG and F-22A
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Distinguished Flying Cross with “V” device
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Sovereignty-in-being: A Dangerous New Model for Territorial Expansion in the 21st Century, InterAgency Journal, Vol. 9, No. 2, 2018
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 1, 1994
First Lieutenant June 1, 1996
Captain June 1, 1998
Major Aug. 1, 2004
Lieutenant Colonel June 1, 2008
Colonel Oct. 11, 2013
Brigadier General Aug. 3, 2020
(Current as of August 2020)