Brig. Gen. Michael R. Drowley is the Commander of the 57th Wing, Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada. He is responsible for 36 squadrons at 12 installations constituting the Air Force's most diverse flying wing. The wing flies and maintains more than 182 aircraft of the following types: A-10, F-15C/D, F-15E, F-16C/CG/CJ, F-22A, F-35A and HH-60G. The wing also utilizes E-3, RC-135, E-8, B-1, B-2, B-52, C-130, KC-135, C-17, AC-130U, MC-130, CV-22, and U-28 aircraft as well as the MQ-9 remotely piloted aircraft at 12 stateside bases to support the U.S. Air Force Weapons School syllabus. He is responsible for three groups: 57th Operations Group, 57th Maintenance Group and the U.S. Air Force Weapons School. In addition, he oversees U.S. Air Force Advanced Maintenance and Munitions Operations School; U.S. Air Force Air Demonstration Squadron, known as the “Thunderbirds”; the Red Flag and Green Flag exercises; and the Air Force aggressors.
Brig. Gen. Drowley earned a Bachelor of Science in Engineering and his commission from the United States Air Force Academy in 1996. He is a command pilot with more than 2,400 fighter hours in the A-10, including more than 200 combat hours. He has commanded at the flight, squadron, group and wing levels. Additionally, he has served on the staffs of the Superintendent, United States Air Force Academy, the Office of the Secretary of Defense, and as Chief of Staff, Headquarters United States Air Forces Central Command, Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar. Prior to his current assignment, he served as Commander, 355th Wing, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Arizona.
1996 Bachelor of Science, Engineering, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2001 Distinguished Graduate, U.S. Air Force Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2002 Academic, Flying, Distinguished Graduate Award, U.S. Air Force Weapons Instructor Course, Nellis AFB, Nev.
2008 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2008 Master of Advanced Studies, Psychology-Counseling-Leadership, University of Colorado, Colorado Springs
2011 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2013 Master of Advanced Studies, Joint Campaign Planning and Strategy, Joint Advanced Warfighting School, National Defense University, Naval Station Norfolk, Va.
1. September 1996–July 1997, Student, Joint Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, Naval Air Station Whiting Field, Fla.
2. July 1997–February 1998, Student, Joint Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, Vance Air Force Base, Okla.
3. December 1998–March 2000, Assistant Chief of Plans, Scheduling-Battalion Air Liaison Officer, 25th Fighter Squadron, Osan Air Base, South Korea
4. April 2000–June 2002, Assistant Chief of Weapons and Tactics, Chief of Training, 354th Fighter Squadron, Davis- Monthan AFB, Ariz.
5. June 2002–July 2004, Chief, Squadron Weapons and Tactics, Flight Commander, 75th Fighter Squadron, Pope AFB, N.C.
6. July 2004–July 2005, Weapons School Instructor, Flight Commander, 66th Weapons Squadron, Nellis AFB, Nev.
7. July 2006–May 2007, Chief of Fighter Standardization and Evaluation, 57th Wing, Nellis AFB, Nev.
8. May 2007–May 2008, Student, University of Colorado, Colorado Springs
9. May 2008–June 2009, Commander, Cadet Squadron 15, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
10. June 2009–July 2010, Director, Commander’s Action Group, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
11. September 2010–February 2011, Assistant Director of Operations, 66th Weapons Squadron, Nellis AFB, Nev.
12. February 2011–July 2012, Commander, 66th Weapons Squadron, Nellis AFB, Nev.
13. July 2012–June 2014, Student, Joint Advanced Warfighting School-National Defense University, Naval Station Norfolk, Va.
14. June 2013–May 2015, Senior Plans Advisor to the Secretary of Defense, Office of the Secretary of Defense, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
15. May 2015–June 2017, Commandant, United States Air Force Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
16. July 2017–June 2018, Chief of Staff, United States Air Forces Central Command, Al Udeid AB, Qatar
17. June 2018–June 2020, Commander, 355th Wing, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
18. August 2020-present, Commander, 57th Wing, Nellis AFB, Nev.
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 2,500
Aircraft flown: T-34, T-38, HH-60, C-130J, C-17, KC-135, B-1, B-2, B-52, F-15D, F-15E, F-16
Primary aircraft: A-10C
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Distinguished Flying Cross with Valor oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Army Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
USAFWS Robbie Risner Award 2003
Order of Daedalians USAF Exceptional Pilot Award 2003
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 29, 1996
First Lieutenant May 29, 1998
Captain May 29, 2000
Major May 1, 2006
Lieutenant Colonel Mar 1, 2010
Colonel Oct 1, 2014
Brigadier General Nov. 2, 2020
(Current as of November 2020)