Brig. Gen. Ryan R. Samuelson serves as the Deputy Director of Strategic Plans, Requirements and Programs, headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott Air Force Base, Illinois. Brig. Gen. Samuelson assists the director with responsibilities for force structure planning, programming, doctrine and requirements for the nation's airlift and air refueling force.
Brig. Gen. Samuelson entered the Air Force in 1993 as a graduate from Purdue University and was initially assigned to Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio, as an Acquisition Officer in the B-2 System Program Office. He was then selected for specialized undergraduate pilot training and earned his pilot wings in 1999 from Laughlin AFB, Texas. Since then he has served as an Instructor Pilot, Tanker/Airlift Control Element Commander, Presidential Advance Agent and commanded at the squadron, group and wing levels. Brig. Gen, Samuelson has participated in operations Southern Watch, Joint Forge, Enduring Freedom, Iraqi Freedom, Resolute Support, Freedom’s Sentinel, Restore Hope, and Inherent Resolve. Prior to assuming his current position, Brig. Gen. Samuelson served as the Director of U.S. Central Command’s Deployment and Distribution Operations Center at Camp Arifjan, Kuwait.
1993 Bachelor of Science, Engineering, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Ind.
2001 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2003 Master of Arts, Business Administration, Webster University, Mo.
2007 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2007 Army Command & General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
2012 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2015 Master of Strategic Studies, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2016 Alan L. Freed Associates Enterprise Perspective Seminar, Capitol Hill Club, Washington, D.C.
2018 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Kenan-Flagler Business School, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
1. July 1994–June 1998, Acquisition Program Manager, Development, Training and Production Integrated Product Teams, B-2 System Program Office, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
2. June 1998–July 1999, Student, Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, Laughlin AFB, Texas
3. July 1999–September 2003, KC-135R Pilot, Aircraft Commander and Instructor Pilot, Squadron & Wing Executive Officer, 344th Air Refueling Squadron and 22nd Air Refueling Wing, McConnell AFB, Kan.
4. September 2003–June 2005, Tactical Airlift Control Element Flight Commander, Presidential Advance Agent and Operations Officer, 815th Air Mobility Squadron, Travis AFB, Calif.
5. June 2005–January 2006, Executive Officer to the Commander, 15th Expeditionary Mobility Task Force, Travis AFB, Calif.
6. January 2006–July 2006, Operations Officer, 571st Global Mobility Squadron, Travis AFB, Calif.
7. July 2006–July 2007, Student, Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
8. July 2007–April 2008, Chief, Combined Force Plans Branch, Combined Forces Command/U.S. Forces Korea, Yongsan Army Installation, South Korea
9. April 2008–May 2009, Executive Officer to the Deputy Chief of Staff, United Nations Command/U.S. Forces, Korea, Yongsan Army Installation, South Korea
10. May 2009–June 2011, Operations Officer, 64th Air Refueling Squadron (Active Associate), Pease Air National Guard Base, N.H.
11. June 2011–March 2013, Commander, 64th Air Refueling Squadron (Active Associate), Pease ANGB, N.H.
12. March 2013–July 2014, Chief, Senior Leader Management Division, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
13. July 2014–July 2015, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
14. July 2015–June 2016, Commander, 379th Expeditionary Operations Group, Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar
15. July 2016–May 2018, Commander, 92nd Air Refueling Wing, Fairchild AFB, Wash.
16. June 2018–July 2019, Executive Officer to the Commander, U.S. Transportation Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
17. August 2019–August 2020, Director, U.S. Central Command Deployment and Distribution Operations Center and Deputy Director, USCENTCOM Logistics and Engineering Directorate, Camp Arifjan, Kuwait
18. August 2020–present, Deputy Director, Strategic Plans, Requirements and Programs. Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. July 2007–May 2009, Chief, Combined Force Plans Branch, Combined Forces Command/U.S. Forces Korea, and Executive Officer to the Deputy Chief of Staff, United Nations Command/U.S. Forces, Korea, Yongsan Army Installation, South Korea as a major
2. June 2018–July 2019, Executive Officer to the Commander, U.S. Transportation Command, Scott AFB, Ill., as a colonel
3. August 2019–August 2020, Director, U.S. Central Command Deployment and Distribution Operations Center and Deputy Director, USCENTCOM Logistics and Engineering Directorate, Camp Arifjan, Kuwait as a brigadier general (frocked)
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 1950 with over 400 combat hours
Aircraft flown: T-37B, T-1, KC-135R/RT, E-8, B-1B, B-52H, C-130H and C-21
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Meritorious Unit Award with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with “V” device and five oak leaf clusters
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award with oak leaf cluster
Combat Readiness Medal with two oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Iraq Campaign Medal with two bronze stars
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal with two bronze stars
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Korea Defense Service Medal
Air Force Nuclear Deterrence Operations Medal with oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Dec. 20, 1993
First Lieutenant April 7, 1996
Captain April 7, 1998
Major June 1, 2004
Lieutenant Colonel May 1, 2009
Colonel July 1, 2015
Brigadier General July 3, 2020
(Current as of August 2020)