Brig. Gen. Joshua M. Olson is the Director, Global Reach Programs, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition, Technology and Logistics, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Virginia. As the Capability Director, he is responsible to the Air Force Acquisition Executive for the $5.6 billion airlift, air refueling, training and special operations program portfolio, which includes the KC-46, Presidential Airlift Replacement, Combat Rescue Helicopter, T-7, C-5, C-17, KC-10, KC-135, C-130, CV-22, HH-60, LAIRCM, CNS/ATM, OSA/VIPSAM, T-1, T-38 and T-6.
Brig. Gen. Olson entered the Air Force through the Reserve Officer Training Corps program as an honors graduate from Michigan Technological University. The general has commanded at every level. His first command was as the Commander of the 37th Airlift Squadron, Ramstein Air Base, Germany. He later served in Southwest Asia as the Vice Commander of the 386th Air Expeditionary Wing, then Commander of the 22nd Air Refueling Wing, McConnell Air Force Base, Kansas. Prior to assuming his current position, the general was the Commander of the 86th Airlift Wing and European Command’s Task Force Commander for Operation Allies Refuge, Ramstein AB.
1997 Bachelor of Science, Chemical Engineering, Michigan Technological University, Houghton
2001 Undergraduate Pilot Training, Laughlin Air Force Base, Texas
2003 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2005 Master of Arts, Education and Administration, Chapman University, Fairfield, Calif.
2006 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2010 Air Force Fellow, Strategic Policy Intern, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
2010 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2013 Executive Business Training, Darden Graduate School of Business, University of Virginia
2013 Secretary of Defense Corporate Fellowship, 3M Company, St. Paul, Minn.
2014 Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2018 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, University of North Carolina, Raleigh
2019 Leadership Decision Making, Harvard University, Boston, Mass.
2021 NATO General Officer Flag Officer Ambassador Course, NATO Defense College, Rome, Italy
1. June 1997–September 2000, Acquisition Manager, MC-130H Combat Talon II, Wright- Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
2. September 2000–September 2001, Student/Class Leader, Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, Laughlin AFB, Texas
3. September 2001–September 2005, Wing Executive Officer, KC-10 Instructor Pilot, Flight Commander, Training Officer, 60th Air Mobility Wing and 6th Air Refueling Squadron, Travis AFB, Calif.
4. September 2005–April 2006, Student, C-130 Formal Training Unit, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
5. April 2006–April 2008, Assistant Operations Officer and C-130E/H Evaluator Pilot, 41st and 2nd Airlift Squadrons, Pope AFB, N.C.
6. April 2008–July 2009, Aide-de-Camp to the Commander, Eighteenth Air Force, Scott AFB, Ill.
7. July 2009–July 2010, Strategic Policy Intern, Air Force Fellows Program, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
8. July 2010–August 2011, Chief, Strategic Airlift Requirements, Office of Air Force Reserve, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
9. September 2011–June 2013, Commander, 37th Airlift Squadron, Ramstein AB, Germany
10. June 2013– August 2014, Secretary of Defense Corporate Fellow, 3M Company, St. Paul, Minn.
11. August 2014–June 2016, Deputy Director, Program Management Activities, J7 Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
12. June 2016– July 2017, Vice Commander, 386th Air Expeditionary Wing, Southwest Asia
13. July 2017–July 2019, Commander, 22nd Air Refueling Wing, McConnell AFB, Kan.
14. July 2019–August 2020, Executive Officer to the Commander, U.S. Transportation Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
15. August 2020–July 2022, Commander, 86th Airlift Wing, Ramstein AB, Germany
16. July 2022–present, Director, Global Reach Programs, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition, Technology and Logistics, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. August 2014–June 2016, Deputy Director, Program Management Activities, J7 Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va., as a colonel
2. July 2019–August 2020, Executive Officer to the Commander, U.S. Transportation Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill., as a colonel
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 3,000
Aircraft Flown: KC-46A, KC-135, C-130J, KC-10A, C-130E/H, T-1A, and T-37B
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with silver oak leaf cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal
2019 General Mark A. Welsh III One Air Force award, Air Mobility Command
2022 Commander in Chief’s Installation Excellence award
2022 U.S. Air Force Jerome F. O’Malley award (wing commander and spouse)
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 13, 1997
First Lieutenant June 13, 1999
Captain June 13, 2001
Major Feb. 1, 2007
Lieutenant Colonel Dec.1, 2010
Colonel Aug. 1, 2015
Brigadier General July 6, 2021
(Current as of August 2022)