Maj. Gen. Mark B. Pye is the Director of Global Power Programs, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition, Technology and Logistics, the Pentagon, Arlington, Virginia. He is responsible for the direction, planning and programming of more than 150 Air Force, joint service, and international programs to include the F-15, F-16, F-22, F-35, Next Generation Air Dominance, Minuteman III, B-1, B-2, B-52, E-4B NAOC, NC3, Joint Air-to-Surface Standoff Missile, Advanced Medium-Range Air-to-Air Missile, B61, Long Range Standoff, and Ground Based Strategic Deterrent programs with a $22 billion annual budget.
Maj. Gen. Pye entered the Air Force in 1994 after commissioning through the U.S. Air Force Academy. His operational experience includes ﬂying combat support missions in the KC-10 during operations Desert Strike, Southern Watch and Allied Force. Following entry into the B-2 program, Maj. Gen. Pye ﬂew combat missions in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom in 2003, became a weapons oﬃcer, and later led the opening strike mission for Operation Odyssey Dawn in 2011. He has more than 3600 ﬂying hours, including operational test pilot time in the B-52, having served as Vice Commander, 53rd Wing, Eglin Air Force Base, Florida.
Maj. Gen. Pye has commanded at the squadron and wing level, served on Headquarters 8th Air Force staff, led joint strategy and operational design teams at U.S. Strategic Command, served as Deputy Director of Strategic Plans, Programs and Requirements, Headquarters Air Force Global Strike Command, and served as a National Defense Fellow at Stanford University.
Prior to his current assignment, Maj. Gen. Pye was the Director, Concepts and Strategy, A5/7S, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Virginia.
1994 Bachelor of Science, Political Science, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2000 Squadron Oﬃcer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2004 Master of Business Administration, Colorado State University, Fort Collins
2005 U.S. Air Force Weapons Instructor Course, 715th Weapons Squadron, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
2008 U.S. Air Force Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2009 U.S. Air Force School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2013 National Defense Fellow, Freeman Spogli Institute, Stanford University, Calif.
2017 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Kenan-Flagler Business School, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
2018 Doctor of Philosophy, Military Strategy, U.S. Air Force School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. December 1994–December 1995, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Vance Air Force Base, Okla.
2. March 1996–December 2000, KC-10 Instructor Pilot, Assistant Flight Commander and Flight Scheduler, 2nd Air Refueling Squadron, McGuire AFB, N.J.
3. January 2001–May 2002, T-38 Standardization/Evaluation and B-2 Training, 394th Combat Training Squadron, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
4. May 2002–December 2004, B-2 Instructor Pilot, Flight Commander, Chief of Scheduling, and Chief Plans/Mobility, 393rd Bomb Squadron, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
5. January 2005–June 2005, Student, U.S. Air Force Weapons Instructor Course, 715th Weapons Squadron, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
6. July 2005–June 2006, Mission Planning Cell Chief, 509th Operations Support Squadron, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
7. July 2006–June 2007, Director of Operations, 509th OSS, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
8. July 2007–June 2008, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
9. July 2008–June 2009, Student, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
10. July 2009–July 2010, Chief, Operational Plans and Requirements, 8th Air Force Headquarters, Barksdale AFB, La.
11. July 2010–June 2012, Commander, 13th Bomb Squadron, 509th Bomb Wing, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
12. July 2012–July 2013, National Defense Fellow, Freeman Spogli Institute, Stanford University, Calif.
13. July 2013–July 2014, Team Lead, Commander's Design Team, U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb.
14. July 2014–June 2015, Team Chief, Strategic Engagement Team, USSTRATCOM, Offutt AFB, Neb.
15. July 2015–June 2017, Vice Commander, 53rd Wing, Eglin AFB, Fla.
16. July 2017–June 2019, Commander, Air Force Inspection Agency, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
17. August 2019–July 2021, Deputy Director of Strategic Plans, Programs, and Requirements, Barksdale AFB, La.
18. July 2021–July 2022, Director of Concepts and Strategy, Deputy Chief of Staff Air Force Futures, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
19. July 2022–present, Director, Global Power Programs, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition, Technology and Logistics, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. July 2013–June 2015, Team Lead, Commander’s Design Team (J55) and Team Chief, Strategic Engagement Team (J53), U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt Air Force Base, Neb., as a lieutenant colonel and colonel
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 3,600 hours
Aircraft Flown: KC-10A, T-37, T-38A, B-1B, B-2A, B-52H, F-15D, F-16D, HH-60G, E-9 and QF-4
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with oak leaf cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
"Precision Carpet Bombing with the GBU-38," U.S. Air Force Weapons Review, Issue 1, Vol. LIV, Spring 2006
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 1, 1994
First Lieutenant June 1, 1996
Captain June 1, 1998
Major Aug. 1, 2004
Lieutenant Colonel July 1, 2009
Colonel Oct. 1, 2014
Brigadier General Aug. 20, 2020
Major General Oct. 1, 2022
(Current as of October 2022)