Brig. Gen. Frank R. Verdugo is the Comptroller, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. As the Commander’s Chief Financial Officer, he is responsible for more than 35% of the Air Force appropriated budget. This includes the financial planning and fiscal execution of the Air Force’s research, development, test, acquisition and sustainment programs. He serves as principal financial adviser to the Air Force Materiel Command commander, and as such, is responsible for command policies regarding Chief Financial Officer Act compliance. He is responsible for identifying funding requirements; building the command’s budgets; administering the Air Force Working Capital Fund; executing Air Force Materiel Command’s annual budget program of the $60 billion and providing military, civilian and contractor pay service to 75,000 personnel. He also oversees 3,000 professional financial managers providing vital services supporting the command’s units worldwide, including 10 major bases.
Brig. Gen. Verdugo was commissioned through the Air Force ROTC program at San Diego State University in 1995 and received distinguished graduate honors. He has base-level, Major Command, Headquarters Air Force, and Acquisition Comptroller experience. Brig. Gen. Verdugo has deployed to both Iraq and Afghanistan for operations Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom. He commanded the 49th Comptroller Squadron at Holloman AFB, New Mexico and the 90th Mission Support Group at Francis E. Warren AFB, Wyoming. He served as Comptroller, Headquarters United States Air Forces in Europe and United States Air Forces Africa at Ramstein Air Base, Germany. Prior to his current assignment, Brig. Gen. Verdugo was the Director, Budget Operations and Personnel, Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Budget, the Pentagon, Arlington, Virginia.
1995 Bachelor of Science, Business Administration, San Diego State University, Calif.
2000 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2006 Master of Business Administration, University of Phoenix, Ariz.
2007 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2009 Strategic Policy Intern, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
2013 Air War College, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2018 Air War College, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2018 Master of Strategic Studies, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2019 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
2021 Senior Leader Orientation Course, Smart Center, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
1. June 1995–July 1996, Assistant Regional Director of Admissions, AFROTC Detachment 075, San Diego State University, Calif.
2. July 1996–March 1999, Financial Analyst, Military Satellite Communications Joint Program Office, Space and Missile Systems Center, Los Angeles Air Force Base, Calif.
3. April 1999–April 2001, Chief, Financial Analysis Branch, 36th Comptroller Flight, Andersen AFB, Guam May 2001–May 2004, Financial Analysis Flight Commander, Financial Services Flight Commander, 31st Comptroller Squadron, 31st Fighter Wing, Aviano AB, Italy (November 2003–April 2004, Budget Analyst, Office of Resource Management, Combined Joint Task Force 7, Camp Victory, Iraq)
May 2004–April 2005, Chief, Budget Integration Section, Comptroller Directorate, Headquarters Air Education and Training Command, Randolph AFB, Texas
4. April 2005–November 2006, Executive Officer, Comptroller Directorate, Headquarters Air Education and Training Command, Randolph AFB, Texas
5. November 2006–June 2008, Commander, 49th Comptroller Squadron, 49th Fighter Wing, Holloman AFB, N.M. (September 2007–March 2008, Comptroller, Office of Resource Management, Combined Security Transition Command, Afghanistan, Camp Eggers, Kabul, Afghanistan)
6. August 2008–June 2009, Air Force Strategic Policy Intern, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
7. June 2009–June 2011, Chief, Budget Corporate Branch, Budget Programs and Integration, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Budget, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
8. June 2011–July 2012, Senior Military Assistant to the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Financial Management and Comptroller, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
9. August 2012–August 2014, Director, Financial Management and Comptroller, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
10. August 2014–June 2015, Chief, Financial Analysis Division, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
11. June 2015–June 2017, Commander, 90th Mission Support Group, F.E. Warren AFB, Wyo.
12. July 2017–May 2018, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
13. July 2018–July 2020, Director, Financial Management and Comptroller, United States Air Forces in Europe and Air Forces Africa, Ramstein Air Base, Germany.
14. August 2020–June 2021, Director, Budget Programs, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Budget, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
15. July 2021–June 2022, Director, Budget Operations and Personnel, Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Budget, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
16. June 2022–present, Comptroller, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with silver oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
DoD Financial Management Certification Level III
Certified Defense Financial Manager (2014)
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
American Society of Military Comptrollers
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 15, 1995
First Lieutenant May 31, 1997
Captain May 31, 1999
Major Oct. 1, 2005
Lieutenant Colonel March 1, 2010
Colonel August 1, 2015
Brigadier General March 2, 2022
(Current as of February 2023)