Marianne P. Malizia, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Director, Diversity and Inclusion, for the Department of the U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Virginia. In this role, Ms. Malizia advises the Secretary of the Air Force on the Department of the Air Force’s diversity, equity, inclusion and accessibility programs, policies and initiatives impacting approximately 697,000 active duty, Guard, Reserve and civilian Airmen and Guardians worldwide. She is responsible for advancing the Department of the Air Force’s diversity and inclusion mission to attract, recruit, develop and retain a high quality, diverse total force, ensuring a culture of inclusion.
Prior to joining the Air Force, she established the first Diversity and Inclusion program for a global logistics company with over 100,000 employees. There she stood up and led the Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging Steering Committee that drove strategic implementation of programs across the company and formed critical partnerships, fostering a strong culture of inclusion within the organization.
Previously, Ms. Malizia served in many key roles during her 21 year tenure at Booz Allen Hamilton. There she co-led the establishment of the firm’s LGBTQ Employee Resource Group that she later co-chaired. She also led many initiatives to support the professional learning and career development opportunities for Booz Allen Hamilton employees, to include training and education programs for Diversity and Inclusion. During her time at Booz Allen, Ms. Malizia spoke at various industry conferences and seminars on subjects in the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion realm.
Ms. Malizia is a graduate of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point. She served nine years as an active-duty Army officer, including assignments in Germany, at both the Satellite Communications Command and the Communications Electronic Command, and supported public affairs as the strategic engagements lead. Additionally, she provided operational support for operations Desert Storm and Desert Shield.
1979 Jungle Warfare School, Fort Sherman, Panama
1981 Bachelor of Science, General Engineering, United States Military Academy, West Point, N.Y.
1981 Air Defense Artillery Officer Basic Course, Fort Bliss, El Paso, Texas
1985 Adjutant General Officer Advanced Course, Fort Benjamin Harrison, Indianapolis, Ind.
1985 Planning, Programming, and Budgeting Systems Course, Fort Benjamin Harrison, Indianapolis, Ind.
1. 1981–1985, Security Officer and Executive Officer, 66th U.S. Army Artillery Detachment, Soest, Germany
2. 1985–1987, Administrative Services Officer, Satellite Communications Agency, Fort Monmouth, N.J.
3. 1987–1990, Public Affairs Officer, Satellite Communications Agency, Fort Monmouth, N.J.
4. 1991–1997, Various Industry Positions in Human Resource Management and Education, New York, N.Y.
5. 1997–2018, Human Resources and Learning and Development Professional, Booz Allen Hamilton, New York, N.Y.
6. 2018–2021, Senior Director, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and Corporate Learning and Development, XPO Logistics, Greenwich, Conn.
7. 2021–present, Director, Diversity and Inclusion, Department of the Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Army Achievement Medal
Meritorious Service Medal
Certified Diversity Professional (CDP)
Cultural Intelligence (CQ) Certified Facilitator
Intercultural Development Inventory (IDI) Qualified Administrator
Human Capital Strategist (HCS)
Kirkpatrick Four Level Evaluation – Bronze
Myers Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI)
(Current as of December 2021)