Brig. Gen. George “Dutch” T.M. Dietrich III is the Commander, 82nd Training Wing and Installation Commander, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas. He is responsible for the training of more than 65,000 officers and enlisted Air Force, Army, Navy, Marine Corps and international students annually at Sheppard AFB and more than 63 geographically separated units worldwide. The 82nd Training Wing produces nearly half of all Air Force technical training graduates every year, delivering instruction in aircraft and munitions maintenance, logistics, civil engineering, nuclear operations, and telecommunications career fields. The wing consists of three training groups, a mission support group, a medical group and provides base support services to the 80th Flying Training Wing's Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training program and a Noncommissioned Officer Academy.
Brig. Gen. Dietrich was commissioned from Officer Training School in 1995 and entered active duty as a transportation officer. He commanded the 60th Mission Support Group at Travis AFB, California and the 673rd Air Base Wing at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska. He has served Air Staff tours as a resource programmer in the Logistics Directorate and in the Air Force Engine Room and has had multiple special operations assignments in Air Force Special Operations Command and as the Director of Logistics for Joint Special Operations Command. Prior to his current assignment, Brig. Gen. Dietrich was the Director of Logistics, Engineering and Force Protection, Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe and U.S. Air Forces Africa, Ramstein Air Base, Germany.
1992 Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, New Mexico State University, Las Cruces, N.M.
1995 Officer Training School, Distinguished Graduate, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1999 Master of Arts in Business Administration and Management, Troy State University, Troy, Ala.
2001 Squadron Officers School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2007 Advanced Study of Air Mobility, Fort Dix, N.J.
2007 Master of Science in Transportation and Air Mobility, Air Force Institute of Technology, Ft Dix, N.J.
2011 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2014 Eisenhower School of National Security and Resource Strategy, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2014 Master of Science in National Resource Strategy, Ft Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2014 Certificate in Supply Chain Management Concentration, Ft Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2015 LOGTECH, Advanced Program, Logistics and Technology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
1. July 1995–April 1998, Aerial Port Duty Officer, Air Passenger Flight Commander, and Operations Group Executive Officer, Travis Air Force Base, Calif.
2. May 1998–May 1999, Chief, Air Terminal Operations, Osan Air Base, South Korea
3. June 1999–July 2002, OIC, Aircraft Services, Passenger Services, and Chief, Plans and Programs, Rhein-Main AB, Germany
4. August 2002–July 2004, Flight Commander, Management and Systems Flight, Materiel Management Flight, and Weapon Systems Flight, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
5. August 2004–April 2006, Chief, Transportation Division and Commander’s Action Group Special Actions Officer, Headquarters Air Force Special Operations Command, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
6. May 2006–June 2007, Student, Advanced Study of Air Mobility, Air Force Expeditionary Center, Fort Dix, N.J.
7. July 2007–June 2008, Commander, Detachment 1, 730th Air Mobility Squadron, Diego Garcia, British Indian Ocean Territory
8. July 2008–July 2010, Commander, 22nd Logistics Readiness Squadron, McConnell AFB, Kan.
9. August 2009–February 2010, Commander, 447th Expeditionary Logistics Readiness Squadron, Baghdad, Iraq
10. August 2010–August 2011, Chief, Spares and Services Requirements Review Board programs, AF/A4/7, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
11. September 2011–July 2013, Chief, Command and Control Branch and Chief, Corporate Branch, AF/A8, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
12. August 2013–July 2014, Student, Eisenhower School for National Security and Resource Strategy, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
13. August 2014–June 2016, Commander, 60th Mission Support Group, Travis AFB, Calif.
14. July 2016–July 2018, Commander, 673rd Air Base Wing, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska
15. August 2018–June 2020, Director of Logistics, J4, Joint Special Operations Command, Fort Bragg, N.C.
16. June 2020–July 2021, Associate Director, Directorate of Resource Integration, Deputy Chief of Staff for Logistics, Engineering, and Force Protection, Headquarters Air Force, Washington, D.C.
17. August 2021–June 2023, Director of Logistics, Engineering and Force Protection, Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe and U.S. Air Forces Africa, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
18. June 2023–present, Commander, 82nd Training Wing, Sheppard AFB, Texas
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with silver oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Logistics Readiness Staff Company Grade Officer of the Year, 2004
(Current as of June 2023)