Kristyn E. Jones is the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Financial Management and Comptroller. As the Department of the Air Force’s Comptroller and Chief Financial Officer, she serves as the principal adviser to the Secretary, Chief of Staff of the Air Force and Chief of Space Operations on all financial matters. She is responsible for providing financial management and analytical services necessary for the effective and efficient use of Air Force resources, to include nearly 700,000 military and civilian personnel and a budget of more than $194 billion. This includes directing the development of the Air Force program and budget, overseeing the Air Force Cost Analysis Agency's acquisition and operational cost analysis, providing analytical services necessary for the effective and efficient use of Air Force resources and conducting Air Force accounting and finance operations.
Prior to her current position, Jones was a Managing Director in KPMG’s Federal Advisory practice, where she supported the Department of Defense, Veterans Affairs, and other federal clients. Previously, Jones served in a variety of government positions. She entered the Senior Executive Service in June 2008 serving as Director, then Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Army for Financial Information Management until 2014. From 2007 to 2008, Jones was assigned as the Special Assistant to the Assistant Secretary of the Army, Financial Management and Comptroller for Cost Management Transformation. Prior to this role, Jones was the Director of Enterprise Transition Planning at the Department of Defense Business Transformation Agency and served as a Financial Manager at the Office of Naval Research. Earlier in her career, Jones held management positions at two Fortune 500 companies, Capital One and Advanced Micro Devices. Jones also served as a Military Intelligence Officer in the U.S. Army, where she held a variety of leadership positions.
1993 Bachelor of Science, International Political Science, U.S. Military Academy, West Point, N.Y.
2000 Master of Business Administration, George Mason University, Fairfax, Va.
1. May 1993–March 1998, U.S. Army, Military Intelligence Officer, Darmstadt Garrison, Germany, and Fort Belvoir, Va.
2. March 1998–August 1999, Customer Relations Manager, Capital One Services, Fredericksburg, Va.
3. January 2000–September 2001, Senior Financial Analyst, Advanced Micro Devices, Austin, Texas
4. November 2001–November 2004, Financial Manager, Office of Naval Research, Department of the Navy, Arlington, Va.
5. November 2004–June 2007, Director of Enterprise Transition Planning, Business Transformation Agency, Department of Defense, Arlington, Va.
6. June 2007–June 2008, Special Assistant to the Assistant Secretary of the Army, Cost Management (Financial Management and Comptroller), Department of the Army, the Pentagon, Va.
7. June 2008–March 2013, Director, Financial Information Management (Financial Management and Comptroller) Department of the Army, the Pentagon, Va.
8. March 2013–August 2014, Deputy Assistant Secretary, Financial Information Management (Financial Management and Comptroller), Department of the Army, the Pentagon, Va.
9. August 2014–October 2017, Director, KPMG, LLP, McLean, Va.
10. October 2017–May 2022, Managing Director, KPMG, LLP, McLean, Va.
11. May 2022–present, Assistant Secretary of the Air Force (Financial Management and Comptroller), Department of the Air Force, the Pentagon, Va.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
1989 National Defense Service Medal
1994 Army Achievement Medal
1995 Army Commendation Medal
1998 Army Meritorious Service Medal
2008 Achievement Medal for Civilian Service
2014 Army Meritorious Civilian Award
Certified Defense Financial Manager
Certified Project Management Professional
Certified in Technology Business Management
(Current as of May 2022)