Brig. Gen. Joseph L. Campo is the Commander, 48th Fighter Wing, Royal Air Force Lakenheath, United Kingdom, consisting of more than 4,000 active-duty military members and operating the F-15E and F-35 aircraft. The 48th Fighter Wing provides worldwide responsive combat airpower and support for United States European Command and the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.
Brig. Gen. Campo was commissioned in 1997 upon completion of the Reserve Officer Training Corps program at the University of Michigan. He is a Command Pilot with more than 3,000 hours of flying time in the F-35, F-16, MQ-9 and MQ-1.
The general also served in the Operations Directorate, Headquarters United States Air Force, and Plans Division in the 9th Air and Space Expeditionary Task Force-Afghanistan and has held command positions at the squadron, group and wing levels. Prior to his current position, Brig. Gen. Campo served as the Director, Multi-Domain Operational Integration at Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe, Mons, Belgium.
1997 Bachelor of Science in Engineering, Electrical Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
2003 16th Weapons Squadron, U.S. Air Force Weapons School, Nellis Air Force Base, Nev.
2010 Master of National Security and Strategic Studies, Naval Command and Staff College, Naval War College, Newport, R.I
2011 Master of Airpower Art and Science, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell, AFB Ala.
2012 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2015 Joint and Combined Warfighting School, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2015 Doctor of Philosophy in Military Strategy, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. October 1997–November 1998, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Laughlin Air Force Base, Texas
2. November 1998–April 1999, Student, Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals, Sheppard AFB, Texas
3. April 1999–December 1999, Student, F-16 Initial Qualification Training, Luke AFB, Ariz.
4. January 2000–January 2003, F-16 Pilot, Chief of Scheduling, Spangdahlem Air Base, Germany
5. January 2003–June 2003, F-16 Student, U.S. Air Force Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
6. June 2003–July 2004, F-16 Pilot, Wing Weapons Officer, Kunsan AB, South Korea
7. July 2004–October 2005, F-16 Instructor, U.S. Air Force Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
8. October 2005–February 2008, Wing Weapons Officer, Creech AFB, Nev.
9. February 2008–June 2009, Director of Operations, 26th Weapons Squadron, U.S. Air Force Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
10. June 2009–June 2010, Student, Naval Command and Staff College, Newport, R.I.
11. June 2010–June 2011, Student, School of Advanced Air and Space Power Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
12. July 2011–July 2012, Plans Division Chief, 9th Air and Space Expeditionary Task Force-Afghanistan, Air Plans Lead, International Security Assistance Force, Kabul, Afghanistan
13. September 2012–June 2014, Commander, 26th Weapons Squadron, USAF Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
14. July 2014–July 2015, Air University Lorenz Fellow, Senior Development Education Ph.D. program, Las Vegas, Nev.
15. July 2015–June 2016, Planner, Joint and National Security Matters, Headquarters United States Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
16. June 2016–June 2018, Commander, 432nd Operations Group, Creech AFB, Nev.
17. June 2018–May 2020, Commander, 49th Wing, Holloman AFB, N.M.
18. June 2020-September 2021, Executive Officer for Supreme Allied Commander Europe and Commander, United States European Command, Mons, Belgium
19. September 2021–June 2022, Director, Multi-Domain Operational Integration, Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe, Mons, Belgium
20. June 2022–present, Commander, 48th Fighter Wing, Royal Air Force Lakenheath, United Kingdom
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. July 2011–July 2012, Plans Division Chief, 9th Air and Space Expeditionary Task Force - Afghanistan, Kabul, Afghanistan, as a lieutenant colonel
2. June 2020–September 2021, Executive Officer for Supreme Allied Commander Europe and Commander, United States European Command, Mons, Belgium, as a colonel
3. September 2021–June 2022, Director of Multi-Domain Operational Integration, Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe, Mons, Belgium, as a brigadier general
Rating: command pilot
Flight Hours: more than 3,000
Combat Hours: 370
Aircraft Flown: T-37, T-38, MQ-1, MQ-9, F-16 and F-35
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with silver oak leaf cluster
Air and Space Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Army Commendation Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 28, 1997
First Lieutenant May 28, 1999
Captain May 28, 2001
Major Oct. 1, 2006
Lieutenant Colonel Dec. 1, 2010
Colonel May 1, 2016
Brigadier General June 2, 2022
(Current as of July 2022)