Brig. Gen. Luke Ahmann is the Deputy Director, Capability Development, Air Force Futures, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Virginia. In this position, Brig. Gen. Ahmann assists the Director in establishing capability development policy and providing guidance and direction to 220 military, civilian and contractor personnel who represent the warfighter in the Air Force Corporate Process. The Directorate is the service's center of expertise on Capability Development and Joint Integration comprised of 23 teams covering the entire range of Air Force programs, including next-generation weapons and sensors, autonomous platforms, command and control, space and cyber systems, base defense and mobility. The Directorate also oversees the Air Force's Joint Capabilities Integration and Development System processes and advocates for service positions at the Joint Requirements Oversight Council.
Brig. Gen. Ahmann received his commission from the United States Air Force Academy in 1993. Prior to his current position, he served as Acting Director of Air National Guard Plans, Programs and Requirements for the National Guard Bureau, Joint Base Andrews, Maryland. Brig. Gen Ahmann previously served as the Deputy Director, Strategy, Policy and Plans at both United States Northern Command and Central Command. He has also served in multiple squadron, group, wing, and staff capacities and commanded an F-16 Fighter Squadron and Maintenance Group. Brig. Gen. Ahmann is a command pilot with more than 2,500 flight hours, including 325 combat hours, and extensive aerospace control alert experience in Operation Noble Eagle. He served in 5 combat deployments supporting operations Iraqi and Enduring Freedom, Freedom’s Sentinel, and Inherent Resolve, and commanded a theater security package to South Korea.
1993 Bachelor of Science, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1994 Lieutenants Professional Development Program, Hanscom Air Force Base, Mass.
1997 Master of Business Administration, Management, Bentley University, Mass.
1998 United States Air Force Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2005 United States Air Force Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2012 National Security Fellowship, Harvard Kennedy School of Government, Cambridge, Mass.
2013 LEAN/Six Sigma Green Belt Certification, Thayer Engineering School, Dartmouth College, N.H.
2014 University of Tennessee Air Force Smart Operations for the 21st Century, Executive Leadership Course, 158th Fighter Wing, Vt.
2015 Air National Guard Commander’s Development Course, Andrews AFB, Md.
2015 Senior Leader Mission Generation Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2016 Distinguished Certificate-General Management, Darden School of Business, University of Virginia
2019 United States Air Force Leading Strategically Program, Center for Creative Leadership, Colo.
2020 Air Force Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Kenan-Flagler Business School, University of North Carolina
2021 Air Force Senior Leader Orientation Course, Flatter Inc., Arlington, Va.
2021 National Security Management Course, The Maxwell School of Citizenship & Public Policy, Syracuse University, N.Y.
2022 General & Flag Officer National Security Executive Seminar, Harvard JFK School of Government, Cambridge, Mass.
2022 Artificial Intelligence for National Security Leaders, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Mass.
1. August 1993–January 1997, Granite Sentry Deputy Program Manager, Hanscom Air Force Base, Mass.
2. January 1997–March 1998, Electromagnetic Compatibility Project Manager, Joint Spectrum Center, Annapolis, Md.
3. March 1998–September 1999, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Laughlin AFB, Texas
4. September 1999–December 1999, Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals, Randolph AFB, Texas
5. January 2000–May 2000, F-16 Student, 162nd Fighter Wing, Arizona Air National Guard, Tucson, Ariz.
6. June 2000–April 2001, F-16 Pilot, 134th Fighter Squadron, South Burlington, Vt.
7. April 2001–July 2002, Assistant Chief of Standardization/Evaluation, 134th Fighter Squadron, South Burlington, Vt.
8. August 2002–September 2003, Assistant Chief of Weapons and Tactics, 134th Fighter Squadron, South Burlington, Vt.
9. October 2003–October 2005, Detachment Vice Commander, 158th Aerospace Control Alert Detachment, Shaw AFB, S.C.
10. November 2005–June 2007, Assistant Director of Operations and Fighter Enhancement Program Manager, 134th Fighter Squadron, South Burlington, Vt.
11. June 2007–February 2009, Director of Operations, 134th Fighter Squadron, South Burlington, Vt.
12. February 2009–April 2011, Commander, 134th Fighter Squadron, South Burlington, Vt.
13. April 2011–July 2011, Assistant to the Commander, 158th Operations Group, South Burlington, Vt.
14. July 2011–June 2012, National Security Fellow, Harvard Kennedy School, Cambridge, Mass.
15. July 2012–March 2014, Chief of Wing Plans and Inspector General, 158th Fighter Wing, South Burlington, Vt. (February 2014–October 2014, Strategic Analyst, National Guard Bureau (NGB/A8X), Andrews AFB, Md.)
16. March 2014–March 2015, Director of Plans and Operations, Joint Force Headquarters, Colchester, Vt.
17. April 2015–June 2016, Commander, 158th Maintenance Group, South Burlington, Vt.
18. June 2016–July 2017, Director of Operations, Joint Force Headquarters, Colchester, Vt. (July 2016–January 2017, Air Reserve Component Advisor (Forward) to AFCENT, Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar)
19. August 2017–July 2018, Air National Guard Advisor to the Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations, Headquarters, United States Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
20. July 2018–April 2019, Chief, Design Blueprint Division, Air Force Warfighting Integration Capability and Chief, Air National Guard AFWIC Division, Plans, Programs & Requirements, National Guard Bureau (NGB/A5/8), the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
21. April 2019–June 2021, Deputy Director, Strategy, Policy, & Plans (DJ5), North American Aerospace Defense Command and United States Northern Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
22. June 2021–December 2022, Deputy Director, Strategy, Plans & Policy (DJ5), United States Central Command, MacDill AFB, Fla. (November 2022–January 2023, Acting Director, Air National Guard Plans, Programs and Requirements, National Guard Bureau, Joint Base Andrews, Md.)
23. January 2023–present, Deputy Director, Capability Development, Air Force Futures, Headquarters Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. April 2019–June 2021, Deputy Director, Strategy, Policy, and Plans (DJ5), North American Aerospace Defense Command and United States Northern Command, Peterson Air Force Base, Colo., as a brigadier general
2. June 2021–December 2022, Deputy Director, Strategy, Plans and Policy (DJ5), United States Central Command, MacDill AFB, Fla., as a brigadier general
Rating: command pilot
Flight Hours: more than 2,500 hours including 325 combat hours
Aircraft Flown: T-37, T-38 and F-16
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with two oak Leaf Clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
1994 Computer Resources Acquisition Course, Kelly Air Force Base, Texas
1994 Acquisition Fundamentals Course, Lowry AFB, Colo.
1997 Program Management, Acquisition Professional Development Program (APDP), Level I
1997 Systems Planning, Research, Development, and Engineering APDP, Level I
DATES OF PROMOTIONS
Second Lieutenant, June 2, 1993
First Lieutenant, June 2, 1995
Captain, June 2, 1997
Major, Nov. 13, 2001
Lieutenant Colonel, Nov. 30, 2005
Colonel, April 3, 2014
Brigadier General, April 11, 2019
(Current as of January 2023)