Maj. Gen. Troy Tupper Daniels is the Assistant Adjutant General for Air, and Air Component Commander, for the Arizona Air National Guard, and serves as the Air National Guard Assistant to the Secretary of the Air Force, International Affairs (SAF/IA). In his role at Arizona ANG, he is responsible for leadership and direction of the state’s F-16/MQ-9 Wing, KC-135 Air Refueling Wing, and over 2,700 Airmen with a mission to provide operationally trained, equipped, and ready forces in support of national defense requirements worldwide, and emergency response capability throughout Arizona and the surrounding region. At SAF/IA, he advises senior leaders on Guard-related security cooperation programs such as the State Partnership Program, which currently includes partnerships with 100 nations around the world.
Maj. Gen. Daniels earned his Air Force commission in 1990 through the Reserve Officer Training Corps at Montana State University and has been a full-time Guardsman since completing 10 years of active-duty service. He has commanded at the squadron, group, and wing levels and is a command pilot with more than 4,000 hours flying F-16s, MQ-1Bs, KC-135s, and T-38s.
Maj. Gen. Daniels flew in support of Overseas Contingency Operations in multiple theaters while deployed in place at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base. He also served as the Executive Officer for the Vice Chief of the National Guard Bureau, and as the Deputy Adjutant General for the Arizona National Guard. Prior to his current assignments, he was the Joint Task Force Commander for Arizona, Joint Force Headquarters, Phoenix, Arizona.
1990 Bachelor of Science, Electrical Engineering, Montana State University, Bozeman
1997 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2006 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2012 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
1. December 1990–January 1992, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Reese Air Force Base, Texas
2. January 1992–January 1993, Base Exercise Evaluation Team, Reese AFB, Texas
3. January 1993–April 1994, F-16 Flight Training, Luke AFB, Ariz.
4. April 1994–January 1997, F-16 Pilot, Squadron Scheduler, and Squadron Electronic Combat Officer, 14th Fighter Squadron, Misawa Air Base, Japan
5. February 1997–August 2000, T-38 Instructor Pilot, and Chief of Squadron Standardization and Evaluation, 87th Flying Training Squadron, Laughlin AFB, Texas
6. August 2000–August 2001, F-16 Transition and Instructor Pilot Training, 162nd Operations Group, Arizona Air National Guard, Tucson, Ariz.
7. August 2001–May 2008, F-16 Instructor Pilot, Flight Commander, Squadron Long Range Scheduler, and Assistant Director of Operations, 148th Fighter Squadron, Arizona ANG, Tucson, Ariz.
8. May 2008–April 2009, F-16 Flight Examiner, Instructor Pilot, Wing Standardization and Evaluation Officer, 162nd Operations Group, Arizona ANG, Tucson, Ariz.
9. April 2009–December 2010, Director of Operations, 148th Fighter Squadron, Arizona ANG, Tucson, Ariz.
10. December 2010–April 2011, Director of Operations, Operations Support Squadron, 162nd Operations Group, Arizona ANG, Tucson, Ariz.
11. May 2011–September 2013, Commander, 214th Reconnaissance Squadron, Arizona ANG, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
12. October 2013–December 2014, Commander, 162nd Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Arizona ANG, Tucson, Ariz.
13. January 2015–December 2015, Commander, 214th Reconnaissance Group, Arizona ANG, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
14. December 2015–January 2018, Commander, 161st Air Refueling Wing, Arizona ANG, Goldwater ANG Base, Phoenix, Ariz.
15. January 2018–March 2019, Executive Officer for Vice Chief, National Guard Bureau, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
16. April 2019–July 2019, Director of Staff-Air, Arizona Joint Force Headquarters, Arizona ANG, Papago Park Military Reservation, Phoenix, Ariz.
17. July 2019–November 2020, Deputy Adjutant General, Arizona Joint Force Headquarters, Arizona National Guard, Papago Park Military Reservation, Phoenix, Ariz.
18. December 2020–January 2023, Commander, Joint Task Force Arizona, Arizona NG, Papago Park Military Reservation, Phoenix, Ariz.
19. January 2023–present, Assistant Adjutant General-Air, Arizona Joint Force Headquarters, Arizona ANG, Papago Park Military Reservation, Phoenix, Ariz.
20. January 2023–present, Air National Guard Assistant to the Secretary of the Air Force for International Affairs, Arlington, Va.
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 4,000
Aircraft flown: F-16, KC-135R, MQ-1 and T-38
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant July 26, 1990
First Lieutenant July 26, 1992
Captain July 26, 1994
Major Aug. 15, 2001
Lieutenant Colonel Aug. 15, 2008
Colonel Jan. 22, 2015
Brigadier General July 14, 2019
Major General Jan. 7, 2023
(Current as of March 2023)