Lt. Gen. Dorothy A. Hogg is the Surgeon General, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Virginia. Lt. Gen. Hogg serves as functional manager of the U.S. Air Force Medical Service. In this capacity, she advises the Secretary of the Air Force and Air Force Chief of Staff, as well as the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Health Affairs on matters pertaining to the medical aspects of the air expeditionary force and the health of Airmen. Lt. Gen. Hogg has authority to commit resources worldwide for the Air Force Medical Service, to make decisions affecting the delivery of medical services, and to develop plans, programs and procedures to support worldwide medical service missions. She exercises direction, guidance and technical management of a $6.1 billion, 44,000-person integrated healthcare delivery and readiness system serving 2.6 million beneficiaries at 76 military treatment facilities worldwide.
Prior to her current assignment, Lt. Gen. Hogg served as Deputy Surgeon General and Chief, Air Force Nurse Corps, Office of the Surgeon General, Falls Church, Virginia.
Lt. Gen. Hogg entered the Air Force in 1984 and has commanded at the squadron and group level, and served as the deputy command surgeon for two major commands. She has deployed in support of operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom.
1981 Bachelor of Science, Nursing, University of Southern Maine, Portland
1986 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
1987 Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner, School of Healthcare Sciences, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas
1992 Master of Public Administration, Troy State University, Troy, Ala.
1996 Air Command and Staff College, by seminar
1997 Master of Science, Nursing, Sigma Theta Tau, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston
2002 Air War College, by seminar
2007 Executive Development Intern, SDE in-residence equivalent
2010 Interagency Institute for Federal Healthcare Executives
2012 Joint Medical Executive Skills Medical Executive Skills Capstone Course
2014 Capstone, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. February 1984 – September 1986, Staff Nurse, OB/GYN Nursing Unit, U.S. Air Force Regional Hospital, Eglin Air Force Base, Fla.
2. September 1986 – March 1987, Nurse Practitioner Student, School of Healthcare Sciences, Sheppard AFB, Texas
3. March 1987 – September 1989, Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner, 410th Medical Group, K.I. Sawyer AFB, Mich.
4. September 1989 – December 1992, Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner, 52nd Medical Group, Spangdahlem Air Base, Germany
5. December 1992 – August 1996, Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner, 18th Medical Group, Kadena AB, Japan
6. August 1996 – July 1997, AFIT Master’s Student, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, S.C.
7. July 1997 – December 2001, Maternal-Infant Flight Commander, 366th Medical Group, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
8. December 2001 – May 2002, Family Practice Flight Commander, 314th Medical Group, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
9. May 2002 – July 2004, Clinical Medicine Flight Commander, 314th Medical Group, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
10. July 2004 – June 2006, 22nd Medical Operations Squadron Commander/Chief Nurse Executive, McConnell AFB, Kan.
11. June 2006 – June 2007, Executive Development Intern, Manpower and Organization/SDE equivalent, Headquarters U.S. Air Force/SG, Bolling AFB, Washington, D.C.
12. June 2007 – July 2008, 79th Medical Operations Squadron Commander, 79th Medical Group, Andrews AFB, Md.
13. July 2008 – August 2010, 9th Medical Group Commander, Beale AFB, Calif.
14. August 2010 – June 2012, Deputy Command Surgeon, Air Force Central Command, Shaw AFB, S.C.
15. June 2012 – July 2013, Deputy Command Surgeon, Air Force Materiel Command, Wright Patterson AFB, Ohio
16. July 2013 – September 2014, Chief, Air Force Nurse Corps/Assistant Surgeon General, Medical Force Development, Office of the Surgeon General, Falls Church, Va.
17. September 2014- June 2015, Chief, Air Force Nurse Corps/Director, Medical Operations and Research Office of the Surgeon General, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Falls Church, Va.
18. June 2015 – June 2018, Deputy Surgeon General/Chief, Air Force Nurse Corps, Office of the Surgeon General, Falls Church, Va.
19. June 2018 – present, Surgeon General, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with silver and two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
CURRENT NATIONAL CERTIFICATION
Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner National Certification Corporation
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTIONS
Second Lieutenant Dec. 29, 1983
First Lieutenant Jan. 14, 1986
Captain Jan. 14, 1988
Major Aug. 1, 1995
Lieutenant Colonel June 1, 2001
Colonel Nov. 1, 2006
Major General Aug. 9, 2013
Lieutenant General June 4, 2018
(Current as of May 2020)