Maj. Gen. Robert J. Skinner is the Commander, 24th Air Force; Commander, Air Forces Cyber and Commander, Joint Force Headquarters-Cyber, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas. General Skinner is responsible for providing Air Force component and combatant commanders with trained and ready cyber forces which plan, direct and execute global cyberspace operations.
Twenty-fourth Air Force and AFCYBER personnel build, extend, operate, secure and defend the Air Force portion of the Department of Defense global network. Joint Force Headquarters-Cyber personnel perform operational planning as part of coordinated efforts to support Air Force component and combatant commanders and, upon approval of the President and/or Secretary of Defense, the execution of offensive cyberspace operations. The general leads the activities of two cyberspace wings and the 624th Operations Center.
General Skinner was commissioned through Officer Training School in 1989. He has served in various tactical and fixed communications assignments, plans, policy and resource staff work. The general has commanded at the squadron, group and wing levels, and served on the staffs at a numbered Air Force, major command headquarters, Air Force headquarters and the Joint Staff. Prior to assuming his current position, General Skinner was the Deputy Commander, Air Force Space Command.
1989 Bachelor of Science, computer science, summa cum laude, Park College, Parkville, Mo.
1990 Basic Communications Officer Training, honor graduate, Keesler Air Force Base, Miss.
1993 Master of Science, computer science, honors, Oklahoma City University, Oklahoma City
1995 Squadron Officer School, distinguished graduate, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1996 Software Engineering Certification, Air Force Institute of Technology, Dayton, Ohio
1998 Advanced Communications Officer Training, Gen. Paschal Award winner, Keesler AFB, Miss.
2000 Command and General Staff College, AFCEA Writing Award winner, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
2003 Air War College, correspondence, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2006 Industrial College of the Armed Forces (Information Strategies Concentration), National Defense University, Washington, D.C.
1. August 1984–August 1989, Administrative Supervisor, Office of the Secretary of the Navy, Washington, D.C.
2. August 1989–November 1989, Officer Trainee, Lackland AFB, Texas
3. November 1989–April 1990, Student, Basic Communications Officer Training, Keesler AFB, Miss.
4. April 1990–May 1993, AWACS Software Programmer/Analyst, 552nd Air Control Wing, Tinker AFB, Okla.
5. May 1993–May 1994, Chief, AWACS Mission Software Section, 552nd Air Control Wing, Tinker AFB, Okla.
6. May 1994–March 1997, Chief, Database Engineering Section, U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb.
7. March 1997–June 1999, Commander, Info Systems Flight, 100th Air Refueling Wing, RAF Mildenhall, England
8. June 1999–June 2000, Student, Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
9. June 2000–July 2002, Commander, 27th Communications Squadron, Cannon AFB, N.M.
10. July 2002–June 2004, Strategic Plans and Policy Division Chief, Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
11. June 2004–July 2005, 14th Air Force Director of Communications and Commander 614th Space Communications Squadron, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
12. July 2005–June 2006, Student, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
13. July 2006–July 2008, Commander, 50th Network Operations Group, Schriever AFB, Colo.
14. July 2008–August 2009, Deputy Director, Policy and Resources, Secretary of the Air Force Warfighting Integration and Chief Information Officer, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
15. August 2009–July 2011, Commander, 688th Information Operations Wing, Lackland AFB, Texas
16. July 2011–July 2013, Inspector General, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
17. July 2013–September 2014, Deputy Commander, Air Forces Cyber, Fort George G. Meade, Md.
18. September 2014–March 2015, Chief of Staff, Defense Information Systems Agency, Fort George G. Meade, Md.
19. March 2015–June 2017, Deputy Commander, Joint Force Headquarters Department of Defense Information Networks, Fort George G. Meade, Md.
20. July 2017–July 2018, Deputy Commander, Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
21. July 2018–present, Commander, 24th AF; Commander, AFCYBER; and Commander, JFHQ-C, JBSA-Lackland, Texas
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. May 1994–March 1997, Chief, Database Engineering Section, U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb., as a captain
2. July 2002–June 2004, Strategic Plans and Policy Division Chief, Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va., as a lieutenant colonel
3. March 2015–June 2017, Deputy Commander, Joint Force Headquarters Department of Defense Information Networks, Fort George G. Meade, Md., as a brigadier general and major general
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Bronze Star Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Navy Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Nov. 7, 1989
First Lieutenant Nov. 7, 1991
Captain Nov. 7, 1993
Major July 1, 1999
Lieutenant Colonel March 1, 2002
Colonel March 1, 2006
Brigadier General July 26, 2013
Major General May 2, 2017
(Current as of July 2018)