Dr. Joseph W. Nichols, a senior-level executive, is the Technical Advisor for Flight Test and Evaluation, Air Force Test Center, Edwards Air Force Base, Calif. He is the senior technical advisor to the AFTC Commander regarding health and suitability of airframe, avionics, installed propulsion, and electronic warfare flight and supporting ground test capability across AFTC’s test ranges and facilities valued at more than $31 billion, including 116 aircraft and 164 ground test facilities. AFTC’s workforce of 18,000 military, civilians, and contractors and its ranges and facilities are located across the U.S. including Edwards AFB; Eglin AFB, Fla.; Holloman AFB, N.M.; and Arnold AFB, Tenn. Dr. Nichols establishes flight test and evaluation technical policy and procedures, and provides technical expertise and direction to the AFTC work force. He formulates testing approaches to assure scientific validity, effectiveness and efficiency in accomplishing ground and flight tests. Dr. Nichols represents the center on the Air Force Materiel Command Engineering Council, the Executive Committee of the Range Commanders Council, and the Spectrum Stewardship Senior Steering Group.
Dr. Nichols served for 26 years as an Air Force officer, retiring as a colonel. During this military career he served as a flight test engineer, test squadron commander and group commander. He was a senior non-rated aircrew member with flight test experience in the F-111, F-16, C-130 and C-17. Dr. Nichols was appointed a Senior Leader executive in October 2013.
1983 – Bachelor of Science degree in mechanical engineering, Brigham Young University
1987 – Master of Science degree in aeronautical engineering, Air Force Institute of Technology
1992 – Flight Test Engineers Course, U.S. Air Forcd Test Pilot School, Edwards AFB, Calif.
1996 – Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2013 – Doctor of Philosophy in mechanical engineering, Brigham Young University
1. May 1983 – June 1986, Laser Systems Engineer, Air Force Weapons Laboratory, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
2. June 1986 – December 1987, Graduate Student, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
3. December 1987 – June 1991, Aeronautical Engineer, Det. 3, Foreign Technology Division, Yokota AB, Japan
4. June 1991 – June 1992, Student, U.S. Air Force Test Pilot School, Edwards AFB, Calif.
5. June 1992 – June 1995, F-111 Flight Test Engineer, 337th Test Squadron, McClellan AFB, Calif.
6. June 1995 – June 1996, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
7. June 1996 – June 1998, Student, Joint Military Attaché School and Defense Language Institute, Bolling AFB, Washington, D.C.
8. June 1998 – July 2001, Assistant Air Attaché, U.S. Embassy Tel Aviv
9. July 2001 – June 2002, Deputy Group Commander, 412th Operations Group, Edwards AFB, Calif.
10. June 2002 – June 2004, Commander, 46th Test Squadron, Eglin AFB, Fla.
11. June 2004 – June 2005, Chief, Commander’s Action group, Air Armament Center, Eglin AFB, Fla.
12. June 2005 – August 2009, Commander, 412th Electronic Warfare Group, Edwards AFB, Calif.
13. August 2009 – August 2013, Graduate Student and Center Administrator, Center for Unmanned Aircraft Systems, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah
14. August 2011 – September 2013, Principal Analyst, Alpine Analysis LLC, Highland, Utah
15. October 2013 – present, Technical Advisor for Flight Test and Evaluation, Air Force Test Center, Edwards AFB, Calif.
MILITARY AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Afghanistan Campaign Medal
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Senior member, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
Senior member, Society of Flight Test Engineers
Air Force Association
Test and Evaluation, Level III, Acquisition Professional Development Program
(Current as of December 2013)