Peter E. Kim, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Air Force Chief Information Security Officer, Headquarters, United States Air Force, Washington, D.C. He is responsible for the oversight, development and execution of the Air Force cybersecurity program to provide confidentiality, integrity and availability for the information and information systems that support Air Force operations and support activities. Additionally, he ensures integrated and synchronized strategic employment of cybersecurity with cyber operations to deny freedom of action to adversaries, accomplish Air Force and joint force commanders’ objectives and enable mission assurance of AF Core Missions.
Mr. Kim received his commission in 1988 through the Air Force ROTC program at Tennessee State University and retired from active duty on June 1, 2013 in the grade of colonel. He commanded three Air Force communications and information operations squadrons and a Defense Information Systems Agency contracting field office in the Pacific. He held key positions at the squadron, major command, combatant command and joint levels. He was appointed to the Senior Executive Service in 2013.
1988 Bachelor of engineering degree in electrical engineering, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN
1994 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, AL
1998 Master of business administration degree, Troy University, Troy, AL
2000 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2006 Air War College, by correspondence
2015 Harvard University, Harvard Kennedy School - Cybersecurity: The Intersection of Policy and Technology, Executive Education Program, Cambridge, Massachusetts
1. October 1988 – March 1989, student, Communications-Electronics Officer Course, Keesler Air Force Base, Miss.
2. March 1989 – June 1989, communications exercise planner, Systems Integration, Logistics and Support Directorate, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson Air Force Base, Colo.
3. June 1989 – December 1992, systems control officer, 1st Space Wing; senior systems control officer, later, chief, systems center programs, 47th Communications Group; chief of plans, 721st Support Squadron, Cheyenne Mountain Air Station, Colo.
4. January 1993 – October 1995, Worldwide Military Command and Control System program manager, later, command and control systems project officer, 1856th Computer Systems Group; executive officer, later, squadron section commander, U.S. Air Forces in Europe Computer Systems Squadron, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
5. November 1995 – July 1998, commander, information systems flight, later, commander, support flight, 355th Communications Squadron, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz.
6. August 1998 – July 2001, chief, radio and satellite communications branch; later, Y2K test director; later, executive officer; later, chief, strategic plans branch, Communications and Information Directorate, Headquarters Pacific Air Forces, Hickam Air Force Base, Hawaii
7. August 2001 – June 2002, student, Education With Industry, Air Force Institute of Technology, Dell Computer Corporation, Round Rock, Texas
8. July 2002 – January 2004, Commander, 886th Communications Squadron, 86th Airlift Wing, Sembach Annex, Germany
9. January 2004 – July 2004, Commander, 835th Communications Squadron, 435th Air Base Wing, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
10. July 2004 – May 2006, Commander, Defense Information Technology Contracting Organization, Pacific, Ford Island, Naval Station Pearl Harbor, Hawaii
11. May 2006 – September 2006, Commander, 92d Information Warfare Aggressor Squadron, Air Force Information Warfare Center, Lackland AFB, Texas
12. September 2006 – July 2008, Commander, 92d Information Operations Squadron, Air Force Information Operations Center, Lackland AFB, Texas
13. July 2008 – June 2010, Strategic Planner, Cyberspace Division, Strategic Plans and Policy Directorate (J5), Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
14. June 2010 – January 2012, Chief, Operations Assessments, Operations Directorate (J3), United States Cyber Command, Fort Meade, Md.
15. January 2102 – October 2012, Chief, Strategic Initiatives Group, Operations Directorate (J3), United States Cyber Command, Fort Meade, Md.
16. October 2012 – February 2013, Lead, Joint Information Environment Ops Sponsor Group, Operations Directorate (J3), United States Cyber Command, Fort Meade, Md.
17. July 2013 – March 2015, Deputy Director, Cyberspace Operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
18. March 2015 – December 2015, Director, Task Force Cyber Secure and Deputy Director, Cyberspace Operations and Warfighting Integration, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
19. December 2015 – September 2016, Air Force Senior Information Security Officer, Director, Task Force Cyber Secure, and Deputy Director, Cyberspace Operations and Warfighting Integration, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
20. September 2016 – present, Air Force Chief Information Security Officer, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Federal 100 Annual Award
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Armed Forces Communications and Electronics Association
Air Force Association
(Current as of April 2017)