Maj. Gen. John M. Wood is Commander, 3rd Air Force, Ramstein Air Base, Germany. Third Air Force plans, deploys, sustains and redeploys Air Force forces that directly support the combatant commanders during contingency and wartime operations. General Wood oversees a headquarters staff and Airmen located at nine wings in Europe and one air expeditionary wing.
General Wood was commissioned in 1989, earning a degree in Aeronautical Engineering from the University of California at Davis. He has commanded an airlift wing, an air base wing and an air refueling squadron. His previous staff positions include tours at the Joint Staff at the Pentagon as well as Headquarters U.S. Transportation Command at Scott Air Force Base, Illinois.
As a Chief of Staff of the Air Force Fellow, he worked directly for the Secretary of Transportation advising on department-level strategic initiatives to include the Next Generation National Airspace Initiative. The general completed his senior development education as a RAND Fellow analyzing contemporary Air Force issues, such as C-130 fleet aging.
Prior to assuming his current position, he served as the Director of Strategic Plans, Requirements, and Programs at Headquarters Air Mobility Command. General Wood is a command pilot with more than 4,000 flying hours, primarily in the T-38, C-130, KC-10, C-17 and C-21.
1989 Bachelor of Science in Aeronautical Engineering, University of California, Davis
1996 Master of Science in Aeronautical Science, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, Fla.
1996 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2001 Air Command and Staff College Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2005 Air War College Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 Senior Development Education, RAND Corporation, Santa Monica, Calif.
2008 Leadership Development, Center for Creative Leadership, Greensboro, N.C.
2008 Leadership Seminar, Kenan-Flagler Business School, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
2011 Joint Professional Military Education, Phase II, Norfolk, Va.
2013 Defense Acquisition Executive Officer Workshop, Fort Belvoir, Va.
2016 Senior Joint Intelligence Operations Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2016 Combined Force Air Component Commander Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. November 1989 - November 1990, Student, undergraduate pilot training, 71st Flying Training Wing, Vance AFB, Okla.
2. November 1990 - October 1993, T-38 Pilot, instructor pilot, 25th Flying Training Squadron, Vance AFB, Okla.
3. October 1993 - December 1998, C-130H instructor pilot, flight examiner pilot, and Group Standardization and Evaluation pilot, 317th AG, Dyess AFB, Texas
4. December 1998 - September 2001, KC-10 pilot, instructor pilot, flight examiner pilot and Chief of Squadron Standardization and Evaluation, 6th Air Refueling Squadron, Travis AFB, Calif.
5. September 2001 - August 2004, Assistant Executive Officer to Commander, Air Mobility Command, and Aide de Camp to Commander, U.S. Transportation Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
6. September 2004 - June 2006, Commander, 32nd Air Refueling Squadron, McGuire AFB, N.J. (February 2005 - June 2005, Commander, 908th Expeditionary Air Refueling Squadron, Southwest Asia)
7. July 2006 - June 2007, Senior Development Education, Air Force Operations Fellow, RAND Corporation, Santa Monica, Calif.
8. June 2007 - May 2008, Deputy Commander, 60th Operations Group, Travis AFB, Calif.
9. May 2008 - May 2009, Chief of Staff of the Air Force Fellow and Senior Air and Space Advisor to the Secretary of Transportation, Arlington, Va.
10. May 2009 - June 2011, Commander, 437th Airlift Wing, Joint Base Charleston, S.C.
11. June 2011 - July 2013, Commander, Joint Base and 87th Air Base Wing, Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst, N.J.
12. July 2013 - March 2015, Deputy Director of Strategic Plans, Requirements, and Programs, Scott AFB, Ill. (July 2014 - Jan 2015, AFCENT Director of Mobility Forces, U.S. Central Command, Southwest Asia)
13. March 2015 - June 2017, Deputy Director for Politico-Military Affairs (Europe, NATO, Russia), Strategic Plans and Policy Directorate (J5), the Joint Staff, Arlington, Va.
14. June 2017 - August 2018, Director of Strategic Plans, Requirements, and Programs, Scott AFB, Ill.
15. September 2018 – Present, Commander, 3rd Air Force, Ramstein AB, Germany
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. September 2002 - August 2004, Aide de Camp to Commander, U.S. Transportation Command, Scott AFB, Ill., as a major and lieutenant colonel
2. March 2015 – June 2017, Deputy Director for Politico-Military Affairs (Europe, NATO, Russia), Strategic Plans and Policy Directorate (J5), the Joint Staff, Arlington, Va., as a brigadier general
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: more than 4,000
Aircraft flown: T-38, C-130E/H/H1/H2, KC-10, C-17, C-21
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal
Aerial Achievement Medal
Army Commendation Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant April 1, 1989
First Lieutenant July 25, 1991
Captain July 25, 1993
Major Nov. 1, 2000
Lieutenant Colonel April 1, 2004
Colonel Sept. 1, 2007
Brigadier General Dec. 31, 2013
Major General Aug. 2, 2017
(Current as of September 2018)