Ronald R. Ratton, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Command Counsel, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. He is the principal legal advisor to the AFMC commander and staff. Mr. Ratton is responsible for all legal services provided to an organization with some 89,000 personnel who manage $67 billion annually in research, development, test and evaluation while providing the acquisition management services and logistics support required to develop, procure and sustain Air Force weapon systems.
Mr. Ratton was commissioned upon graduation from the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1985 and retired from active duty in 2014, after nearly 29 years of service as a commissioned officer. While on active duty, Mr. Ratton served as a Signals Intelligence Officer and in a variety of legal advisor and leadership positions, including four tours as a Staff Judge Advocate and as the Assistant Vice Commander for the Air Force Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Agency, Lackland AFB, Texas.
Prior to his current assignment, Mr. Ratton served as the Staff Judge Advocate for Air Force Global Strike Command, Barksdale AFB, Louisiana. He is a member of the Indiana bar.
1985 Bachelor of Science, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1993 Juris Doctor, cum laude, Notre Dame Law School, Ind.
1999 Master of Laws, University of Virginia School of Law, Charlottesville
2006 Master of Strategic Studies with Academic Distinction, Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2014 Air Force Senior Leader Orientation Course, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
2015 APEX Department of Defense Senior Executive Service Orientation Program, Washington, D.C.
2017 Air Force Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Kenan-Flagler Business School, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
1. March 1986–September 1986, Student, Intelligence Officer Training, Lowry Air Force Base, Colo. and Goodfellow AFB, Texas
2. September 1986–July 1989, Deputy Commander, Detachment 1, 6940th Electronic Security Wing, Rosman Research Station, N.C.
3. July 1989–July 1990, Chief, Special Programs, Headquarters Electronic Security Command, Kelly AFB, Texas
4. July 1990–July 1993, Student, Air Force Institute of Technology, University of Notre Dame Law School,
5. July 1993–July 1996, Assistant Staff Judge Advocate, 12th Flying Training Wing, Randolph AFB, Texas
6. July 1996–June 1998, Staff Judge Advocate, 424th Air Base Squadron, RAF Fairford, United Kingdom
7. July 1998–June 1999, Student, Air Force Institute of Technology, University of Virginia School of Law, Charlottesville
8. June 1999–June 2002, Deputy Officer in Charge, U.S. Sending State Office for Italy, United States
9. July 2002–June 2005, Staff Judge Advocate, 374th Airlift Wing, Yokota Air Base, Japan
10. July 2005–June 2006, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
11. June 2006–July 2008, Director, General and Administrative Law, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
12. July 2008–June 2011, Staff Judge Advocate, Air Force Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Agency, Lackland AFB, Texas
13. September 2010–June 2011, Assistant Vice Commander, Air Force Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Agency, Lackland AFB, Texas
14. June 2011–February 2014, Staff Judge Advocate, Headquarters Air Force Global Strike Command, Barksdale AFB, La.
15. February 2014–present, Command Counsel, Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
AWARDS AND HONORS
Meritorious Civilian Service Award
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with two oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
(Current as of January 2021)