Brig. Gen. Paul W. Tibbets IV is Deputy Commander, Air Force Global Strike Command and Deputy Commander, Air Forces Strategic-Air, U.S. Strategic Command, Barksdale Air Force Base, Louisiana. AFGSC provides strategic deterrence, global strike and combat support to USSTRATCOM and other geographic combatant commands.
The command organizes, trains, equips and maintains combat-ready forces that provide strategic deterrence, global strike and combat support to USSTRATCOM and other geographic combatant commands. The command is comprised of more than 33,700 professionals operating at two Numbered Air Forces and 11 active-duty, Air National Guard and Air Force Reserve wings. Weapons systems assigned to the command include Minuteman III Intercontinental Ballistic Missiles, B-1, B-2 and B-52 bombers, UH-1N helicopters, the E-4B National Airborne Operations Center aircraft and the Nuclear Command, Control and Communications systems.
General Tibbets received his commission through the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1989. Following graduation, he served in a variety of operational assignments as a B-1 pilot, and subsequently as a B-2 pilot. The general has commanded at the squadron and wing levels, and flew combat missions in support of operations in Southwest Asia, the Balkans and Afghanistan. His staff assignments include Executive Officer to the Commander, Eighth Air Force, Chief of the Nuclear Policy Branch at NATO Headquarters and Deputy Director of Operations for AFGSC.
Prior to his current assignment, he served as the Commander of the 509th Bomb Wing at Whiteman AFB, Missouri. General Tibbets is a command pilot with more than 4,000 flying hours.
1989 Bachelor of Science, Human Factors Engineering, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1996 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2000 Masters of Science, Human Factors Engineering, University of Idaho, Moscow
2001 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence.
2003 Master of Arts, National Security and Strategic Studies, College of Naval Command and Staff, Newport Naval Station, R.I.
2006 Air War College, by correspondence.
2009 Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2010 NATO Defense College, Rome
2010 Leadership Development Program, Center for Creative Leadership, Greensboro, N.C.
2012 U.S. Air Force Enterprise Leadership Seminar, University of Virginia Darden School of Business, Charlottesville
2016 Joint Flag Officer Warfighting Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. September 1989 - September 1990, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Williams AFB, Ariz.
2. September 1990 - April 1991, Student, B-1 Combat Crew Training, Dyess AFB, Texas
3. April 1991 - July 1995, B-1 Pilot, Safety Officer, Flight Scheduler, 37th Bomb Squadron, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
4. August 1995 - November 1995, Student, T-38 Pilot Instructor Training, Randolph AFB, Texas
5. November 1995 - March 1997, T-38 Instructor Pilot, 393rd Bomb Squadron/394th Combat Training Squadron, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
6. March 1997 - September 1997, Student, B-2 Initial Qualification Training, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
7. September 1997 - August 1999, B-2 Pilot, Instructor Pilot, Flight Examiner and Chief, B-2/T-38 Standardization and Evaluation, 393rd Bomb Squadron, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
8. September 1999 - April 2000, Deputy Chief, Wing Standardization and Evaluation, 509th Operations Group, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
9. April 2000 - April 2002, Executive Officer for Eighth Air Force Commander, Barksdale AFB, La.
10. April 2002 - June 2003, Student, College of Naval Command and Staff, Newport Naval Station, R.I.
11. July 2003 - May 2004, Assistant Director of Operations, B-2/T-38 Flight Examiner, 325th Bomb Squadron, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
12. June 2004 - June 2005, Director of Operations, 325th/13th Bomb Squadron, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
13. June 2005 - April 2006, Director of Staff, 509th Bomb Wing, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
14. April 2006 - October 2007, Commander, 393rd Bomb Squadron, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
15. October 2007 - August 2009, Chief, Nuclear and CBRN Defense Policy Branch, NATO Headquarters, Brussels, Belgium
16. August 2009 - February 2010, Student, NATO Defense College, Rome
17. June 2010 - July 2011, Vice Commander, 379th Air Expeditionary Wing, Southwest Asia
18. July 2011 - July 2013, Commander, Air Force Inspection Agency, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
19. July 2013 - February 2014, Deputy Director of Operations, Air Force Global Strike Command, Barksdale AFB, La.
20. February 2014 - May 2015, Deputy Director for Nuclear Operations, U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb.
21. June 2015 - July 2017, Commander, 509th Bomb Wing, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
22. July 2017 – September 2017, Deputy Commander, Air Force Global Strike Command, Barksdale AFB, La.
23. September 2017 - present, Deputy Commander, Air Force Global Strike Command, and Deputy Commander, Air Forces Strategic- Air, U.S. Strategic Command, Barksdale AFB, La.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. October 2007 - August 2009, Chief, Nuclear and CBRN Defense Policy Branch, NATO Headquarters, Brussels, Belgium, as a colonel
2. February 2014 - May 2015, Deputy Director for Nuclear Operations, U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb., as a brigadier general
3. September 2017 - present, Deputy Commander, Air Forces Strategic - Air, U.S. Strategic Command, Barksdale AFB, La., as a brigadier general
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 4,000 hours, including 350 combat hours
Aircraft flown: T-38A, B-1B, B-2A, B-52H
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Distinguished Flying Cross
Air Force Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal
Army Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal with ‘N’ Device with two oak leaf clusters
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 31, 1989
First Lieutenant May 31, 1991
Captain May 31, 1993
Major Aug. 1, 2000
Lieutenant Colonel April 1, 2004
Colonel Sept. 1, 2008
Brigadier General Aug. 8, 2014
(Current as of October 2017)