Thomas A. Lockhart, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Director of Engineering and Technical Management, Air Force Nuclear Weapons Center, Hill Air Force Base, Utah. He enhances warfighter support as the center’s lead for nuclear systems and digital engineering, weapon system integrity, cyber security, test and evaluation, workforce development, technology insertion and multi-domain system support for Minuteman III, Air Launched Cruise Missile, Command and Control.
Prior to his current assignment, Mr. Lockhart was the Air Force Research Laboratory’s Director for both its Plans and Programs Directorate and its Strategic Development Planning and Experimentation Directorate managing the processes that define Air Force Research Laboratory's $2 billion annual investment in technologies for future Air Force systems and enables the alignment of science and technology resources.
Mr. Lockhart has had two tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. In his last tour as the NATO Resolute Support Essential Function for Sustainment, Kabul, Afghanistan, he exercised oversight of Afghanistan National Defense and Security Forces sustainment for 385,000 Ministry of Defense and Interior military and police forces yearly budgets of over $3.2 billion.
Mr. Lockhart began his career in 1987 working as a journeyman engineer in training and simulation at Hill Air Force Base, Utah. He has served as an Engineer, Chief Engineer, Acquisition Program Manager, Group Director, Combatant Command Financial Manager, Deputy Program Executive Officer and Security Cooperation Director.
1987 Bachelor of Science, Electrical Engineering, University of Wyoming, Laramie
1992 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1997 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.2004 Master of Business Aviation Administration, Embry Riddle Aeronautical University
2005 Graduate Certification for System Engineers, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
2009 Graduate Certification for Homeland Defense, University of Colorado, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1. 1987 - 1995, Design Engineer, Hill Air Force Base, Utah
2. 1995 - 1998, System Engineer, Training and Simulation Product Group, Hill AFB, Utah
3. 1998 - 1999, Acquisition Support Specialist, Training and Simulation Product Group, Hill AFB, Utah
4. 1999 - 2000, Chief Engineer, Training and Simulation Product Group, Hill AFB, Utah
5. 2000 - 2001, Chief Engineer, Telecommunications Product Group Manager, Hill AFB, Utah
6. 2001 - 2003, Chief Engineer, Space, Command, Control and Communication Directorate, Hill AFB, Utah
7. 2003 - 2004, System Engineer Practitioner, Air Force Institute of Technology, Center for System Engineering, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
8. 2004 - 2005, Deputy Director, Advanced Computational Analysis Directorate, Wright- Patterson AFB, Ohio
9. 2005 - 2005, Transformation Advisory Group, Air Force Material Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
10. 2005 - 2008, Director and Deputy Director, 526th Intercontinental Ballistic Missile System Group, Hill AFB, Utah
11. 2008 - 2010, Assistant Director, Programs and Evaluation, North American Aerospace Defense Command-U.S. Northern Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
12. 2010 - 2011, Deputy Director, USF-I, Iraq Security Assistance Mission, Baghdad, Iraq
13. 2011 - 2011, Deputy Director, USF-I, Office of Security Cooperation Iraq Transition Team, Baghdad, Iraq
14. 2011 - 2014, Deputy PEO for Tankers, Air Force Life Cycle Management Center, Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
15. 2014 - 2017, Director, Materials and Manufacturing Directorate, Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
16. 2017 - 2019, Director of the Plans and Programs Directorate and Director of the Strategic Development Planning and Experimentation Directorate, Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
17. 2019 - present, Director of Engineering and Technical Management, Air Force Nuclear Weapons Center, Hill AFB, Utah
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
2003 Exemplary Civilian Service Award
2010 2011 Joint Civilian Service Commendation Award
2011 Meritorious Civilian Service Award
2011 Iraq Campaign Medals
2017 Afghanistan/NATO Campaign Medals
2018 Meritorious Civilian Service Award
Defense Institute of Security Assistance Management Certification, Baghdad, Iraq
Center for Creative Leadership, Colorado Springs, Colo.
Senior Manager Course in National Security, George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
Strategic Persuasion, Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia
Air Force Enterprise Leadership Seminar, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
Program for Executives in Logistics and Technology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
Acquisition Certification Level III, Program Management, System Engineering, Defense Acquisition University
Acquisition Certification Level I, Logistic Management, Test and Evaluation, Defense Acquisition University
(Current as of May 2019)