Thomas A. Lockhart, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is Director of the Plans and Programs Directorate and Director of the Strategic Development Planning and Experimentation Directorate, Headquarters Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. He is responsible for developing and managing the processes that define Air Force Research Laboratory's $2 billion annual investment in technologies for future Air Force systems and enables the alignment of Science and Technology resources.
Prior to his current assignment, Mr. Lockhart was the NATO Resolute Support Essential Function for Sustainment, Kabul, Afghanistan. He exercised oversight of Afghanistan National Defense and Security Forces sustainment for 385,000 Ministry of Defense and Interior military and police forces yearly budgets of over $3.2 billion.
Mr. Lockhart began his career in 1987 working as a journeyman engineer in training and simulation at Hill Air Force Base, Utah. He has served as an engineer, chief engineer, acquisition program manager, group director, combatant command financial manager, program executive officer and Security Cooperation Director both in Iraq and Afghanistan.
1987 Bachelor of Science degree in electrical engineering, University of Wyoming, Laramie
1992 Air Command and Staff College, Seminar, Air University, Montgomery, Alabama
1997 Air War College, Seminar, Air University, Montgomery, Ala.
2004 Master of Business Aviation Administration, Embry Riddle Aeronautical University
2005 Graduate Certification for System Engineers, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
2009 Graduate Certification for Homeland Defense, University of Colorado, Colorado Springs, Colorado
Defense Institute of Security Assistance Management Certification, Baghdad, Iraq
Center for Creative Leadership, Colorado Springs, Colorado
Senior Manager Course in National Security, George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
Strageic Persuasion, University of Pennsylvania - Wharton School, Philadelphia
Air Force Enterprise Leadership Seminar, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
Program for Executives in Logistics and Technology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
Acquisition Certification Level III, Program Management, System Engineering, Defense Acqusition University
Acquisition Certification Level I, Logistic Management, Test and Evaluation, Defense Acquisition University
1. 1987 – 1995, Design Engineer, Hill AFB, Utah
2. 1995 – 1998, System Engineer, Training and Simulation Product Group, Hill AFB, Utah
3. 1998 – 1999, Acquisition Support Specialist, Training and Simulation Product Group, Hill AFB, Utah
4. 1999 – 2000, Chief Engineer, Training and Simulation Product Group, Hill AFB, Utah
5. 2000 – 2001, Chief Engineer, Telecommunications Product Group Manager, Hill AFB, Utah
6. 2001 – 2003, Chief Engineer, Space, Command, Control and Communication Directorate, Hill AFB, Utah
7. 2003 – 2004, System Engineer Practitioner, Air Force Institute of Technology, Center for System Engineering, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
8. 2004 – 2005, Deputy Director, Advanced Computational Analysis Directorate, Wright- Patterson AFB, Ohio
9. 2005 – 2005, Transformation Advisory Group, Air Force Material Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
10. 2005 – 2008, Director and Deputy Director, 526th Intercontinental Ballistic Missile System Group, Hill AFB, Utah
11. 2008 – 2010, Assistant Director, Programs and Evaluation, NORAD-NORTHCOM, Peterson AFB, Colorado
12. 2010 – 2011, Deputy Director, USF-I, Iraq Security Assistance Mission, Baghdad, Iraq
13. 2011 – 2011, Deputy Director, USF-I, Office of Security Cooperation Iraq Transition Team, Baghdad, Iraq
14. 2011 – 2014, Deputy PEO for Tankers, Air Force Life Cycle Management Center, Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
15. 2014 – 2017, Director, Materials and Manufacturing Directorate, Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
16. 2017 - present, Director of the Plans and Programs Directorate and Director of the Strategic Development Planning and Experimentation Directorate, Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
2003 Exemplary Civilian Service Award
2010, 2011 Joint Civilian Service Commendation Award
2011 Meritorious Civilian Service Award
2011 Iraq Campaign Medal
2017 Afghanistan/NATO Campaign Medals
(Current as of March 2018)