Lt. Gen. Brian T. Kelly is the Deputy Chief of Staff for Manpower, Personnel and Services, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Virginia. General Kelly serves as the senior Air Force officer responsible for comprehensive plans and policies covering all life cycles of military and civilian personnel management, which includes military and civilian end strength management, education and training, compensation, resource allocation, and the worldwide U.S. Air Force services program.
General Kelly entered the Air Force in 1989 as a graduate of the University of Notre Dame’s ROTC program. He has held several command and staff positions at the base, major command, Air Staff, and Joint Staff levels. His command tours include a Mission Support Squadron, Mission Support Group, Combat Support Wing and the Air Force Personnel Center.
Prior to his current assignment, General Kelly served as the Commander of the AFPC at Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph, Texas.
1988 Bachelor of Science, Aerospace Engineering, University of Notre Dame, South Bend, Ind.
1995 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., Distinguished Graduate
2001 Master of Military Operational Art and Science, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2001 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., Distinguished Graduate
2006 Master of Science, National Resource Strategy, National Defense University, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
2006 Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C., Distinguished Graduate
2010 Air Force Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Darden School of Business, University of Virginia, Charlottesville
2013 Capitol Hill Enterprise Perspective Seminar, Washington, D.C.
2016 Advanced Senior Leadership Development Program, Strategic Engagement Seminar, Warrenton, Va.
2017 Driving Government Performance: Leadership Strategies that Produce Results, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
1. January 1989 - January 1993, Mission Control Engineer, Foreign Technology Division, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
2. February 1993 - May 1997, Engineer, Program Manager Advanced Tactical Intel Systems, Executive Officer, Classified Duty Location assigned to Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
3. June 1997 - June 2000, Program Element Monitor and Chief General Officer Promotion and Policy, Headquarters United States Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
4. July 2000 - May 2001, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
5. June 2001 - July 2003, Commander, 92nd Mission Support Squadron, Fairchild AFB, Wash.
6. August 2003 - July 2005, Deputy Director, Civilian Career Management, Air Force Personnel Center, Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph, Texas
7. August 2005 - June 2006, Student, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, National Defense University, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
8. July 2006 - June 2007, Executive Officer to the Deputy Chief of Staff, Manpower and Personnel, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
9. July 2007 - May 2008, Director of Manpower, Personnel and Administration (J1), Headquarters, U.S. Southern Command, Miami, Fla.
10. June 2008 - June 2009, Deputy Director for Human Resources, Resources and Assessments Directorate (J8), Headquarters, SOUTHCOM, Miami, Fla.
11. June 2009 - March 2011, Commander, 31st Mission Support Group, Aviano Air Base, Italy
12. March 2011 - July 2013, Commander, 501st Combat Support Wing, RAF Alconbury, United Kingdom
13. July 2013 - January 2014, Director, Manpower, Personnel and Services, Air Combat Command, JB Langley-Eustis, Va.
14. February 2014 - September 2014, Director, Force Management Policy, Deputy Chief of Staff, Manpower, Personnel, and Services, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
15. October 2014 - June 2017, Director, Military Force Management Policy, Deputy Chief of Staff, Manpower, Personnel, and Services, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
16. June 2017 - August 2018, Commander, AFPC, JB San Antonio-Randolph, Texas
17. September 2018 - present, Deputy Chief of Staff, Manpower, Personnel and Services, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. May 2004 - October 2004, Deputy Director of Manpower and Personnel (J1), Multi-National Security Transition Command-Iraq, Baghdad, Iraq, as a lieutenant colonel
2. July 2007 - May 2008, Director of Manpower, Personnel and Administration (J1), Headquarters, U.S. Southern Command, Miami, Fla., as a lieutenant colonel and colonel
3. June 2008 - June 2009, Deputy Director for Human Resources, Resources and Assessments Directorate (J8), Headquarters, SOUTHCOM, Miami, Fla., as a colonel
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award with oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Iraq Campaign Medal with bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Nov. 11, 1988
First Lieutenant Nov. 11, 1990
Captain Nov. 11, 1992
Major Aug. 1, 1998
Lieutenant Colonel Feb. 1, 2003
Colonel Sept. 1, 2007
Brigadier General June 2, 2014
Major General Aug. 2, 2017
Lieutenant General Sep. 4, 2018
(Current as of September 2018)