Joseph M. Oder, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Executive Director, Air Force Nuclear Weapons Center, Kirtland Air Force Base, N.M. He enables the Center to acquire and sustain affordable, timely and effective nuclear weapon systems for our nation's nuclear deterrence operations; develop and access operational solutions for our nation's counter weapons-of-mass-destruction capabilities; cultivate a thriving team that drives mission success in support of our nation's most powerful weapon systems; and provide integration and focus to the Air Force's nuclear experts for day-to-day operations and emergency response.
Mr. Oder entered the Air Force in May 1989 after graduating from the U.S. Air Force Academy and has more than 20 years of experience in nuclear weapons and counter proliferation with the U.S. Air Force and the National Nuclear Security Administration within the Department of Energy. He was awarded his missile operations badge in July 1990 and is a senior missileer with more than 200 combat alerts in Minuteman II. After obtaining a Master of Science degree in Nuclear Engineering, he took over as the program manager for ICBM Nuclear Survivability and later as the ICBM System Program Office executive officer. In 2000, he participated in the two-year Nuclear Weapons Fellowship Program at Sandia National Laboratories, where he focused on the technical aspects of current and retired nuclear weapons. He then served as the deputy chief for counterproliferation at Air Force Nuclear Weapons and Counterproliferation Agency. While assigned to the NNSA Headquarters beginning in 2004, Mr. Oder served as a program engineer for the Nuclear Bombs Division but was quickly elevated to the Deputy Director for the Office of Nuclear Weapons Stockpile. In 2007, he became the Acting Director and led the $1 billion per year nuclear stockpile program. He retired from the Air Force in 2009.
Mr. Oder began his civilian government service when NNSA selected him as the permanent director, a position that became an SES in 2012, where he provided executive leadership, management, and vision for five divisions and an operating budget of $1.4 billion. Prior to his current assignment, Mr. Oder was the Deputy Assistant Deputy Administrator for Major Modernization Programs, ensuring the viability of the nuclear weapon stockpile by planning, executing, and evaluating all nuclear weapon-related modernization programs.
1989 Bachelor of Science in Engineering Physics, U.S. Air Force Academy
1996 Master of Science in Engineering Management, West Coast University
1997 Master of Science in Nuclear Engineering, Air Force Institute of Technology
2004 Master of Military Operational Art and Science, Air University
1. August 1990 - March 1994, Missile Combat Crewmember, 44th Missile Wing, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
2. March 1994 - May 1996, Command Post Control Officer, 30th Space Wing, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
3. May 1996 - January 1998, Student, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
4. January 1998 - July 1999, ICBM Survivability Program Manager, ICBM System Program Office, Hill AFB, Utah
5. July 1999 - September 2000, Executive Officer to the Program Director, ICBM System Program Office, Hill AFB, Utah
6. September 2000 - September 2002, Intern, Nuclear Technologies Fellowship, Air Force Institute of Technology, Sandia National Laboratories, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
7. September 2002 - August 2003, Deputy Chief, Counterproliferation, Nuclear Weapons and Counterproliferation Agency, HAF-XON, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
8. August 2003 - June 2004, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Air University, Ala.
9. June 2004 - December 2005, Nuclear Program Engineer, Bombs Division, National Nuclear Security Administration, Washington, D.C.
10. December 2005 - March 2008, Deputy Director, Office of Nuclear Weapons Stockpile, NNSA, Washington, D.C.
11. March 2008 - May 2009, Acting Director, Office of Nuclear Weapons Stockpile, NNSA, Washington, D.C.
12. May 2009 - March 2012, Director, Nuclear Weapons Stockpile Division, NNSA, Washington, D.C.
13. March 2012 - May 13, Director, Office of Nuclear Weapon Stockpile, NNSA, Washington, D.C.
14. May 2013 - March 2014, Deputy Assistant Deputy Administrator for Major Modernization Programs, NNSA, Washington, D.C.
15. March 2014 - present, Executive Director, Air Force Nuclear Weapons Center, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Air Force Meritorious Service Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf cluster devices
Outstanding Unit Award
Combat Readiness Medal
National Defense Service Medal with one bronze star device
Defense Programs Military Excellence Award
Undersecretary of Energy (NNSA Administrator) Gold Award For Distinguished Service
Undersecretary of Energy (NNSA Administrator) Bronze Award For Excellence
Undersecretary of Energy (NNSA Administrator) Career Appreciation Award
Undersecretary of Energy (NNSA Administrator) Achievement Award
(Current as of May 2014)