Maj. Gen. John P. Stokes is the Director of Air, Space and Information Operations, Air Force Reserve Command, Robins Air Force Base, Georgia. He is responsible for directing Reserve operations for 69 reserve flying units and 10 operational space units gained by eight major commands to fulfill commitments in support of U.S. national objectives. The directorate oversees all Reserve operational assets and capabilities to include tactical fighter, aerial refueling, strategic airlift, special operations, combat rescue, hurricane surveillance, aeromedical evacuation, aerial spray and modular airborne fire-fighting capability.
Maj. Gen. Stokes was commissioned in 1985 as an Army ROTC distinguished graduate from Utah State University. He spent nearly 13 years on active duty in Army combat aviation and military intelligence assignments. After Sept. 11, 2001, he joined the Air Force Reserve following a three-year break in service. The general has held numerous wing leadership and command positions, as well as staff experience at U.S. Southern Command and Headquarters U.S. Air Force. His combat experience includes operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom. Prior to his current assignment he was the Mobilization Assistant to the Commander, Air Force Reserve Command, Robins AFB.
He is a command pilot with more than 5,000 flying hours in nine different military and civilian aircraft.
1985 Bachelor of Science, Business Administration, Utah State University, Logan
1993 Combined Arms Services Staff School, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
1998 Joint Military Planner's Course, Dam Neck, Va.
2005 Air Command and Staff School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2007 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 Masters in Strategic Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2010 Safety and Accident Investigation Board President Course, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
2012 Command Air Force Forces Senior Staff Course, Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst, N.J.
2012 Senior Executive Fellows Program, Harvard Kennedy School of Government, Cambridge, Mass.
2015 Combined/Joint Task Force Land Component Commander Course, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
1. June 1985 - July 1986, Student, Initial Entry Rotary Wing Training, Fort Rucker, Ala.
2. July 1986 - October 1989, Assistant Company Operations Officer, Company Executive Officer, Platoon Leader, Assistant Battalion S-3 (Plans and Training), 9th Infantry Division, Fort Lewis, Wash.
3. October 1989 - October 1990, Student, Military Intelligence Officer Transition Course, Military Intelligence Officer's Advanced Course, Fort Huachuca, Ariz.
4. October 1990 - September 1991, Student, Fixed Wing Transition Course, OV-1D Mohawk Qualification Course, Fort Rucker, Ala.
5. September 1991 - March 1993, Platoon Leader, Company Operations Officer, Camp Humphreys, South Korea
6. March 1993 - March 1997, Joint Surveillance and Target Attack Radar System Action Officer, Company Commander, Battalion Operations Officer (S-3), Fort Huachuca, Ariz.
7. March 1997 - December 1998, Operations Officer, Chief - Special Technical Operations, U.S. Southern Command, Quarry Heights, Panama/Miami
8. Separated from the Army, took three-year break then joined the Air Force Reserve
9. September 2001 - May 2004, Aircraft Commander, Mobility Officer, 357th Airlift Squadron, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
10. May 2004 - July 2006, Commander, 357th ASq, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
11. July 2006 - July 2007, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
12. July 2007 - October 2007, Chief, Coalition Air Force Transition Team – Iraq Support, 2nd Air Force, Keesler AFB, Miss.
13. October 2007- July 2008, Deputy Commander, 602nd Training Group (Provisional), Keesler AFB, Miss.
14. July 2008 - May 2009, Deputy Director, Curtis E. LeMay Center for Doctrine Development and Education, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
15. May 2009 - January 2010, Assistant Director, Curtis E. LeMay Center for Doctrine Development and Education Liaison Office, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
16. January 2010 - September 2011, Vice Commander, 440th Airlift Wing, Pope Field, N.C. (June 2011 - September 2011, Acting Commander, 602nd TRG (Prov.), Keesler AFB, Miss.)
17. October 2011 - September 2013, Mobilization Assistant to the Commander, 2nd Air Force, Keesler AFB, Miss.
18. October 2013 - October 2014, Mobilization Assistant to the Director of Operational Planning, Policy and Strategy, Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations, Plans and Requirements, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Va.
19. October 2014 - August 2015, Special Assistant to the Chief, Air Force Reserve, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Va.
20. August 2015 - August 2016, Mobilization Assistant to the Commander, Air Force Special Operations Command, Hurlburt Field, Fla. (December 2015 - August 2016, Director of Operations, AFSOC, Hurlburt Field, Fla.)
21. August 2016 - November 2017, Commander, 22nd Air Force, Air Force Reserve Command, Dobbins Air Reserve Base, Ga.
22. November 2017 - January 2019, Mobilization Assistant to the Commander, AFRC, Robins AFB, Ga.
23. January 2019 - present, Director of Air, Space and Information Operations, AFRC, Robins AFB, Ga.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. March 1997 - December 1998, Operations Officer, Chief - Special Technical Operations, U.S. Southern Command, Quarry Heights, Panama/Miami, as a major
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 5,000
Aircraft flown: C-130H2, T-1A, OV/RV-1D, RC-12N, U-21, UH/EH-60A, UH-1H, CE-560 and CL-65
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with silver oak leaf cluster
Air Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal
Army Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Army Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with Valor device
1996 Knowlton Award for Excellence in Military Intelligence
1989 Douglas A. MacArthur Leadership Award, Division Selectee, 9th Infantry Division
1985 Honor graduate, Aviation Officer Basic Course
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 23, 1984
First Lieutenant Dec. 24, 1986
Captain Sept. 1, 1989
Major Oct. 1, 1996
Lieutenant Colonel Oct. 1, 2003
Colonel May 7, 2009
Brigadier General April 30, 2014
Major General July 31, 2016
(Current as of July 2019)