Lt. Gen. Jeffrey A. Rockwell is The Judge Advocate General, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Virginia. In that capacity, General Rockwell serves as the Legal Adviser to the Secretary and Chief of Staff of the Air Force, and all officers and agencies of the Department of the Air Force. He directs all judge advocates in the performance of their duties and is responsible for the professional oversight of more than 2,200 judge advocates, 350 civilian attorneys, 1,400 enlisted paralegals and 500 civilians in the Total Force Judge Advocate General's Corps worldwide, overseeing military justice, operational and international law, and civil law functions at all levels of Air Force command.
General Rockwell entered the Air Force through the Direct Appointment Program in June 1987. He has served as the Deputy Judge Advocate General, Commander of the Air Force Legal Operations Agency, and as a Staff Judge Advocate five times. He has written on several national security law matters, advancing Department of Defense and United States government interests on a variety of topics to include: Military Justice; United States government liability for civilian use of the Global Positioning System; customary international law; European Union law; rule of law development in Romania; the Solidarity movement in Poland; an interagency legal capability for rule of law development and State-Building; and the politics of strategic aircraft modernization. He has also authored several chapters in the DoD Law of War Manual, the Army Operational Law Handbook, and the Air Force Operations and the Law Handbook, in addition to contributing to the Tallinn Manual on International Law Applicable to Cyber Operations, and current efforts to publish manuals on international law applicable to military uses of outer space.
1984 Bachelor of Science, Accounting, summa cum laude, West Virginia University
1987 Juris Doctor, West Virginia University
1992 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., by correspondence
1994 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by seminar
1996 Master of Laws, Air and Space Law, Dean’s Honours List, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
2001 Air War College Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2007 Master of Science, National Security Strategy, National War College, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. June 1987 – January 1989, Assistant Staff Judge Advocate, 437th Air Base Group, Charleston Air Force Base, S.C.
2. January 1989 – September 1992, Deputy Staff Judge Advocate, 406th Tactical Fighter Training Wing, Zaragoza Air Base, Spain
3. September 1992 – June 1994, Labor Counsel, General Litigation Division, Air Force Legal Services Agency, Washington, D.C.
4. June 1994 – August 1995, Trial Attorney, General Litigation Division, Air Force Legal Services Agency, Washington, D.C.
5. August 1995 – August 1996, LL.M. Student, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
6. August 1996 – June 1998, Deputy Chief, Operations Law, International and Operations Law Division, Washington D.C.
7. June 1998 – June 2001, Staff Judge Advocate to the Defense Attaché and Commander-in-Chief, Pacific Command Representative to Australia, U.S. Embassy, Canberra, Australia
8. June 2001 – July 2003, Staff Judge Advocate, 48th Fighter Wing, RAF Lakenheath, U.K.
9. July 2003 – July 2004, Director of Staff, 48th FW, RAF Lakenheath, U.K.
10. July 2004 – July 2005, Chief, Military Justice Division, Air Force Legal Services Agency, Washington, D.C.
11. July 2005 – July 2006, Executive to The Judge Advocate General, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Va.
12. July 2006 – June 2007, Student, National War College, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
13. June 2007 – June 2008, Staff Judge Advocate, Air Force Special Operations Command, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
14. June 2008 – July 2012, Staff Judge Advocate, U.S. Air Forces in Europe, Ramstein AB, Germany
15. July 2012 – May 2013, Staff Judge Advocate, Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
16. May 2013 – May 2014, Commander, Air Force Legal Operations Agency, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
17. May 2014 – May 2018, Deputy Judge Advocate General, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Va.
18. May 2018 – present, The Judge Advocate General, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Va.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Department of State Meritorious Honor Award
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
First Lieutenant 29 June1987
Captain 29 Dec. 1987
Major 1 April 1995
Lieutenant Colonel 1 Aug. 2000
Colonel 1 April 2005
Major General 22 May 2014
Lieutenant General 18 May 2018
(Current as of January 2019)