Brig. Gen. Jose R. Monteagudo is the mobilization assistant to the Commander, U.S. Air Forces Central Command, Southwest Asia. Gen Monteagudo assists in developing contingency plans and conducting air operations in a 20-nation area of responsibility covering Central and Southwest Asia. He advises on all policies and programs relating to the Air Force Reserve.
Gen. Monteagudo entered the Air Force in 1988 after receiving his commission through the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps at the University of Florida where he earned a Bachelor of Science degree in nuclear engineering. He graduated from undergraduate pilot training and earned his wings in 1989. General Monteagudo has served in a variety of positions during his career including squadron commander, group deputy/vice commander, and wing commander. On his last assignment, he served as Commander of Joint Task Force-Guantanamo, Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
Gen. Monteagudo is a command pilot with over 3700 F-16 hours; 4000 total hours. He has over 380 combat hours and 130 combat missions.
1988 Bachelor of Science in Nuclear Engineering, University of Florida, Gainesville
2000 Squadron Officers School, by correspondence
2005 Air Command Staff College, by correspondence
2008 Air War College, by correspondence
2011 Master's degree in business administration, Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University, Evanston, Ill.
2011 U.S. Air Force Accident/Safety Board President Course, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
2012 Leadership Enhancement Program, Center for Creative Leadership, Greensboro, N.C.
2012 Joint Air and Space Operations Senior Staff Course, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
2014 Capstone, National Defense University, Washington, D.C.
2015 Senior Executives in National and International Security, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
1. June 1988 - June 1989, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Laughlin AFB, Texas
2. October 1989 - April 1990, F-16 Student Pilot, Luke AFB, Glendale, Ariz.
3. April 1990 - August 1992, F-16 Pilot, 308th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Homestead AFB, Fla.
4. August 1992 - April 1996, F-16 Instructor Pilot, Flight Examiner, 68th Fighter Squadron, Moody AFB, Ga.
5. April 1996 - February 1997, Air Reserve Technician, F-16 Instructor Pilot, 162nd Fighter Squadron, Arizona Air National Guard, Tucson, Ariz.
6. February 1997 - December 2005, F-16 Instructor Pilot, Flight Examiner, Assistant Operations Officer, 93rd Fighter Squadron, Homestead, ARB, Fla.
7. December 2005 - August 2008, Commander, 93rd Fighter Squadron, Homestead ARB, Fla.
8. August 2008 - February 2010, Deputy Commander, 482nd Operations Group, Homestead ARB, Fla.
9. February 2010 - January 2011, Vice Commander, 482nd Fighter Wing, Homestead ARB, Fla.
10. January 2011 - January 2013, Commander, 944th Fighter Wing, Luke AFB, Ariz.
11. January 2013 – September 2013, Mobilization Assistant to the Director of Plans and Programs (A5), Headquarters Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va.
12. September 2013 – July 2015, Deputy Director of Operations (J3), USSOUTHCOM, Miami, Fla.
13. July 2015 – Nov 2015, Commander, Joint Task Force-Guantanamo, Guantanamo Bay, Cuba
14. July 2015 – present, Mobilization Assistant to the Commander of U.S. Air Forces Central Command, Shaw AFB, S.C.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. September 2013 - June 2015, Deputy Director of Operations (J3), USSOUTHCOM, Miami, Florida, as a colonel and brigadier general
2. July 2015 - November 2015, Commander, Joint Task Force-Guantanamo, Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, as a brigadier general
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 3,900 hours
Aircraft flown: F-16 A/C, T-37, T-38, AT-38
Commercial: B777, B757, B767
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with Valor Device with one silver oak leaf cluster and two bronze oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal
National Defense Service Medal with service star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Southwest Asia Service Medal with service star
Iraq Campaign Medal with service star
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border
AF Longevity Service with four oak leaf clusters
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with two 'M' Devices
Air Force Training Ribbon
Kuwait Liberation Medal (Kingdom of Saudi Arabia)
Kuwait Liberation Medal (Government of Kuwait)
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 15, 1988
First Lieutenant May 15, 1990
Captain May 15, 1992
Major Aug. 16, 2001
Lieutenant Colonel Aug. 18, 2005
Colonel Feb. 2, 2010
Brigadier General May 1, 2014
(Current as of July 2016)