Maj. Gen. John T. Rauch Jr. is the Air Force Chief of Safety, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C., and Commander, Air Force Safety Center, Kirtland Air Force Base, New Mexico. He develops, executes and evaluates all Air Force aviation, ground, weapons, space and system mishap prevention and nuclear surety programs to preserve combat readiness. Additionally, he directs research to promote safety awareness and mishap prevention, oversees mishap investigations, evaluates corrective actions and ensures implementation. Finally, he manages, develops and directs all Air Force safety and risk management courses.
General Rauch received his commission in 1989 through the Air Force ROTC program at the University of Colorado at Boulder. He served in numerous flying tours and his staff assignments include Air Force Intelligence, Legislative Liaison, Air Education and Training Command, U.S. Special Operations Command and the Air Staff’s Skunk Works. He has commanded the 763rd Expeditionary Reconnaissance Squadron, the 338th Combat Training Squadron, the 552nd Air Control Wing and the 55th Wing.
General Rauch is a master navigator with more than 3,200 flying hours.
1989 Bachelor of Science in Aerospace Engineering, University of Colorado at Boulder
1995 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1997 Master of Arts in Organizational Management, George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
2001 Master of Military Operational Art and Science, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2002 Master of Airpower Art and Science, School of Advanced Airpower Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 NATO Defense College, Rome
2008 Joint and Combined Warfighting School, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2009 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Darden School of Business, University of Virginia, Charlottesville
2012 National and International Security Leadership Seminar, Washington, D.C.
1. September 1989 - June 1990, Student, Specialized Undergraduate Navigator Training, Mather AFB, Calif.
2. October 1990 - February 1991, Student, KC-135 Combat Crew Training School, Castle AFB, Calif.
3. March 1991 - July 1995, RC-135 Instructor, Evaluator Navigator and Operations Group Executive Officer, Offutt AFB, Neb.
4. August 1995 - June 1997, Air Force Intern Program, Intelligence and Legislative Liaison Directorates, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
5. June 1997 - July 2000, Instructor Navigator, Flight Commander and Assistant Director of Operations, Joint Specialized Undergraduate Navigator Training, Randolph AFB, Texas
6. July 2000 - July 2001, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
7. July 2001 - July 2002, Student, School of Advanced Air Power Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
8. July 2002 - July 2003, Deputy and Director Air Education and Training Command Commander's Action Group, Randolph AFB, Texas
9. July 2003 - December 2004, Operations Officer, 38th Reconnaissance Squadron, Offutt AFB, Neb.
10. December 2004 - October 2006, Commander, 338th Combat Training Squadron, Offutt AFB, Neb.
11. October 2006 - February 2007, Deputy Commander, 55th Operations Group, Offutt AFB, Neb.
12. February 2007 - August 2007, Student, NATO Defense College, Rome
13. August 2007 - June 2009, USSTRATCOM Special Operations Support Team Chief, USSOCOM, Offutt AFB, Neb.
14. June 2009 - July 2010, Vice Commander, 55th Wing, Offutt AFB, Neb.
15. July 2010 - June 2012, Commander, 552nd Air Control Wing, Tinker AFB, Okla.
16. June 2012 - June 2013, Commander, 55th Wing, Offutt AFB, Neb.
17. June 2013 - August 2014, Chief of Concepts, Strategy, and Wargaming for Headquarters Air Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
18. September 2014 – January 2017, Director of Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance Capabilities for Headquarters Air Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
19. January 2017 – July 2017, Director of Future Warfare for Headquarters Air Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
20. August 2017 – present, Air Force Chief of Safety, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C., and Commander, Air Force Safety Center, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. August 2007 - June 2009, USSTRATCOM Special Operations Support Team Chief, USSOCOM, Offutt AFB, Neb., as a colonel
Rating: Master navigator
Flight hours: More than 3,200
Aircraft flown: E-3B/C/G, RC-135U/V/W and T-43
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with silver oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant July 11, 1989
First Lieutenant July 11, 1991
Captain July 11, 1993
Major July 1, 1999
Lieutenant Colonel March 1, 2002
Colonel Aug. 1, 2007
Brigadier General May 2, 2014
Major General Dec. 3, 2017
(Current as of December 2017)