Maj. Gen. (Dr.) Roosevelt Allen is the Director, Medical Operations and Research, and Chief of the Dental Corps, Office of the Surgeon General, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Falls Church, Virginia. As Director of medical operations and research, he is responsible for executing health care policy in support of 44,000 personnel and 75 medical treatment facilities with a budget of more than $6.4 billion. General Allen ensures a quality, cost-effective, preventative-based health care continuum for 2.6 million beneficiaries worldwide. He is also responsible for providing strategic guidance for the Air Force Medical Service (AFMS) research and acquisitions, translating the Air Force Surgeon General vision into initiatives addressing and closing AFMS capability gaps. He provides direct oversight for the programming, planning, budgeting and execution of the AFMS Medical Modernization portfolio comprising $68.3 million Operations and Maintenance, $44.7 million annual research, development, test and evaluation funding and 482 military and civilian positions. As Chief of the Dental Corps, General Allen provides policy and operational advice to the Air Force Surgeon General on matters involving the dental practice of 1,000 dentists and 2,500 technicians.
Prior to this assignment, General Allen served as the Commander, 79th Medical Wing, Joint Base Andrews, Maryland. He was also the Command Surgeon, Headquarters Air Force District of Washington, Joint Base Andrews, and the Air Force Medical Component Commander, Defense Health Agency National Capital Region Medical Directorate, Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, Bethesda, Maryland., and provided the single voice for planning and implementing Air Force Medical Service activity in the National Capital Region.
1982 Honor graduate, Bachelor of Arts, Lincoln University, Pa.
1986 Doctor of Dental Surgery, Howard University College of Dentistry, Washington, D.C.
1992 Air Command and Staff College, by seminar
1996 Residency in Advanced Comprehensive General Dentistry, 59th Medical Wing, Lackland AFB, Texas 2000 Air War College, by seminar
2006 Interagency Institute for Federal Health Care Executives, George Washington University, D.C.
2007 Distinguished graduate, Master of Science, in national resource strategy, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2008 Joint Operations Medical Managers Course, Fort Sam Houston, Texas
2009 Joint Medical Executive Skills CAPSTONE Symposium, Washington, D.C.
2012 U.S.Army Medical Strategic Leadership Program, San Antonio, Texas
2015 Capstone, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. August 1986 – July 1989, Staff Dental Officer, 2nd Strategic Air Wing Hospital, Barksdale AFB, La.
2. July 1989 – October 1993, Staff Dental Officer, 48th Tactical Fighter Wing Hospital, Royal Air Force Lakenheath, England (April 1991 – July 1991, Chief Dental Services 39th Tactical Group Air Transportable Hospital, Silopi, Turkey)
3. October 1993 – July 1994, Staff Dental Officer, 59th Medical Wing, Lackland AFB, Texas
4. July 1994 – July 1996, Resident, Advanced Comprehensive General Dentistry, 59th Medical Wing, Lackland AFB, Texas
5. July 1996 – July 1997, Chief, General Dentistry Element, 436th Dental Squadron, Dover AFB, Del.
6. July 1997 – July 1999, Clinical Dentistry Flight Commander, Deputy Squadron Commander, Chief East Coast Port Mortuary Forensic Dental Service, 436th Dental Squadron, Dover AFB, Del. (May 1997 – August 1997 Chief Dental Services 4404th Medical Group-Provisional, Southwest Asia)
7. July 1999 – July 2000, Assistant Director, Advanced Education General Dentistry residency 1st Dental Squadron, Langley AFB, Va.
8. July 2000 – July 2004, Residency Flight Commander and Director, Advanced Education General Dentistry residency, 1st Dental Squadron, Langley AFB, Va.
9. July 2004 – July 2006, Commander, 355th Dental Squadron, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
10. July 2006 – July 2007 Student National Defense University, Industrial College Armed Forces, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J McNair, Washington, D.C.
11. July 2007 – July 2009, Commander 5th Medical Group, Minot AFB, N.D. (September 2008 – January 2009, Commander, 376th Expeditionary Medical Group, Southeast Asia)
12. July 2009 – June 2012, Director United States Air Force Dental Corps, Division Chief, Air Force Medical Service Recruitment Force Sustainment, Office of the Surgeon General, Washington, D.C.
13. June 2012 – June 2014, Deputy Command Surgeon, Air Education and Training Command, Randolph AFB, Texas
14. June 2014 – June 2015, Commander, 79th Medical Wing, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
15. June 2015 – present, Director, Medical Operations and Research, Office of the Surgeon General, Falls Church, Va.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Recognition Ribbon
National Defense Service Medal with service star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Southwest Asia Service Medal with one service star
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal with service star
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal
1997 Air Force Junior Dental Officer of the Year 1997
2007 Major General Harold Mashburn Excellence in Leadership Award, ICAF
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Master, Academy of General Dentistry Fellow, International College of Dentists
Fellow, American Board of General Dentistry
Fellow, American College of Dentistry
Member, American Dental Association, former Air Force delegate
Member, National Dental Association
Member, Association of Military Surgeons United States
(Current as of June 2015)