Gregg Costabile, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is Director, Engineering and Technical Management, Eglin Air Force Base, Florida. He is responsible for the quality and effectiveness of scientific and engineering support provided to weapon systems developed and acquired by the Weapons Product Directorate. He assures the proper allocation of personnel, and the engineering and acquisition processes and tools for Eglin AFB’s program offices. He is Eglin AFB’s senior scientist & engineering manager and provides executive leadership and functional direction to a work force of more than 1,200 S&E professionals supporting Eglin AFB’s mission. On behalf of SAF-CIO he also serves as the Air Force’s Weapons Authorizing Official.
Mr. Costabile has 32 years of weapon system acquisition experience that includes lab, technology transition, Command staff, test and evaluation, and weapon systems program offices. He served as Chief Engineer in the Small Diameter Bomb and AMRAAM program offices and as the Director of Engineering for the Air Dominance Division at Eglin AFB. Prior to his current assignment he was the Director of Engineering and Technical Management for the F-35 Lightning II Joint Program Office in Arlington, Virginia. He assumed his current position in March 2018.
1985 Bachelor of Science in aerospace engineering, University of Florida, Gainesville
1993 Master of Science in aerospace engineering, University of Florida, Gainesville
2006 Air War College
1. November 1985 – April 1987, Test Engineer, 3246th Test Wing, Aircraft Compatibility Division, Eglin AFB, Fla.
2. April 1987 – August 1992, Test Program Manager, Special Projects, 3246th Test Wing, Eglin AFB, Fla.
3. August 1992 – August 1993, student, long-term, full-time training, University of Florida extension, Eglin AFB, Fla.
4. August 1993 – September 1995, Test Program Integrated Product Team Leader, AFMC/CC HIGH GEAR, 46th Test Wing, Eglin AFB, Fla
5. September 1995 – June 1996, Test Programming Engineer, 39th Flight Test Squadron, Eglin AFB, Fla.
6. June 1996 – February 1998, Test and Aircraft Integration Facilitator, Boeing Joint Air-to-Surface Standoff Missile team, Eglin AFB, Fla.
7. February 1998 – January 2002, Chief, Test and Aircraft Integration, Joint Air-to-Surface Standoff Missile, Eglin AFB, Fla.
8. January 2002 – January 2003, Source Selection Chairperson, Chief Engineer, Small Diameter Bomb, Eglin AFB, Fla.
9. January 2003 – January 2005, Chief Engineer, Counter Air Joint Systems Program Office, Eglin AFB, Fla.
10. January 2005 – April 2006, Executive Officer, Deputy PEO for Weapons and Executive Director, Eglin AFB, Fla.
11. April 2006 – March 2014, Director of Engineering, Air Dominance Division, Eglin AFB, Fla.
12. March 2014 – March 2018, Director of Engineering, Joint Strike Fighter Program Office, Arlington, Va.
13. March 2018 – present, Director, Engineering and Technical Management, Eglin AFB, Fla.
AWARDS AND HONORS
1995 Air Force Civilian Tester of the Year
1995 Meritorious Civilian Service
2001 Exceptional Civilian Service, Secretary of the Air Force
2003 Chief Engineer of the Year, Air Armament Center
2017 Exceptional Civilian Service, Secretary of Defense
(Current as of May 2018)