Mr. Jeffrey R. Mayo, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is currently the Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Force Management Integration. He provides guidance and oversight in the formulation of strategic plans and policies impacting Air Force military and civilian human resource functions and activities to include: compensation and entitlements, education and training, total force military personnel policy, civilian personnel policy, manpower and organization, and officer and enlisted accession programs. Mr. Mayo chairs the Air Force Human Resources Strategic Board and is the Manpower and Reserve Affairs representative to the Air Force Board.
Prior to assuming his current position, Mr. Mayo served as Director, Accession Policy, in the Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness, and had oversight of policy, planning, and program review of Active and Reserve recruiting and accessions. Additionally, he was responsible for standards and policies related to enlistment and officer commissioning. Prior to his Office of the Secretary of Defense assignment, Mr. Mayo was the Chief, Organization Division, Manpower, Organization and Resources Directorate, Deputy Chief of Staff for Manpower and Personnel and Services, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. He was responsible for developing and implementing organization policies and structures applicable to all Air Force units.
Before he returned to the Pentagon in 2009, he served as Vice Commander, 66th Air Base Wing, Hanscom Air Force Base, Massachusetts and had previously commanded the 95th Mission Support Group, Edwards Air Force Base, California.
Mr. Mayo was commissioned as a distinguished graduate of the Baylor University Reserve Officer Training Corps Program. He is experienced in manpower, programming, personnel, and budgeting. He has served at wing level in the Tactical Air Command, Military Airlift Command, Air Education and Training Command, Air Force Materiel Command, and Air Force Special Operations Command. In addition, he has been assigned to Headquarters Tactical Air Command, the Air Staff, Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe (SHAPE), and the Office of the Secretary of Defense (P&R). He retired in the grade of Colonel.
1983 Bachelor of Business Administration, Baylor University, Waco, Texas
1986 Master of Business Administration, St. Edward's University, Austin, Texas
1987 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1997 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1997 Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2000 Air War College, non-resident program
2003 Master of Science, National Resource Strategy, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Ft. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2007 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Kennan-Flagler Business School, UNC-Chapel Hill, N.C.
2009 Johns Hopkins International Security Seminar, Baltimore, Md.
2009 Anti-Terrorism/Force Protection Level (ATFP$), Tyson's Corner, Va.
2014 APEX Senior Executive Orientation, Office of the Secretary of Defense, Washington, D.C.
2015 Air Force Smart Operations, Executive Leadership Course, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tenn.
2015 Enterprise Perspective Seminar, Alan L. Freed Associates, Washington, D.C.
2017 Leadership Decision Making, Harvard Kennedy School of Government, Cambridge, Mass.
1. October 1983 - January 1984, Student, Manpower Management Officer Course, Keesler AFB, Miss.
2. January 1984 - August 1986, Manpower Officer, Detachment 1 4400th Management Engineering Squadron, Bergstrom AFB, Texas
3. August 1986 - December 1989, Manpower Staff Officer, HQ Tactical Air Command, Langley AFB, Va.
4. January 1990 - December 1991, Commander, Detachment 14, 1600th Management Engineering Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
5. December 1991 - August 1993, Chief, Manpower and Organization, 1st Special Operations Wing, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
6. August 1993 - August 1996, Staff Officer and later Executive Officer, Directorate of Programs and Evaluation, Headquarters USAF, the Pentagon, Washington D.C.
7. August 1996 - June 1997, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
8. June 1997 - September 1997, Student, Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
9. September 1997 - July 2000, Deputy Chief, Manpower and Organization Branch, Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe (SHAPE), Mons, Belgium
10. August 2000 - July 2002, Commander, 314th Mission Support Squadron, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
11. August 2002 - June 2003, Student, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, National Defense University, Ft. McNair, Washington, D.C.
12. June 2003 - July 2004, Director, Military Requirements, Office of the Deputy Under Secretary of Defense, Program Integration, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
13. July 2004 - July 2006, Commander, 95th Mission Support Group, 95th Air Base Wing, Edwards AFB, Calif.
14. July 2006 - July 2009, Vice Commander 66th Air Base Wing, Hanscom AFB, Mass.
15. July 2009 - January 2011, Chief, Strategic Sourcing Division, Directorate of Manpower, Organization and Resources, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
16. February 2011 - November 2012, Chief, Organization Division, Directorate of Manpower, Organization and Resources, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
17. December 2012 - May 2014, Director, Accession Policy, Office of the Secretary of Defense Personnel and Readiness, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
18. June 2014 - present, Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Force Management Integration, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
(Current as of January 2018)