Maj. Gen. Gregory S. Champagne is the Air National Guard Assistant to the Commander, Air Force Global Strike Command, Barksdale Air Force Base, La. The command organizes, trains, equips and maintains all U.S. intercontinental ballistic missile and bomber forces. The Command's mission is to provide strategic deterrence, global strike and combat support. The command's nine wings control the nation's entire inventory of Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missiles, B-1, B-2 and B-52 bomber aircraft.
General Champagne received his commission through the Academy of Military Science in 1981. He then continued through formal F-4 Phantom navigator and pilot training courses. In 1991, he transitioned to the F-15 Eagle. He has served in numerous flying positions as both an instructor pilot and commander. General Champagne experiences include assignments in flying operations, logistics, aircraft maintenance, a National Guard Bureau staff assignment, and wing staff positions. He flew combat missions in Operations Provide Comfort and Southern Watch and commanded the 407th Air Expeditionary Group, Tallil Air Base, in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. General Champagne achieved combat mission ready status in the B-2 Spirit in 2008. General Champagne's previous assignment was Commander, 131st Bomb Wing, Missouri Air National Guard, Whiteman Air Force Base, Missouri, where he commanded the National Guard's only B-2 unit that provides nearly 1,100 combat-ready Airmen for both state and federal missions.
1981 Bachelor of Science, Management, Tarkio College, Tarkio, Mo.
1998 Air War College, by correspondence
2001 Senior Leaders Course, Andrews AFB, Md.
2008 Air Mobility Senior Leaders Course, Scott AFB, Ill.
2009 Advanced Joint Professional Military Education, Norfolk, Va.
2010 Air Force Nuclear Management Fundamentals Course, Kirtland Air force Base, New Mexico
2014 Dual Status Commanders Course, North American Aerospace Defense Command/Northern Command (NORAD/NORTHCOM), Peterson AFB, Colo.
2014 Capstone General and Flag Officer Course, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2015 Nuclear 400 Course, Kirtland Air force Base, N.M.
1. June 1981 - February 1982, Student, undergraduate navigator training, 323rd Flying Training Wing, Mather AFB, Calif.
2. February 1982 - February 1983, Student, F-4 operational training course, 184th Tactical Fighter Group, McConnell AFB, Kan.
3. February 1983 - September 1984, Weapons System Officer, 110th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Lambert International Airport, Mo.
4. September 1984 - August 1985, Student, undergraduate pilot training, 82nd Student Squadron, Williams AFB, Ariz.
5. August 1985 - January 1986, Student, basic lead-in training, 479th Tactical Training Wing, Holloman AFB, N.M.
6. January 1986 - September 1986, Student, Air National Guard operational training course, 184th Tactical Fighter Group, McConnell AFB, Kan.
7. September 1986 - October 1991, Aircraft Commander F-4E, 110th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Lambert International Airport, Mo.
8. October 1991 - July 1993, F-15 Pilot, 110th Fighter Squadron, Lambert International Airport, Mo.
9. July 1993 - August 1994, Fighter Pilot, Air National Guard readiness center, Andrews AFB, Md.
10. August 1994 - August 1995, Commander, 131st Maintenance Squadron, Lambert International Airport, Mo.
11. August 1995 - August 1996, Commander, 131st Aircraft Generation Squadron, Lambert International Airport, Mo.
12. August 1996 - March 1997, Plans Officer, 131st Fighter Wing, Lambert International Airport, Mo.
13. March 1997 - March 1998, F-15 Pilot, 110th Fighter Squadron, Lambert International Airport, Mo.
14. March 1998 - December 2000, Chief of Plans, 131st Fighter Wing, Lambert International Airport, Mo.
15. December 2000 - December 2003, Commander, 131st Logistics Group, Lambert International Airport, Mo.
16. December 2003 - August 2005, Commander, 131st Maintenance Group, Lambert International Airport, Mo.
17. August 2005 - August 2009, Vice Commander, 131st Fighter Wing, Lambert International Airport, Mo.
18. August 2009 - April 2013, Commander, 131st Bomb Wing, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
19. April 2013 - present, Assistant Adjutant General - Air, Missouri National Guard, Joint Force Headquarters, Jefferson City, Mo.
20. February 2015 - present, Air National Guard Advisor to the Commander, Air Force Global Strike Command, Barksdale Air Force Base, La.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 3,600
Aircraft flown: B-2A, F-15 A/B/C/D, F-4 C/D/E, C-12, T-38, T-37
AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Army Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with oak leaf cluster
Combat Readiness Medal with two silver oak leaf clusters and two bronze oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal with bronze star
Iraq Campaign Medal with bronze star
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 25, 1981
First Lieutenant June 25, 1984
Captain June 25, 1987
Major June 12, 1993
Lieutenant Colonel June 22, 1997
Colonel March 21, 2002
Brigadier General April 24, 2013
Major General April 28, 2016
(Current as of May 2016)