Thomas J. Murphy, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Deputy Assistant Secretary for Financial Operations, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Financial Management and Comptroller, Washington, D.C. Mr. Murphy is the principal adviser to the Assistant Secretary and the Air Force senior staff on all issues involving the amended Chief Financial Officers Act of 1990 and related financial management reforms. He is responsible at the executive level for ensuring the Air Force complies with legislative and executive financial management mandates leading to the effective and efficient use of the Air Force resources. Additionally, he is responsible for management of human resources and technology solutions for Air Force financial management.
Mr. Murphy, a native of Chicago, began his career in the private sector and worked in a variety of finance related positions until 2007. His federal career began in 2007 as a Director for Component Solutions, Financial Management Center of Excellence (FMCoE) where he was responsible for providing support and oversight for the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) project managers. He then served as the Deputy Site Director for DFAS Cleveland and Site Director for DFAS Cleveland and DFAS Columbus.
1982 Bachelor of Science degree in Accounting, Roosevelt University, Chicago
1985 Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
2000 Master of Business Administration degree, University of Minnesota, Duluth
2011 Lean Six Green Belt
2011 Certified Defense Financial Manager (CDFM)
1. 1982 - 1985, Public Accountant, Miller & Associates, Ltd., Chicago
2. 1985 - 1991, Owner, Thomas J. Murphy, Certified Public Accountant, Chicago
3. 1991 - 1994, Tax Manager, Eikill & Schilling, Ltd., Duluth, Minn.
4. 1994 - 1996, Controller, Best Oil Company, Cloquet, Minn.
5. 1996 - 1998, Implementation Manager, Professional Datasolutions, Inc., Temple, Texas
6. 1998 - 2002, Controller, Dairy Mart Convenience Stores, Hudson, Ohio
7. 2002 - 2007, Director of Store Accounting and Associate Vice President of Strategic System Management and Analysis, Things Remembered, Highland Heights, Ohio
8. 2007 - 2009, Director for Component Solutions, FMCoE, DFAS Cleveland
9. 2009 - 2011, Deputy Site Director, FMCoE DFAS, DFAS Cleveland
10. 2011 - 2014, Site Director, DFAS, DFAS Cleveland
11. 2014 - 2014, Site Director, DFAS, DFAS Columbus, Ohio
12. 2014 - present, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Financial Operations, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Financial Management and Comptroller, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
American Society of Military Comptroller
The American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
Financial Management, Level III
Certified Public Accountant
Certified Defense Financial Manager
(Current as of May 2017)