Maj. Gen. John R. Gordy II is Commander, U.S. Air Force Expeditionary Center, Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst, New Jersey. The Expeditionary Center is the Air Force's center of excellence for Rapid Global Mobility and expeditionary Agile Combat Support training and education, while also providing direct oversight for the Global Air Mobility Support System and installation support, contingency response and building partnership capacity mission sets within the global mobility enterprise. The Expeditionary Center provides operational control of the Expeditionary Operations School and administrative control for five wings and two groups within Air Mobility Command. These units include the 87th Air Base Wing and the 621st Contingency Response Wing at JB McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst; the 515th Air Mobility Operations Wing at JB Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii; the 521st AMOW at Ramstein Air Base, Germany; the 628th ABW at JB Charleston, South Carolina; the 43rd Air Mobility Operations Group at Pope Field, North Carolina and the 627th Air Base Group at JB Lewis-McChord, Washington.
General Gordy received his commission through the ROTC program at the University of North Carolina, Charlotte in 1988. His career includes numerous operational and staff assignments at the squadron, wing, major command, combatant command and joint staff levels. He has commanded at the squadron and wing levels, and served as both a wing and numbered Air Force Vice Commander. He is a graduate of the U.S. Air Force Weapons School and National War College. Prior to his current assignment, he served as the Senior Defense Official and Defense Attaché to Turkey.
General Gordy is a master navigator with more than 4,700 flying hours in the C-130 E/H and T-43 aircraft.
1988 Bachelor of Arts, Economics, University of North Carolina, Charlotte
1996 Master of Arts, Business, Webster University, St. Louis
1997 U.S. Air Force Weapons School, Nellis Air Force Base, Nev.
2003 Master of Arts, Airpower Studies, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 Master of Science, National Security Strategy, National War College, Washington, D.C.
2011 National Security Studies Program, Elliott School of International Affairs, George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
2012 U.S. Air Force Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Darden School of Business, University of Virginia, Charlottesville
2016 Joint Military Attaché School, Defense Intelligence Agency, Bolling AFB, Washington, D.C.
1. January 1989 - April 1990, Student, Undergraduate Navigator Training, Mather Air Force Base, Calif.
2. April 1990 - June 1994, Instructor Navigator and Chief of Combat Tactics, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska.
3. June 1994 - November 1995, Chief, Standardization and Evaluation Navigator, 53rd Airlift Squadron, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
4. November 1995 - July 1997, Flight Commander, 61st AS, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
5. July 1997 - December 1997, Student, U.S. Air Force Weapons School, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
6. December 1997 - June 1999, Assistant Director of Operations, 61st AS, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
7. June 1999 - June 2002, Assistant Director of Operations and Executive Officer to the Wing Commander, 41st AS, Pope AFB, N.C.
8. June 2002 - June 2003, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
9. June 2003 - June 2005, Deputy Chief, Combat Operations Division and Executive Officer to the Vice Commander, Scott AFB, Ill.
10. June 2005 - June 2007, Commander, 29th Weapons Squadron, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
11. June 2007 - June 2008, Student, National War College, Washington, D.C.
12. June 2008 - June 2009, Vice Wing Commander, 43rd Airlift Wing, Pope AFB, N.C.
13. June 2009 - July 2010, Commander, 386th Air Expeditionary Wing, Southwest Asia
14. July 2010 - June 2012, Assistant Deputy Director for Strategic Stability, Strategic Plans and Policy Directorate (J5), Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
15. June 2012 – June 2013, Vice Commander, 12th Air Force (Air Force Southern), Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
16. June 2013 – July 2014, Executive Officer to the Civilian Deputy to the Commander and Deputy Political Advisor to the Commander, U.S. European Command, Stuttgart-Vaihingen, Germany
17. July 2014 – August 2015, Executive Officer to the Deputy Commander, U.S. European Command, Stuttgart-Vaihingen, Germany
18. August 2015 – May 2016, Special Assistant to the Commander, EUCOM, Stuttgart-Vaihingen, Germany
19. May 2016 – August 2018, Senior Defense Official and Defense Attaché to Turkey, Ankara, Turkey
20. Aug 2018 – present, Commander, U.S. Air Force Expeditionary Center, Joint Base McGuire-Dix- Lakehurst, N.J.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. July 2010 - June 2012, Assistant Deputy Director for Strategic Stability, Strategic Plans and Policy Directorate (J5), Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va., as a colonel
2. June 2013 – May 2016, Executive Officer to the Civilian Deputy to the Commander and Deputy Political Advisor to the Commander; Executive Officer to the Deputy Commander; and Special Assistant to the Commander, U.S. European Command, Stuttgart-Vaihingen, Germany, as a colonel and brigadier general
3. May 2016 – Aug 2018, Senior Defense Official and Defense Attaché to Turkey, EUCOM, Ankara, Turkey, as a brigadier general.
Rating: master navigator
Flight Hours: more than 4,700
Aircraft: C-130 E/H and T-43
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Legion of Merit
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Combat Readiness Medal with silver oak leaf cluster
Iraq Campaign Medal with device
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 13, 1988
First Lieutenant Sept. 8, 1990
Captain Sept. 8, 1992
Major Jan. 1, 2000
Lieutenant Colonel April 1, 2004
Colonel Sept. 1, 2007
Brigadier General March 1, 2015
Major General Aug. 3, 2018
(Current as of March 2019)