William E. Marion II is the Deputy Chief Information Officer, Washington, D.C. Mr. Marion leads two directorates and supports 20,000 cyber operations and support personnel across the globe with a portfolio valued at $17 billion. He provides oversight of the Air Force’s Information Technology portfolio including the Information Technology investment strategy from networks to cloud computing, Enterprise policies, information resources management, IT innovation initiatives, information assurance, and related matters for the Department of the Air Force. As Deputy Chief Information Officer, Mr. Marion delivers cyber security, and enforces freedom of information act and privacy act laws. He integrates Air Force warfighting and mission support capabilities by networking and securing air, space, and terrestrial assets. Mr. Marion also leads career management initiatives for 10,000 IT/Cyber civilian personnel across all human resources facets from recruiting to professional development.
Mr. Marion has held various headquarters, major-command, center, group and squadron assignments, often interacting with national intelligence agencies. In these capacities, he has led technical and systems architectures, obtained funding for a multimillion-dollar network infrastructure programs, developed numerous IT and CIO policies and led DoD IT reform and innovation. Earlier positions also include serving as a Palace Acquire (PAQ) intern. As an intern, he received a breadth of experience by working in network and systems administration, program management, civilian program personnel management and computer training positions.
Bachelor of Arts in Mathematics. Summa cum Laude, Incarnate Word College, San Antonio
Master of Science in Computer Information Systems, distinguished graduate, St. Mary's University, San Antonio
Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
Advanced Communications Officer Training, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
Air Command and Staff College, by seminar
Air War College, by correspondence
Fellow, Excellence in Government
APEX Executive Development Course
Harvard Kennedy School, Fellow
1. August 1992 - January 1993, Artificial Intelligence Systems Analyst (PAQ Intern), 651st Communications Squadron, Air Force Materiel Command, San Antonio
2. January 1993 - August 1993, Small Computer Technical Trainer (PAQ Intern), 342nd Technical Training Squadron, Lackland AFB, Texas
3. August 1993 - January 1994, Systems Administrator (PAQ Intern), 6900th Communications Group, Lackland AFB, Texas
4. January 1994 - June 1994, Civilian Personnel and Training Specialist (PAQ Intern), Air Force Civilian Personnel Management Center, Randolph AFB, Texas
5. June 1994 - April 1995, Network and Systems Administrator (PAQ Intern), Operations Support Central, Air Force Information Warfare Center, AFIC San Antonio
6. April 1995 - August 1996, Project Manager, Communications-Computers Directorate, Headquarters Air Intelligence Agency San Antonio
7. August 1996 - May 1998, System Analyst, Communications-Computers Directorate, Headquarters Air Intelligence Agency San Antonio
8. May 1998 - January 2001, Chief, AIA Systems Integration Management Office (SIMO) Directorate of Operations, Architecture and Integration Branch, Headquarters Air Intelligence Agency San Antonio
9. January 2001 - September 2003, Chief, Architecture and War Fighter Integration Branch, Headquarters Air Intelligence Agency, San Antonio
10. September 2003 - May 2007, Director of Plans, 67th Information Operations Wing, Lackland AFB, Texas
11. May 2007 - September 2007, Deputy, Air Combat Command Communications Group, Langley AFB, Va.
12. October 2007 - April 2008, Acting Director, ACC Communications Group, Langley AFB, Va.
13. April 2008 - October 2008, Deputy, ACC Communications Group, Langley AFB, Va.
14. October 2008 - July 2012, ACC/A6 Chief Technology Officer, Langley AFB, Va.
15. July 2012 - April 2015, Air Force Space Command/A6 Chief Technology Officer, Peterson AFB, Colo.
16. April 2015 - May 2016, Chief Information Officer and Deputy Director, Plans and Integration, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
17. May 2016 - June 2018, Deputy Chief, Information Dominance and Deputy Chief Information Officer, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
18. June 2018 - November 2018, Acting Chief, Information Dominance and Deputy Chief Information Officer, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
19. November 2018 - Present, Deputy Chief Information Officer, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Fed100 Award (twice)
FedScoop 50 Golden Gov: Executive of the Year (twice)
Chief of Staff of the Air Force Exemplary Civilian Service Award
David Packard Excellence in Acquisition Award
Meritorious Civilian Service Award (twice)
Alamo Executive Professional of the Year
Air Force Outstanding Unit Excellence Award
Headquarters AIA and Headquarters AIA Directorate of Operations Outstanding Civilian of the Year
Annual Federal 100 Award
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Armed Forces Communications and Electronics Association
(Current as of March 2019)