Mr. Shawn Barnes, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Deputy Assistant Secretary for Congressional Budget and Appropriations Liaison, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Financial Management and Comptroller, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Virginia. Mr. Barnes serves as the Department of the Air Force’s primary liaison to congressional members and staff serving on the House and Senate Appropriations and Budget Committees. He leads a staff of military, civilian and contracted professionals to coordinate a cohesive financial management strategy to align Department of the Air Force priorities with congressional processes and timelines to support legislative action.
Mr. Barnes initiated his civil service with the U.S. Department of Agriculture where he assisted with research on, and vaccine development for, some of the world's most dangerous infectious animal diseases. Mr. Barnes left the USDA to join the Air Force in 1985 and retired from the service in 2013 as a colonel. He served in a wide variety of positions from intercontinental ballistic missile, space and staff operational missions, and positions including Instructor, Crew Commander, Executive Officer, and Chief of Special Operations. He commanded the 12th Space Warning Squadron at Thule Air Base, Greenland, and the 595th Space Group at Schriever Air Force Base, Colorado. Prior to his current assignment, Mr. Barnes was the Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Space Acquisition and Integration, HAF, the Pentagon, Arlington, Virginia.
1985 Bachelor of Science, Marine Biology, Long Island University, Southampton, N.Y.
1992 Distinguished Graduate, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1998 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1998 Master of Political Science, Auburn University at Montgomery, Ala.
2004 National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. September 1983–August 1985, Laboratory Technician, Plum Island Animal Disease Center, U.S. Department of Agriculture, N.Y.
2. April 1986–December 1990, Intercontinental Ballistic Missile Launch Officer, F.E. Warren Air Force Base, Wyo.
3. January 1991–April 1994, Deputy Commander, Space Defense Operations Center and Chief, Special Operations, U.S. Space Command, Cheyenne Mountain Air Force Station, Colo.
4. May 1994–June 1997, Chief Pacific Exercise Branch and Executive Officer, 14th Air Force, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
5. July 1998–June 1998, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
6. June 1998–April 2002, Chief Space Control Branch, Assistant Secretary of the Air Force (Space), Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
7. April 2002–May 2003, Commander, 12th Space Warning Squadron, Thule Air Base, Greenland
8. July 2003–June 2004, Student, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
9. July 2004–April 2007, Chief Space Policy, Joint Staff (J5), HAF, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
10. May 2007–May 2009, Chief, Space Situational Awareness and Command and Control Division, Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
11. May 2009–June 2011, Commander, 595th Space Group, Schriever AFB, Colo.
12. July 2011–September 2013, Chief Space Superiority Division, Air Force (A8P), HAF, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
13. October 2013–November 2014, Director, Space Control, Falcon Research, Inc., Va.
14. November 2014–May 2016, Deputy Director, Air Force Planning, HAF, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
15. June 2016–August 2017, Deputy Director, Secretary of the Air Force Office of Legislative Liaison, HAF, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
16. August 2017–April 2018, Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Space Operations, HAF, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
17. April 2018–September 2018, Assistant Vice Commander, Air Force Space Command, HAF, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
18. September 2018–December 2019, Deputy Principal Assistant to the Secretary of the Air Force for Space, HAF, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
19. December 2019–September 2021, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Space Acquisition and Integration, HAF, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
20. September 2021–present, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Congressional Budget and Appropriations Liaison, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Financial Management and Comptroller, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
MAJOR AWARDS AND HONORS
Exceptional Civilian Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
(Current as of April 2022)