Brig. Gen. Kyle W. Robinson is the Commandant of The Dwight D. Eisenhower School for National Security and Resource Strategy, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C. The Eisenhower School prepares selected military officers and civilians from around the world for strategic leadership and success in developing national security strategy and in evaluating, marshaling and managing resources in the execution of that strategy. As the commandant, General Robinson is responsible for formulating academic policies, supervising curriculum planning, and ensuring excellence in classroom teaching.
General Robinson was commissioned into the U.S. Air Force as a distinguished graduate of the ROTC program. After receiving his Bachelor of Science degree in electrical engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1989, he entered active duty and completed pilot training, where he was a distinguished graduate. He graduated with honors from defense language training prior to attending the Spanish Joint Senior Service School in Madrid, Spain, and was a distinguished graduate of the Industrial College of the Armed Forces at Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C. He has held numerous flying and staff positions and has commanded at the squadron, group and wing level.
Prior to being assigned to his current assignment, General Robinson served as the Commander of the 332nd Air Expeditionary Wing, Southwest Asia.
1989 Bachelor of Science degree, Electrical Engineering, MIT
1996 Master of Science degree, Electrical Engineering, University of Idaho
1997 Squadron Officer's School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2002 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2003 Defense Language Institute (Spanish), Monterey, Calif.
2004 Spanish Joint Senior Service School, Madrid, Spain
2006 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2008 Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2010 Leadership Enhancement Program, Center for Creative Leadership, N.C.
2012 Executive Leadership Seminar, Darden School of Business, Va.
2016 Combined Force Air Component Commander Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2017 Senior Officer Security Seminar, Dahlgren, Va.
1. May 1990 - May 1991, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Williams Air Force Base, Ariz.
2. June 1991 - January 1992, Student Pilot, B-1B Lancer Initial Qualification Training, Dyess AFB, Texas
3. February 1992 - May 1994, B-1B Copilot and Aircraft Commander, 46th Bomb Squadron, Grand Forks AFB, N.D.
4. June 1994 - December 1995, B-1B Aircraft Commander, 34th Bomb Squadron, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
5. January 1996 - April 1996, Student Pilot, Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals, Columbus AFB, Miss.
6. May 1996 - January 1997, Student Pilot, F-15E Initial Qualification Training, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
7. February 1997 - February 2000, F-15E Instructor Pilot and Mission Commander, Chief of Squadron Scheduling, then Flight Commander, 494th Fighter Squadron, RAF Lakenheath, United Kingdom
8. March 2000 - October 2002, F-15E Instructor Pilot and Mission Commander, Chief of Squadron Weapons, Assistant Chief of Wing Weapons, then Assistant Director of Operations, 335th Fighter Squadron, 4th Fighter Wing, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
9. November 2002 - May 2003, Student, Spanish Department, Defense Language Institute, Presidio of Monterey, Monterey, Calif.
10. June 2003 - June 2004, Student, Spanish Joint Senior Service School (U.S. Air Force Intermediate Development Education Equivalent), Madrid, Spain
11. June 2004 - September 2005, Chief, Air Combat Command Senior Officer Management, Directorate of Personnel, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, Va.
12. September 2005 - July 2007, Commander, 31st Test & Evaluation Squadron, Edwards AFB, Calif.
13. July 2007 - June 2008, Student, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
14. July 2008 - June 2010, Deputy Commander, Joint Warfare Analysis Center, Dahlgren, Va.
15. June 2010 - March 2012, Commander, 366th Operations Group, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
16. April 2012 - July 2014, Commander, 48th Fighter Wing, RAF Lakenheath, England
17. August 2014 - May 2015, Director, Chief of Staff of the Air Force’s Strategic Studies Group, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
18. May 2015 - May 2017, Vice Commander, Seventh Air Force, Air Forces Korea, and Chief of Staff, Air Component Command, Osan Air Base, South Korea
19. June 2017 - Jun 2018, Commander, 332nd Air Expeditionary Wing, Southwest Asia
20. Jul 2018 - Aug 2018, Special Assistant to the Provost, National Defense University, Fort Lesly J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
21. September 2018 – present, Commandant, The Dwight D. Eisenhower School for National Security and Resource Strategy, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
July 2008 - June 2010, Deputy Commander, Joint Warfare Analysis Center, Dahlgren, Va., as a colonel
May 2011 - September 2011, Battle Director, Combined Air and Space Operations Center, Southwest Asia, as a colonel
July 2018 - present, Special Assistant to the Provost and Commandant, The Dwight D. Eisenhower School for National Security and Resource Strategy, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C. as a brigadier general
Rating: command pilot
Flight Hours: more than 3,600 hours
Aircraft Flown: F-15E, B-1B, HH-60G, F-15D, F-16D, KC-135, AT-38B and T-38A
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with three oak leaf clusters
Distinguished Flying Cross
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with eight oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Gallant Unit Citation
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Kosovo Campaign Medal
Afghanistan Campaign Medal
Inherent Resolve Campaign Medal
Korean Defense Service Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Nov. 18, 1989
First Lieutenant Nov. 18, 1991
Captain Nov. 18, 1993
Major March 1, 2001
Lieutenant Colonel April 1, 2004
Colonel Oct. 1, 2008
Brigadier General March 2, 2015
(Current as of March 2019)