Maj. Gen. James A. Jacobson is the Director of Training and Readiness, Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Virginia. The directorate, encompassing seven divisions and the Air Force Agency for Modeling and Simulation, is responsible for policy, guidance and oversight of Air Force operational training infrastructure, officer and enlisted operations career field management, operational readiness and reporting and aircrew management.
Maj. Gen. Jacobson received his commission from the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1990. He has commanded operational units at the squadron, wing and direct reporting unit levels, and served as Vice Commander of the 60th Air Mobility Wing. He has served on U.S. Africa Command, Air Mobility Command and Headquarters U.S. Air Force Command staffs. Prior to his current assignment, he served as the Commander of the Air Force District of Washington, Joint Base Andrews, Maryland.
Maj. Gen. Jacobson is a command pilot with more than 4,100 flying hours in the T-37B, T-38A, KC-135R/T, C-141B, KC-10A, C-12 and UH-1N. He has flown combat missions in operations Desert Shield, Allied Force and Enduring Freedom.
1990 Bachelor of Science, Computer Science, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
1996 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., by correspondence
2002 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2003 Master of Arts, Leadership, Bellevue University, Omaha, Neb.
2003 U.S. Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
2005 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2008 National Defense Fellow, Georgetown University, Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service, Institute for the Study of Diplomacy, Washington, D.C.
2010 Leadership Development Program, Center for Creative Leadership, Greensboro, N.C.
1. August 1990 – October 1991, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Columbus Air Force Base, Miss.
2. November 1991 – March 1992, Student, KC-135 Initial Qualification Training, Castle AFB, Calif.
3. April 1992 – November 1995, Aircraft Commander, KC-135R, Grand Forks AFB, N.D.
4. November 1995 – June 1998, Chief of Standardization and Evaluation, 909th Air Refueling Squadron, Kadena Air Base, Japan
5. July 1998 – July 2001, Flight Commander, Chief of Training, and Group Executive Officer, 13th Airlift Squadron, 6th AS and 305th Operations Group, McGuire AFB, N.J.
6. July 2001 – June 2002, Executive Officer to the Commander, 21st Air Force, McGuire AFB, N.J.
7. June 2002 – June 2003, Student, United States Army Command & General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
8. June 2003 – March 2005, Chief, Distributed Mission Operations and Program Element Monitor, Operational Training Division, Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Va.
9. April 2005 – July 2007, Commander, 573rd Global Support Squadron, 615th Contingency Response Wing, Travis AFB, Calif.
10. July 2007 – June 2008, National Defense Fellow, Georgetown University, Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service, Institute for the Study of Diplomacy, Washington, D.C.
11. June 2008 – July 2010, Deputy Foreign Policy Advisor, Headquarters U.S. Africa Command, Stuttgart, Germany
12. July 2010 – June 2011, Vice Commander, 60th Air Mobility Wing, Travis AFB, Calif.
13. June 2011 – June 2012, Commander, 376th Air Expeditionary Wing, Transit Center at Manas, Kyrgyz Republic
14. July 2012 – July 2013, Chief, Global Mobility Division, Deputy Chief of Staff for Strategic Planning and Programs, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Va.
15. July 2013 – April 2015, Chief Program Integration Division, Deputy Chief of Staff for Strategic Planning and Programs and Assistant Secretary of Financial Management and Comptroller, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Va.
16. May 2015 – June 2017, Inspector General, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
17. June 2017 – July 2019, Commander, Air Force District of Washington, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
18. July 2019 – present, Director of Training and Readiness, Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Va.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. June 2008 – July 2010, Deputy Foreign Policy Advisor, Headquarters U.S. Africa Command, Stuttgart, Germany, as a colonel
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 4,100
Aircraft flown: T-37B, T-38A, KC-135R/T, C-141B, KC-10A, C-12 and UH-1N
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal with silver oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 30, 1990
First Lieutenant May 30, 1992
Captain May 30, 1994
Major June 1, 2001
Lieutenant Colonel May 1, 2005
Colonel Oct. 8, 2008
Brigadier General June 5, 2015
Major General June 13, 2018
(Current as of July 2019)