Brig. Gen. William “Bill” Knight is Vice Commander, U.S. Air Force Expeditionary Center, Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst, New Jersey. The Expeditionary Center is the Air Force's Center of Excellence for advanced combat support training and education, and provides direct oversight for en route and installation support, contingency response and building partner capacity mission sets within the global mobility enterprise. The Expeditionary Center provides operational control of the Expeditionary Operations School and administrative control for five wings and two groups within Air Mobility Command. These units include the 87th Air Base Wing and the 621st Contingency Response Wing at JB McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst; the 515th Air Mobility Operations Wing at JB Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii; the 521st Air Mobility Operations Wing at Ramstein Air Base, Germany; the 628th Air Base Wing at JB Charleston, South Carolina; the 43rd Air Mobility Operations Group at Pope Field, North Carolina and the 627th Air Base Group at JB Lewis-McChord, Washington.
General Knight was commissioned in 1989 after graduating from Auburn University. He has held command positions at the squadron level and twice at the wing level. Additionally, he has held staff positions at Headquarters Air Mobility Command and on the Joint Staff. He has extensive operational flying experience, including several deployments supporting contingency and combat operations around the world. Prior to his current assignment, General Knight served as the Deputy Director for Operations, Operations Team Two, National Joint Operations and Intelligence Center on the Joint Staff in Washington, D.C.
General Knight is a command pilot with more than 2,800 flying hours in KC-135, C-130, UH-1 and T-38 aircraft.
Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Auburn University, Ala.
1990 Masters of Business Administration, Auburn University, Ala.
1995 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
1997 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2000 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2002 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2002 Masters of Military Operational Art/Science, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2004 Air War College, by correspondence
2008 Air Force Fellow, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.
2009 Joint and Combined Warfighting School, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2012 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Darden School of Business, University of Virginia, Charlottesville
2016 Senior Joint Information Operations Applications Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. June 1990 - June 1991, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Columbus AFB, Miss.
2. July 1991 - March 1994, C-141 Aircraft Maintenance Officer, 62nd Aircraft Generation Squadron, McChord AFB, Wash.
3. April 1994 - May 1998, C-130 Aircraft Commander, 39th Airlift Squadron, Dyess AFB, Texas
4. June 1998 - July 2001, KC-135 Evaluator Pilot, 905th Air Refueling Squadron and Executive Officer, 319th Air Refueling Wing, Grand Forks AFB, N.D.
5. August 2001 - June 2002, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
6. July 2002 - June 2004, Chief, Executive Development Branch, Directorate of Personnel, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
7. July 2004 - June 2007, Operations Officer, 22nd Operations Support Squadron, later Commander, 384th Air Refueling Squadron, McConnell AFB, Kan.
8. July 2007 - June 2008, Air Force Fellow, Foreign Affairs, Defense, and Trade Division, Congressional Research Service, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.
9. June 2008 - June 2010, Deputy Chief, Joint Education and Doctrine Division, Operational Plans and Joint Force Development Directorate, Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
10. July 2010 - June 2012, Vice Commander and later Commander, 374th Airlift Wing and Installation Commander, Yokota AB, Japan
11. July 2012 - July 2014, Commander, 11th Wing and Installation Commander, JB Andrews, Md.
12. July 2014 - May 2015, Deputy Director of Operations, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
13. June 2015 - September 2017, Deputy Director for Operations, Operations Team Two, National Joint Operations and Intelligence Center, Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
14. September 2017 – present, Vice Commander, U.S. Air Force Expeditionary Center, JB McGuire-Dix- Lakehurst, N.J.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. June 2008 - June 2010, Deputy Chief, Joint Education and Doctrine Division, Operational Plans and Joint Force Development Directorate, Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va., as a lieutenant colonel.
2. June 2015 - September 2017, Deputy Director for Operations, Operations Team Two, National Joint Operations and Intelligence Center, Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va., as a brigadier general.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: More than 2,800 hours
Aircraft Flown: KC-135, C-130, UH-1 and T-38
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Bronze Star Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
2002 Airlift/Tanker Association's Global Reach Award Winner
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Dec. 3, 1989
First Lieutenant Dec. 3, 1991
Captain Dec. 3, 1993
Major March 1, 2001
Lieutenant Colonel May 1, 2005
Colonel Aug. 1, 2010
Brigadier General Aug. 3, 2015
(Current as of September 2017)