Major General Andrew A. Croft is the Commander, 12th Air Force (Air Forces Southern), Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Arizona. Twelfth Air Force ensures the readiness of seven active duty wings and one direct reporting unit for contingency operations, and oversees 21 gained units from the Air Force Reserve and Air National Guard, totaling more than 630 aircraft with more than 45,000 Airmen. As the air and space component to U.S. Southern Command, Air Forces Southern conducts security cooperation and provides air, space, and cyberspace capabilities throughout Latin America and the Caribbean.
Major General Croft received his commission through ROTC at the University of California, Las Angeles, in 1988. Following pilot training at Columbus Air Force Base, Mississippi, he served in six flying assignments in the F-15C and flew in support of operations Southern Watch and Northern Watch. He is a graduate of the U.S. Air Force Weapons School and served as commander of the 49th Wing at Holloman Air Force, N.M. He is a command pilot with more than 3,100 flying hours.
1988 Bachelor of Arts, history, University of California, Los Angeles
1994 Master of Business Administration in aviation, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Fla.
1996 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1997 USAF Weapons Instructor Course, Nellis AFB, Nev.
2003 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2003 Master’s degree in military operational art and science, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 Master’s degree in national security strategy, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
1. May 1989 – May 1990, student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Columbus AFB, Miss.
2. June 1990 – September 1990, student, Lead-in Fighter Training, Holloman AFB, N.M.
3. September 1990 – February 1991, student, F-15C Replacement Training Unit, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
4. March 1991 – March 1995, Instructor Pilot/Mission Commander, 27th Fighter Squadron, Langley AFB, Va.
5. March 1995 – December 1997, F-15C Instructor Pilot/Academic Instructor, 2nd Fighter Squadron, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
6. January 1998 – July 2000, Weapons Officer, 67th Fighter Squadron, Kadena AB, Japan
7. July 2000 – July 2001, Advanced Programs Manager, Air Warfare Center, Nellis AFB, Nev.
8. July 2001 – July 2003, Instructor and Operations Officer, F-15C Division, USAF Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
9. July 2003 – July 2004, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
10. August 2004 – June 2005, Chief, Eglin Command Post and F-15C Instructor, 33rd Fighter Wing, Eglin AFB, Fla.
11. July 2005 – July 2007, Commander, 433d Weapons Squadron, U.S. Air Force Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
12. July 2007 – June 2008, student, Naval War College, Newport R.I.
13. July 2008 – July 2009, Executive Officer, Allied Air Component Command Headquarters, Izmir, Turkey
14. July 2009 – July 2010, Strategic Planner, Directorate for Strategic Plans and Policy, Joint Staff, Arlington, Va.
15. July 2010 – June 2012, Commander, 12th Operations Group, Randolph AFB, Texas
16. June 2012 – June 2014, Commander, 49th Wing, Holloman AFB, N.M.
17. June 2014 – June 2015, Vice Director of Operations, Headquarters North American Aerospace Defense Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
18. June 2015 – April 2017, Director, Plans Programs, Requirements and Assessments, Headquarters Air Education and Training Command, JB San Antonio-Randolph, Texas
19. April 2017 – July 2018, Deputy Commanding General – Air, Combined Joint Forces Land Component Command – Operation Inherent Resolve and Deputy Director, Joint Air Component Coordination Element, Combined Joint Task Force – Operation Inherent Resolve, Baghdad, Iraq
20. August 2018 – present, Commander, 12th Air Force, Air Combat Command, and Commander, Air Forces Southern, U.S. Southern Command, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. July 2008 – July 2009, Executive Officer, Allied Air Component Command Headquarters Izmir, Turkey, as a lieutenant colonel
2. July 2009 – July 2010, Strategic Planner, Directorate for Strategic Plans and Policy, Joint Staff, Washington D.C., as a colonel
3. June 2014 – June 2015, Vice Director of Operations, Headquarters North American Aerospace Defense Command, Peterson AFB, Colo., as a colonel
4. April 2017 – July 2018, Deputy Commanding General – Air, Combined Joint Forces Land Component Command – Operation Inherent Resolve, Baghdad, Iraq, as a brigadier general
5. August 2018 – present, Commander, Air Forces Southern, U.S. Southern Command, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz., as a major general
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: More than 3,100
Aircraft flown: A-10, MQ-1B, T-6A, F-15C, F-22, T-37B and T-38A.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with oak leaf cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATE OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant January 10, 1989
First Lieutenant January 10, 1991
Captain January 10, 1993
Major June 1, 2000
Lieutenant Colonel April 1, 2004
Colonel August 1, 2009
Brigadier General June 10, 2015
Major General August 3, 2018
(Current as of August 2018)