Brig. Gen. Gerald V. Goodfellow is the Director of Strategic Plans, Programs and Requirements, Headquarters Air Force Global Strike Command, Barksdale Air Force Base, Louisiana. He is responsible for strategic planning, establishing requirements and programming advocacy for the nation's Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missile force, B-1, B-2 and B-52 bombers, UH-1N helicopters, the E-4B National Airborne Operations Center Aircraft and Nuclear Command, Control and Communications systems, with a budget exceeding $10.2 billion. Encompassing more than 33,700 people, AFGSC provides combatant commanders with combat-ready forces to conduct strategic nuclear and global strike operations.
General Goodfellow entered the Air Force in 1990 from the University of New Mexico ROTC program. He has served as a B-1 instructor and evaluator Weapon Systems Officer, the Chief of the Air Staff Wargaming Branch responsible for executing the Chief of Staff’s annual Title 10 Wargame, a professor at the U.S. Army War College, the commander of a B-1 operations group, vice commander of a B-1 wing, commander of the 12th Flying Training Wing and the commander and commandant of Squadron Officer College.
Prior to his current position, he served as the Director of the Nuclear Enterprise at the Defense Threat Reduction Agency.
1989 Bachelor of Science degree in Economics, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque
1996 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1996 Master of Aerospace Management, Embry Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, Fla,
2003 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2003 Master of Military Operational Art and Science, Air University, Maxwell AFB. Ala.
2003 Air War College, by correspondence.
2008 Master of Strategic Studies, U.S. Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
2011 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Darden School of Business, University of Virginia, Charlottesville
2011 Public Policy Seminar, Capitol Hill Club, Washington, D.C.
2012 Leadership Enhancement Program, Center for Creative Leadership, Greensboro, N.C.
1. February 1990 - November 1990, Student, Undergraduate Navigator Training, Mather AFB, Calif.
2. March 1991 - July 1991, Student, KC-135 Combat Crew Training Squadron, Castle AFB, Calif.
3. July 1991 - October 1993, KC-135 Navigator, 917th Air Refueling Squadron, Dyess AFB, Texas
4. October 1993 - April 1994, Student, B-1 Offensive Systems Officer Training, B-1 Combat Crew Training Squadron, Dyess AFB, Texas
5. April 1994 - December 1996, B-1 offensive Systems Officer, Life Support Officer, And Training Flight Instructor Weapon System Officer, 9th Bomb Squadron, Dyess AFB, Texas
6. January 1997 - July 1999, Chief, Training Flight; Chief, Standardization and Evaluation; and Flight Commander, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
7. July 1999 - July 2002, Chief Weapon Systems Officer, Wing Standardization and Evaluation, and Executive Officer, 28th Bomb Wing, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
8. July 2002 - June 2003, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
9. June 2003 - May 2005, Chief of Wargaming Branch, Operational Plans and Joint Matters Directorate (the Skunks), Deputy Chief of Staff, Air and Space Operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
10. June 2005 - June 2006, Commander, Air Combat Command Training Support Squadron Det. 1, Luke AFB, Ariz.
11. June 2006 - July 2007, Deputy Commander, 28th Operations Group, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
12. July 2007 - June 2008, Student, U.S. Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
13. June 2008 - June 2010, Professor of Strategy, and Director, Joint Doctrine, U.S. Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
14. June 2010 - June 2011, Commander, 7th Operations Group, Dyess AFB, Texas
15. June 2011 - June 2012, Vice Commander, 7th Bomb Wing, Dyess AFB, Texas
16. June 2012 - June 2014, Commander, 12th Flying Training Wing, Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph, Texas
17. July 2014 - July 2016, Commander, Squadron Officer College, and Commandant, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
18. August 2016 – May 2018, Director, Nuclear Enterprise (J10), Defense Threat Reduction Agency, Fort Belvoir, Va.
19. May 2018 - present, Director of Strategic Plans, Programs, and Requirements, Headquarters Air Force Global Strike Command, Barksdale AFB, La.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. June 2008 – June 2010, Professor of Strategy, and Director, Joint Doctrine, U.S. Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pa., as a colonel
2. August 2016 – May 2018, Director, Nuclear Enterprise Support Directorate (J10), Defense Threat Reduction Agency, Fort Belvoir, Va., as a brigadier general
Rating: master navigator
Flight hours: more than 3,100
Aircraft flown: B-1, KC-135, T-1, T-38, T-6, T-43, T-37, UV-18, TG-16
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Distinguished Flying Cross with Valor
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
OTHER MAJOR AWARDS AND ACHIEVEMENTS
1995 Mackay Trophy, U.S. Air Force’s most meritorious flight of the year
1995 World Record Aviation, Nonstop Speed Around-the-World with refueling in flight
1999 General Ira C. Eaker Award, Outstanding Single Feat of Military Airmanship in 8th Air Force
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Feb. 2, 1990
First Lieutenant Sept. 24, 1991
Captain Sept. 24, 1993
Major Jan. 1, 2001
Lieutenant Colonel April 1, 2004
Colonel Sept. 1, 2009
Brigadier General July 1, 2015
(Current as of July 2018)