Brig. Gen. Paul A. Welch is Vice Commander, U.S. Air Force Warfare Center, Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada. The USAFWC's mission is developing innovative leaders and full spectrum capabilities through responsive, realistic, and relevant Air Force and Joint testing, tactics development, and advanced training across all levels of war.
The center ensures deployed forces are well trained and well equipped to conduct integrated combat operations. From operational testing and tactics development programs to the advanced training schools, exercises and venues, the center provides Airmen with proven and tested technology, the most current tactics, superb academic training and a unique opportunity to practice integrated force employment. The center functions as a team of innovative, highly skilled Airmen providing effective weapons, tactics, and command and control integrated across air, space and cyberspace for the Joint Force Commander. The USAFWC is organized under Air Combat Command into four wings, two named activities, and one detachment with more than 11,000 Airmen serving in the 57th Wing, 53rd Wing, 99th Air Base Wing, 505th Command and Control Wing, the Nevada Test and Training Range, and the Air Force Joint Test Program Office.
General Welch entered the Air Force in 1990 after graduating from the U.S. Air Force Academy. He has knowledge and experience in cyberspace operations, at various Air Force and joint levels. He has commanded at the company, squadron and wing levels. Prior to his current assignment, General Welch served as the Deputy Director of Air, Space and Cyberspace Operations, Peterson AFB, Colorado.EDUCATION
1990 Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
1994 Master of Engineering Management, Old Dominion University, Va.
1996 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Alabama.
2005 Master of Military Operational Art and Science, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2006 Master of Airpower Art and Science, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2006 Air War College, by correspondence
Master of National Security Strategy, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C. ASSIGNMENTS
1. August 1990 – November 1990, Student, Basic Communications-Computer Systems Officer Training, Keesler AFB, Miss.
2. December 1990 – April 1994, Command and Control System Development Engineer, Headquarters Tactical Air Command (then Air Combat Command), Langley AFB, Va.
3. May 1994 – August 1996, Flight Commander, 31st Combat Communications Squadron, Tinker AFB, Okla.
4. September 1996 – April 1999, Chief, Joint Task Force Plans Section; Charlie Company (ABN) Commander, Joint Communications Support Element, MacDill AFB, Fla.
5. May 1999 – June 2002, Action Officer, Contingency Plans; Chief, USAFE Network Operations and Security Center, Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe, Ramstein AB, Germany
6. July 2002 – July 2004, Commander, 366th Communications Squadron, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
7. July 2004 – June 2005, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
8. June 2005 – June 2006, Student, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
9. June 2006 – May 2008, Operations Officer, Joint Staff, Directorate of Operations, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
10. May 2008 – June 2009, Commander, 435th Communications Squadron, Ramstein AB, Germany
11. August 2009 – July 2010, Student, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
12. July 2010 – July 2011, Vice Commander, 67th Network Warfare Wing, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland AFB, Texas
13. July 2011 – July 2013, Commander, 688th Information Operations Wing, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland AFB, Texas
14. July 2013 – July 2014, Vice Commander, 24th Air Force, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas
15. July 2014 – July 2015, Deputy Director of Air, Space and Cyberspace Operations, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
16. August 2015 – present, Vice Commander, U.S. Air Force Warfare Center, Nellis AFB, Nev.SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
May 1994 - August 1996, Joint Task Force Plans Section; Charlie Company (ABN) Commander, Joint Communications Support Element, as a captain. MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
June 2006 - May 2008, Operations Officer, Joint Staff, Directorate of Operations, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C, as a Lieutenant Colonel
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Army Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Combat Readiness Medal with oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
National Intelligence Exceptional Achievement MedalEFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
May 30, 1990
May 30, 1992
May 30, 1994
July 1, 2001
March 1, 2006
Oct. 1, 2009
Aug. 2, 2015
(Current as of March 2017)