William E. MacLure is the Deputy Director of Training and Readiness, Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. The directorate, encompassing seven divisions and the Air Force Agency for Modeling and Simulation, is responsible for policy, guidance and oversight of Air Force operational training infrastructure, officer and enlisted operations career field management, operational readiness and reporting and aircrew management.
Mr. MacLure served on active duty in the Air Force from 1981 to 2006 in a variety of operational, training, test and staff assignments. He commanded at the squadron and group level, and accumulated over 3,600 flying hours, including over 300 in combat. Following his active-duty retirement, he transitioned to federal civil service in 2007 where he shaped and directed operational capability requirements at Headquarters U.S. Air Force as the Deputy of the Combat Forces Division, Deputy Director of Requirements Integration, and now as the Deputy Director of Current Operations.
1980 Bachelor of Science in civil engineering, University of Lowell, Lowell, Mass.
1986 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1990 Master of Aeronautical Science, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Bitburg Air Base, Germany
1993 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
1996 Air War College (seminar), Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2001 Master of Science in national resource strategy, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, National Defense University, Washington, D.C.
2011 U.S. Air Force Civilian Leadership Development Seminar, Federal Executive Institute, Charlottesville, Va.
2015 National and International Security Leadership Seminar, Washington, DC
1. March 1981 – February 1982, student, undergraduate pilot training, Laughlin AFB, Texas
2. February 1982 – July 1982, student, pilot instructor training, Randolph AFB, Texas
3. July 1982 – July 1986, T-37 instructor, check pilot and flight examiner, 47th Flying Training Wing, Laughlin AFB, Texas
4. July 1986 – October 1986, student, lead-in fighter training, Holloman AFB, N.M.
5. November 1986 - May 1987, student, F-15 Replacement Training Unit, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
6. May 1987 – April 1990, F-15 instructor pilot, flight Examiner, and flight commander, 525th and 22nd Tactical Fighter Squadrons, 36th Tactical Fighter Wing, Bitburg AB, Germany
7. August 1990 – December 1990, student, U.S. Air Force F-15 Fighter Weapons Instructor Course, Nellis AFB, Nev.
8. January 1991 – June 1992, Chief of Weapons and Tactics, 2nd Fighter Squadron, 325th Fighter Wing, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
9. June 1992 – June 1995, Chief, F-15 Projects Branch and Deputy Chief, Tactics and Test, 57th Test Group, 57th Wing, Nellis AFB, Nev.
10. June 1995 – February 1997, Chief, Advanced Programs, Headquarters Pacific Air Forces, Hickam AFB, Hawaii
11. February 1997 – June 2000, Operations Officer and Commander, 493rd Fighter Squadron, 48th Fighter Wing, Lakenheath AB, England
12. June 2000 – June 2001, Student, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
13. June 2001 – April 2003, Operations Officer and Senior Executive Assistant for the Director of Operations, Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
14. April 2003 – March 2004, 39th Air Base Group Commander, Incirlik AB, Turkey
15. March 2004 – July 2006, Checkmate Division Chief, Operations Directorate, Headquarters Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington D.C.
16. July 2006 – May 2007, Project Director, Dynamic Analytics and Test, Rosslyn, Va.
17. May 2007 – May 2010, Deputy Division Chief, Combat Forces Division, Operational Capability Requirements Directorate, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
18. May 2010 – August 2015, Deputy Director, Requirements Integration, Operational Capability Requirements Directorate, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C
19. August 2015 – May 2017, Deputy Director, Current Operations, Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
20. June 2017 – present, Deputy Director, Training and Readiness, Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit Bronze Star Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Meritorious Civilian Service Award
(Current as of July 2017)