Brig. Gen. Christopher P. Azzano serves as the Director, Air, Space and Cyberspace Operations, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. In this position, he is responsible for shaping the workforce and cyber-secure infrastructure for operations to test, field and sustain agile war-winning capabilities. He is also responsible for the command's flight and test policy, and resource allocation for flight management, airfield services, weather services and command and control operations and plans.
General Azzano has flown more than 2,900 hours in 35 aircraft types as an instructor pilot, evaluator pilot and experimental test pilot. He has conducted developmental tests on a wide range of aircraft and weapons, and has commanded at the squadron, group and twice at the wing level.
General Azzano is a graduate of the Air Force Intern Program, the Air Force Legislative Fellowship and the Air War College. He holds master's degrees in aerospace engineering and strategic studies. He was previously assigned as the Commander, 96th Test Wing, Eglin AFB, Florida, where he led more than 9,800 military, civilian and contractor personnel in accomplishing the wing’s missions of developmental testing and evaluation in addition to providing all base operating support, infrastructure and services support for the Department of Defense’s largest installation.
1987 Bachelor of Science in Aerospace Engineering, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Ind.
1988 Master of Science in Aerospace Engineering, Stanford University, Stanford, Calif.
1997 Certificate in Organizational Management, George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
1998 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2000 U.S. Air Force Test Pilot School, Edwards AFB, Calif.
2006 Air Force Legislative Fellowship, Washington, D.C.
2007 Certificate in Legislative Studies, Georgetown University, Washington, D.C.
2011 Master of Strategic Studies, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2012 Center for Creative Leadership, Greensboro, N.C.
2014 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
1. February 1991 - April 1992, Student, Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training, Sheppard AFB, Texas
2. May 1992 - March 1993, Flight Safety Officer, Sheppard AFB, Texas
3. April 1993 - June 1993, Student, Lead-in Fighter Training, Holloman AFB, N.M.
4. July 1993 - February 1994, Student, F-15E Replacement Training Unit, Luke AFB, Ariz.
5. March 1994 - July 1996, F-15E Pilot, 336th Fighter Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
6. August 1996 - November 1997, Air Force Intern, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
7. December 1997 - June 1999, F-15E Instructor Pilot, Wing Executive Officer, 391st Fighter Squadron, 366th Air Expeditionary Wing, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
8. July 1999 - June 2000, student, U.S. Air Force Test Pilot School, Edwards AFB, Calif.
9. July 2000 - April 2003, F-15 Experimental Test Pilot, F-15 Chief Pilot, F-15 Flight Commander, 40th Flight Test Squadron, Eglin AFB, Fla.
10. May 2003 - August 2005, Assistant Operations Officer, Operations Officer, data masked
11. September 2005 - December 2006, Air Force Legislative Fellow, Washington, D.C.
12. January 2007 - June 2008, Chief, Advanced Weapons and Sensors Division, Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition, Special Programs Directorate, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
13. June 2008 - July 2010, Commander, Flight Test Squadron, Data Masked
14. July 2010 - June 2011, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
15. June 2011 - June 2013, Commander, 412th Operations Group, Edwards AFB, Calif.
16. June 2013 - June 2015, Commander, 72nd Air Base Wing, Tinker AFB, Okla.
17. June 2015 - June 2017, Commander, 96th Test Wing, Eglin AFB, Fla.
18. June 2017–present, Director, Air, Space and Cyberspace Operations, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
Rating: command pilot
Flight Hours: more than 2,900
Aircraft Flown: 35 different types, including the F-15E, F-15C, F-16 and C-12
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with oak leaf cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
2015 Air Force Materiel Command Jerome F. O'Malley Award (Wing Commander and Spouse Team)
2001 U.S. Air Force Lt. Gen. Bobby Bond Memorial Aviator Award
2001 Air Armament Center NDIA Military Tester of the Year
2001 Air Armament Center Daedalian Exceptional Pilot Award
Liethen-Tittle Award, U.S. Air Force Test Pilot School, Class 99B
1992 Orville Wright Achievement Award, Order of the Daedalians
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Feb. 13, 1991
First Lieutenant Feb. 13, 1993
Captain Feb. 13, 1995
Major Feb. 1, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel March 1, 2006
Colonel Sept. 1, 2010
Brigadier General Sept. 2, 2015
(Current as of August 2017)